Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: An anxiety med that works!  (Read 343 times)

Offline snowmanrn

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
An anxiety med that works!
« on: January 21, 2014, 11:42:34 PM »
I'm not sure what everybody has tried but I have tried a lot of different treatments and medications for GAD. In my opinion most meds will not work or will lose efficacy after a while (even Xanax and Klonopin) and will need to be cycled on and off. That being said, I have gotten the best relief from Lyrica (pregabalin). I have been on it for about 5 years now and have escalated the dose, but for the most part IT WORKS! It is expensive and getting insurance to pay for it is nearly impossible but there is no price on anxiety relief. I think the patent doesn't expire until 2018 but check out Pfizer Connection to Care Program on their website (I got it my first year for free). Many doctors and psychiatrists are aware of this drug for fibromyalgia treatment but not for anxiety because while it is approved for anxiety treatment in Europe, it is not in the U.S. Ask Mr. Prescriber for a free sample bottle and try it.

I think I am to suffer with this illness for the rest of my life and I feel very bad that others have to endure this as well. It IS a continuous struggle but while there is a lot of suffering there certainly can be enjoyment in life.

I welcome any help or advice from others!

Snowmanrn
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 21
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: An anxiety med that works!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 01:02:12 PM »
Hi Snowmanrn...

Yes, I have read where Lyrica is used to treat generalized anxiety disorder, and is approved for this use in the European Union and Russia, as of 2007.

I would suggest that you submit this post over on the "Medications and Therapy" section of the forum, to see what response you get.

The very best to you, Snowmanrn!...  Chuck

Bookmark and Share

Offline geo_eccentric

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 06:54:35 PM »
Hmm, interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gale

• Rec's: 1
  • My grand dog!!!!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 07:20:13 PM »
Snowmann, what other meds have you tried?  Iam also having the same problem, nomeds really take away all my physical  symptoms. I fear I will neve be normal again. Glad to hear Lyrica works for you!!!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline scb07d

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 07:35:58 PM »
I'm not sure there is a med that takes away serious anxiety without being addictive/harmful. I mean, if you start using illicit drugs, your anxiety will go away. But a drug that's strong enough to take away high levels of anxiety, but isn't problematic... seems unlikely. Benzos are pretty useful, but you can only take them for so long before it becomes a problem.

I haven't tried Lyrica though... definitely something I'd like to do at some point.
Bookmark and Share

Offline snowmanrn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 09:17:19 PM »
Hi Snowmanrn...

Yes, I have read where Lyrica is used to treat generalized anxiety disorder, and is approved for this use in the European Union and Russia, as of 2007.

I would suggest that you submit this post over on the "Medications and Therapy" section of the forum, to see what response you get.

The very best to you, Snowmanrn!...  Chuck

Chuck sorry this is my first time on a forum and I am computer illiterate. Not sure if I am replying to your comment correctly. Thanks for the advice. I will post it in that section.
Bookmark and Share

Offline snowmanrn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 09:37:18 PM »
Snowmann, what other meds have you tried?  Iam also having the same problem, nomeds really take away all my physical  symptoms. I fear I will neve be normal again. Glad to hear Lyrica works for you!!!!!!

Gale, I was on Xanax for a few years but it got to the point where it would relieve my anxiety a little but would rebound back worse so I moved on to Klonopin which has a longer half life so works much better. I was on this for about a year and then decided to try and get off it because I was afraid of getting permanent memory loss. I have tried SSRI's (paxil and zoloft). SSRI's and SSNRI's are great drugs in my opinion FOR SOME, but they cause serious insomnia in about 20-25% of the population taking them and I was one of them. They help depression and anxiety, but for me I felt crazy and cracked out on them. I couldn't sleep even on a low dose and was taking 300mg of Trazadone every night just to put me down. Trazadone didn't help anxiety or depression either, it just helped me sleep. I did Remeron for a few years. It is supposed to help with depression but mostly I just took it for the sedative effect. I've never tried Buspar because I wasn't confident it was strong enough to help me. I've never tried Amitriptyline because I was afraid it would give me gynecomastia.

Currently I am taking Seroquel (anti-psychotic) 200 mg every night to help sleep. It is the most powerful sedative I have tried. I also take Lyrica 100mg three times a day. I still toss and turn at night and often pop an Ambien in the middle of the night. I would LOVE to be off all of this but haven't found a way yet. Anyway, Lyrica is awesome. I'm unsure why more people haven't tried it. I have SEVERE anxiety and it has been the best help. Waaaay better than Benzo's and won't knock you out. For me no side effects just helps me feel hmmmmm normal. Having gone on and off it a few times I will say you need to taper off of it and it is likely you will still have some mild withdrawal symptoms. Also it is a schedule V drug so some docs aren't comfortable prescribing it which is stupid. Definitely look into it.

I did my master's project for Family Nurse Practitioner school on anxiety and anxiety treatment and learned a lot but still searching for the ultimate cure.

Bookmark and Share

Offline snowmanrn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 09:49:43 PM »
I'm not sure there is a med that takes away serious anxiety without being addictive/harmful. I mean, if you start using illicit drugs, your anxiety will go away. But a drug that's strong enough to take away high levels of anxiety, but isn't problematic... seems unlikely. Benzos are pretty useful, but you can only take them for so long before it becomes a problem.

I haven't tried Lyrica though... definitely something I'd like to do at some point.

Alcohol and narcotics (even Benzo's) may definitely work but mostly will result in some sort of long term problem in my opinion. I'm just trying to find a cure or relief like everyone else. Lyrica has helped me a lot. I highly recommend trying it is all.
Bookmark and Share

Offline snowmanrn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 09:53:03 PM »
Hmm, interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Your welcome!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gale

• Rec's: 1
  • My grand dog!!!!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 10:00:33 PM »
This is quite a story!!!!!! For some reason my doc will not change my meds. I have no clue why. My anxiety has been going on for years and years. I was worried about having MS, but with numerous MRI"s that were all normal, I was diagnosed with HA. I find it so difficult to accept this is my problem, especially when meds don't really work. I also take 1mg of Ativan daily, which helps to take the edge off.  Will I ever feel normal again!!!!!!!  Thanks so much for responding.
Bookmark and Share

Offline snowmanrn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 10:13:28 AM »
This is quite a story!!!!!! For some reason my doc will not change my meds. I have no clue why. My anxiety has been going on for years and years. I was worried about having MS, but with numerous MRI"s that were all normal, I was diagnosed with HA. I find it so difficult to accept this is my problem, especially when meds don't really work. I also take 1mg of Ativan daily, which helps to take the edge off.  Will I ever feel normal again!!!!!!!  Thanks so much for responding.

Gale are you seeing a family doctor or an actual psychiatrist? You definitely need to be going to a psychiatrist that is more familiar with the specific psych drugs if not already. Furthermore while they are trained professionals, everyone responds differently to different meds. I am the only one that has been in control of my disorder. The doctors can give you ideas but ultimately you are the one taking care of yourself and taking the meds. I would do some research on different medications and then start making decisions about what you want to try. Be assertive with your doctor. If he/she isn'w willing to listen then you need to find a new one. I don't mean to dissuade you from your doctor's advice but you aren't getting relief and let's make no mistake.....this is big business. In our world of health/medicine and pharmacotherapeutics, it is all about making money.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 13
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 10:46:55 AM »

Gale are you seeing a family doctor or an actual psychiatrist? You definitely need to be going to a psychiatrist that is more familiar with the specific psych drugs if not already. Furthermore while they are trained professionals, everyone responds differently to different meds. I am the only one that has been in control of my disorder. The doctors can give you ideas but ultimately you are the one taking care of yourself and taking the meds. I would do some research on different medications and then start making decisions about what you want to try. Be assertive with your doctor. If he/she isn'w willing to listen then you need to find a new one. I don't mean to dissuade you from your doctor's advice but you aren't getting relief and let's make no mistake.....this is big business. In our world of health/medicine and pharmacotherapeutics, it is all about making money.

Well, I certainly agree that not all medical practitioners are great and if someone is not receiving help from theirs they should go elsewhere. But I do have to comment on that last statement: "It is all about making money" Well....that's certainly part of the motivation. Doctors, PAs, nurses, pharmacists....you do realize they need to feed their families too and keep a home yes? Just as any other person in a different line of work.  And family practice or mental health is not a big "money maker" in medicine. So, no, for most of these people it's not "all about making money" it IS about helping people.

I am glad to hear the lyrica has been a big help to you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline snowmanrn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 06:55:56 PM »
Agree to disagree. My experiences as a nurse for over 10 years, as a student in nurse practitioner school, and now as a chronic psych patient have taught me otherwise. These pharmaceutical companies are raking in billlllions. I am a hard working middle class stiff just like everyone else---In fact I work for one of the most prestigious university hospitals in the nation. Lyrica is basically the only medication that keeps me from thinking about jumping out of a window everyday. My monthly out of pocket expense for it is $350. Hmmmmm. Well this is just taste of the soap box and I'm not on here to argue. I just think people really should be helped.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: