Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: *****, media causing HA  (Read 161 times)

Offline hypo5150

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
*****, media causing HA
« on: January 21, 2014, 08:40:16 PM »
Does anyone else read health stories from other people on ***** or other media and get freaked out about said disease? I accidentally ran across two pages memorializing people who had brain cancer.  HA is in overdrive now!
Bookmark and Share

Offline hypo5150

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: 0409, media causing HA
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 08:41:10 PM »
That was supposed to be *****. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline hypo5150

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 08:41:43 PM »
Ok. Social media, then!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline MOchp

• Anxiety Magnet
  • Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Cold
    Cold
  • Living in Fear of My Own Body
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 08:51:28 PM »
I'm sure it happens to a lot of us hypos. I just read something a day or two ago related to my worry that is still stuck in my mind. I'll click on something and read it knowing it's not going to have a positive effect on my anxiety or mental well being in general. It's like I can't help myself, and it usually ends up with my worrying because of it or fighting off thoughts from it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline RussulaEmetica

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 08:59:16 PM »
One of the worst things that kept happening when I was having HA about cancer was I kept seeing cancer things...EVERYWHERE. Billboards, social media, magazines, in stores, EVERYWHERE. It felt very ominous and deliberate. Gotta remember that fear sells and many media outlets, unfortunately, use that to their advantage.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bunsen112

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 12:31:30 AM »
It works both ways: Social media can definitely aggravate our HA, and our HA can make us notice or attend to things we wouldn't otherwise think very much about. Either way it can increase our (false) sense of doom.

Something like this happened to me that's so weird I still can't quite believe it. About a year ago, I was convinced that I had an extremely rare form of blood cancer based on a perfectly normal blood test and my too-active tendency to see patterns. My fears got worse despite the reassurances of my primary care doc WHO WAS A HEMATOLOGIST (!) that everything was fine. I eventually did an intensive run of CBT and got my fears under control -- not that I'm cured of HA, but it's a lot calmer.

About three months after my CBT ended, I was walking downtown (in the suburb of San Francisco where I live) when I passed a restaurant hall full of people listening to a woman giving a PowerPoint presentation. At the very instant I looked in (it was night time), she pulled up a slide describing the exact same form of blood cancer that I had been obsessing about! She was clearly talking to a bunch of medical professionals about recent treatment advances. Had I still been in the grip of my HA, I would have thought, "Oh, that means I MUST have it. What else could it mean?"

But by then, I was able to recognize it for what it was: A coincidence. If I hadn't gone down the rabbit hole of learning about the disease I just KNEW I had, I probably would never have noticed what was on the slide. I would have glanced in and kept on going. I might not have even registered the words. I recognized the name of the disease only because I'd been thinking about it so much!

So, yep, we see what we're thinking about and we think too much about what we see.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: