Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Armpit pain when touched? Ugh, this seems dumb but... I need help.  (Read 296 times)

Offline Air Nomad

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I am always thinking there's something wrong with me.  I hate it.  I recently started on 20 mg of Prozac, but until that kicks in (hopefully)...

Yesterday the skin under my right armpit was itchy and felt bumpy.  I knew it was probably light irritation from shaving that would go away in a day or so.  That's not my issue.  My problem started when I went to scratch it and the light pressure I applied to the area caused a very faint painful (maybe just more tender) sensation under the skin.  My mind automatically went to the worst-case scenario. 

I don't feel anything unusual - no lumps or bumps or swelling, nothing.  Just slight pain when poked.  But now I'm not sure if maybe it's just a sensitive area by nature and I happened to poke it in just the right way while scratching the skin to make me feel the sensation.  And of course now that I've been poking and prodding to see if it still hurts maybe I'm making it worse.  Or is it possible that irritation from shaving can irritate the lymph nodes under the skin causing this slight pain?  It's definitely beneath the skin.

I honestly don't know if this is one of those imagined things where the "pain" is just heightened from my HA where a "normal" person wouldn't think twice about it.  I don't really poke and prod my armpit area too much so I'm not sure if this is just a normally sensitive area and if poking it would result in the sensation I'm feeling or if this isn't normal.  So now I don't know whether I should worry or not.

I really need people to talk me down or talk some sense into me!
Bookmark and Share
Sokka: "Do you want me to be like you or be totally honest?"
Katara: "Are you saying I'm a liar?"
Sokka: "No, I'm saying you're an optimist. Same thing really."
(This is me and my husband to a tee)

Offline Air Nomad

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Armpit pain when touched? Ugh, this seems dumb but... I need help.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 11:23:23 AM »
Please, anyone?  When no one replies it feels like it's because they have nothing good to say :-\
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 98
    • Poke This Member
Re: Armpit pain when touched? Ugh, this seems dumb but... I need help.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 12:48:36 PM »
Hi Air Nomad,

Stop poking yourself! :angry-smiley-034: Seriously, armpits are sensitive areas, so you rooting around in there isn't helping.

I know it's hard to keep yourself from jumping to the worst case scenario, but really, what good does that do? From even your brief post, it's quite obvious that you're over-thinking this WAY too much. Just because your armpit hurts when you poke at it does not mean there's something bad going on—no swollen lymph nodes, no cancer, etc. Try telling yourself that when you start to get into these thought spirals. We're all very familiar with that sort of downward slope thinking—"what if this," or "what if that," and suddenly we're on the brink of death.

Pump the brakes! You're fine.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline Air Nomad

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 03:01:13 PM »
Hi Air Nomad,

Stop poking yourself! :angry-smiley-034: Seriously, armpits are sensitive areas, so you rooting around in there isn't helping.

I know it's hard to keep yourself from jumping to the worst case scenario, but really, what good does that do? From even your brief post, it's quite obvious that you're over-thinking this WAY too much. Just because your armpit hurts when you poke at it does not mean there's something bad going on—no swollen lymph nodes, no cancer, etc. Try telling yourself that when you start to get into these thought spirals. We're all very familiar with that sort of downward slope thinking—"what if this," or "what if that," and suddenly we're on the brink of death.

Pump the brakes! You're fine.

Thank you once again, Vardnas.  You always have a way of laying people's fears to rest in a matter-of-fact way.  I appreciate it a lot.  It's so hard to stop poking it because I'm like: does it still hurt?  Maybe I'll feel a lump now, etc, etc.  But I know poking it's probably making it worse if not what caused it in the first place.  So I'll stop prodding it and see how it is in a couple days  :P  Is there ever an end to this madness?  Ugh, I'm so sick of myself.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 06:14:03 PM »
Air Nomad...  wait a few days I bet a zit will appear (no head, just a pimple), I get those under my arms.  It will just hurt very faintly, then a little worse, then I can actually see the red pimple - it lasts a few days and goes away.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: