Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Why doesn't anybody understand?  (Read 271 times)

Offline sgreens1

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Why doesn't anybody understand?
« on: January 21, 2014, 05:19:19 PM »
My parents and my husband are mad at me and frustrated by my anxiety/depression. I am not having a good time, obviously, and it seems like instead of support, I just get yelled at and judged. If I could just get over it, I would. I ran out of Xanax and am going through some rebound anxiety, and skipped therapy this morning because I was afraid I would start bawling my eyes out from anxiety. I've only been taking Xanax for 2 months, and I'm not sure if it's dangerous to quit all of a sudden, but I was too embarrassed to tell my new psychiatrist that I ran out early. I just want someone to understand.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Soccer_Dude

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Why doesn't anybody understand?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 06:34:52 PM »
Hi,

I would call your doctor as soon as possible.  You could develop withdrawal symptoms even after only being on Xanax for two months.  If you don't plan on taking it again, then you might talk to your doctor about tapering off of it.  It might not take too long to taper off since you've only been on it two months.  But I'd check with your doctor to see what is best.

Some people don't understand what we are going through because they've never gone through it themselves. 

I totally understand the anxiety and depression stuff.  I was hit with major anxiety/panic, then insomnia and then depression (out of the blue).  Some of my family just didn't understand.  They thought it was all in my head and that some counseling could cure it.  If I could just get over it I would.  I think my exact words to my family were, do you think I want to feel this way? Well, my anxiety/panic/depression was physical in nature not mental.  I believe my anxiety/panic/depression was due to low Serotonin, etc....  And after 2.5 years of anxiety/panic/insomia/depression (then a spinal surgery) I believe I developed adrenal fatigue. I'm slowly recovering from all of this.

Of course, there can be a mental aspect to it, like for me I was always panicking about my many symptoms, etc.... And I believe due to how I lived my life for many years, (attitude about certain things, some OCD, worry, etc..) put undo stress on my mind/body which might have led to my physical anxiety/depression, etc.....Looking back I wish I had done certain things differently.  For some people genetics play a role as depression and anxiety run in the family. This was also the case for me.  I had some genetic testing done and it seems I have issues with methylation that could lead to lower neurotransmitters....(Long story short)....So, it's not always mental but some times physical.

Counseling is definitely important if your anxiety/depression is mental in nature.  Some times we need to hear someone we trust point out some things in our lives that could be triggers and then help us cope and work through them/heal and move forward.  If you anxiety/depression is more physical in nature, counseling is still valuable as they can help you cope and stay focused on positive things while you are healing.  My counselor gave me some good advice that helped me to start mentally healing from all the physical anguish I went through during this time.  Whether your anxiety/depression is mental or physical in nature, counseling is a good idea and nothing to be embarrassed about getting.

My biggest recommendation is to get treatment whether it's natural, medicine, counseling or some of each before your symptoms get worse making it harder to recover.  You can recover!!!  You can get better, but some times it can take time, at least it did with me. Some people can recover within weeks treatment.  I would also suggest seeing a ND (Naturopathic) doctor (my personal preference) if you can afford one.  If you have insurance, see if they will cover a ND.  They can help you with certain testing, diet, nutrition and recommend natural products that can help support your body and even help with the anxiety and depression.  But, whatever the route you take, ND, MD, etc.... Just make sure you get help and work on recovery.  I spent too much time panicking about my symptoms etc... And so I tried so many different things (starting then stopping) and taking test after test, etc... I think that was also hard on my body.  So, try to stick with one treatment, give it time.  From what I've heard, you can feel worse before you feel better. If that is the case, do communicate with your doctor, friends/family about how you feel, etc...If something just isn't working or is making you feel a lot worse, then there are other treatments available.  You can get better!

I've learned many lessons from my experience. I can't go back and fix things, but I can move forward and hopefully make better choices in life, and also encourage others who are going through similar issues. 

Myself and others here at Anxiety Zone do understand what you are going through!  :)

I hope and pray that you feel better soon!!!

Soccer
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 10:07:29 PM »
My parents and my husband are mad at me and frustrated by my anxiety/depression. I am not having a good time, obviously, and it seems like instead of support, I just get yelled at and judged. If I could just get over it, I would. I ran out of Xanax and am going through some rebound anxiety, and skipped therapy this morning because I was afraid I would start bawling my eyes out from anxiety. I've only been taking Xanax for 2 months, and I'm not sure if it's dangerous to quit all of a sudden, but I was too embarrassed to tell my new psychiatrist that I ran out early. I just want someone to understand.

You have a medical condition, specifically a brain issue, like all of us who visit this forum.   However you can't rely on benzodiazepines (like Xanax) as your method of anxiety control with your brain.  If you weren't aware, Xanax has a very short half life, meaning it fizzles out quickly in comparison to the other benzodiazepines.  If you were planning to take benzodiazepines long term, you should have opted for Valium (Diazepam) or Clonazepam (Klonopin) due to their longer half lives.   When taking psychotropic medications, always follow the direction of your doctor, and keep the doctor in the loop about your dosage levels.  Never self medicate yourself about how to take your medications.

Hopefully your new doctor will prescribe you another antidepressant.  You may want to explore the tricyclics, because you may have fizzled out of SSRIs from starting and stopping them over your history.    There is a medical condition called tachyphylaxis, where antidepressants loose their effect, after a period of disruption and then another period of return.  This stop and start cycle seems to make the antidepressant loose effect each and every time the cycle occurs.  For this reason, it's to the benefit of an antidepressant user, with a severe case of anxiety like yourself, to be on medication for life.  Unfortunately, for many of us anxiety disorder sufferers, it also may take some negative experiences, where we are loosing control, to make us face the reality that we really need to be on meds.

When you talk to your doctor again, you may want to discuss tricylcics as an option, if the SSRIs aren't working for you anymore.  Likewise there is also the option of taking a MAOI.  These two types of meds tend to work better when the user can't seem to find any relief from SSRIs.

And .... sorry if this is too much data crunched in a post. If you're currently on an antidepressant, such as Lexapro at 20mg, but not getting results, one other option is for you, or for you to ask your psychiatrist, to add Buspar (buspirone) at a high dose. The Buspar(buspirone) may reactivate the Lexapro (Escitalopram) to work again, since the Lexapro at 20mg isn't controlling your anxiety as it should.

Again, discuss these issues with your doctor.
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline snowmanrn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 10:14:27 PM »
I've been a chronic sufferer of severe anxiety and have spent countless hours trying to describe the physical sensation of anxiety to family and friends and NOBODY but another anxiety sufferer understands. They always ask me what my triggers are. Seriously! There are no triggers, IT IS JUST THERE!

It is a good idea to stay on a drug or taper it slowly or expect to feel like hell. I never though I would be on meds for the rest of my life but have accepted that as a real possibility now. If the drugs help, take them.

We are all going through the same thing and understand.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kaze~chan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 03:21:25 PM »
So many people don't understand anxiety at first. They don't get that you can't control it. I often get responses along the lines of "Just stop worrying about it" or "Why worry about something you can't control?" People just don't understand that you don't WANT to worry about it. They think you have a choice and a lot of times, we don't.
You should keep going to therapy and call your doctor about the Xanax. If your therapist takes phone calls, you should give them a call to tell them that you're struggling. He or she wants to help you. They won't mind if you start crying; sometimes, you just need that release of emotion. Keeping it inside for a long time just ensures that the dam you set up will eventually break loose. And trust me, the doctor won't mind that you ran out early. They just want you to feel better. If they wrote you a wrong prescription, you need to call and get it adjusted. You shouldn't have to suffer for someone else's mistake.
I hope everything works out.
God bless!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: