Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: So I was literally a patient at a cancer center today.  (Read 1146 times)

Offline eva1227

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: So I was literally a patient at a cancer center today.
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 11:13:59 AM »
With numbers like that I think a bone marrow is pretty invasive. I did not have a bone marrow. If my numbers did not go up to with the prednisone than I would have needed one. 129 and 132 are barely outside of normal. I'm not a doctor, but I would definitely want a second opinion before having a bone marrow.
How did they find the low numbers? Were you sick? My spleen was never swollen. Please, please never let them talk them you into having your spleen removed as a cure. It rarely cures ITP. If ultimately you are diagnosed with ITP, I will give you a website that will give you great information and great people to talk to. They were great to me and helped me tremendously. You can PM me if you need to.

Eva
Bookmark and Share

Offline chasingdogma

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • How I Choose to Feel is How I Am
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 03:58:04 PM »
Chasingdogma and eva1227: How did you/your mother get the diagnosis of ITP? Did you/your mother need a bone marrow biopsy?
I don't remember her getting a biopsy. I know she discovered it because she kept bruising really bad and her periods lasted much longer than usual. It took quite a few months for the doctors to diagnose.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: So I was literally a patient at a cancer center today. - Update
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 12:39:37 AM »
So, I went back to get my test results. This doctor takes FOR.EVER. and I waited 2 hours before I actually saw her. So in the meantime patients were coming and going, phone was ringing off the hook with talk of hospice and transfusions and chemo. By the time I got back into a room, I was in tears, my pulse was 141! and the only thing I could do was sing Jesus Loves Me (my 3 year old son and I sing that together every night as I tuck him in, so it brought comfort when I sang it. Not just for the lyrics themselves, but also thinking about tucking my son in at night - my favorite time of day....lol for multiple reasons..).

So the doctor came in and I reminded her that I have an enormous cancer phobia. And she says "Well, you don't have cancer. Nor do you have lupus or rheumatoid arthritis." She noticed that one of the tests came back positive for prolonged clotting time. She explained that my blood takes longer to clot then normal, so we needed to do more blood work. She wants to find out why. So she tested me for hemophelia, which is more common in men then women, but she said when women have it, it's usually a milder form. And she also tested me for Von Willebrand disease - which is where your blood takes longer to clot and it could decrease your platelet count. For both of these diseases there is nothing much you can do, other then tell your doctors about them before going into any type of surgery.

Also, I have a platelet antibody, so my immune system attacks and destroys my platelets. My doctor told me that my platelet count could very from day to day, and we'll just keep an eye on it. No biggie.

She didn't ONCE mention a bone marrow biopsy - Praise God! What a good appointment. I have another one in two weeks to go over this new blood work, and I'm already dreading it. I HATE going to the cancer center and sitting in the waiting room with cancer patients. My anxiety goes through the roof! Literally....to tears.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mta214

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 07:14:21 AM »
As someone who is currently going for medical testing and waiting for results, I can definitely understand your anxiety.  It can.be extremely overwhelming!  Try to focus on the fact that the doctor told you that you don't have cancer.  That is VERY good news!!  Good luck with the other test results.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MorningGlory

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 10:18:26 AM »
Thank you for sharing your story with us and the good news! This types of posts are good for us HA sufferers, and when you follow through with the full story it's extra appreciated because it shows us that so many things can seem catastrophic, but we shouldn't jump to conclusions because it's unlikely something serious.   :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: