Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Simple partial seizure or panic attack?  (Read 521 times)

Offline oikio

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Simple partial seizure or panic attack?
« on: January 21, 2014, 12:29:58 AM »
I've always been terrified of having a seizure or a tumor. For 3 months I've been having headaches almost daily. I've been to a bunch of doctors and they can't find anything. I twitch daily and also see flashes of color occasionally, not light. Thinking I had a brain tumor, I had an MRI and it was normal. But recently I've experienced this weird feeling, smelling something for about 2 seconds, feeling a huge wave of fear, suddenly sweating (it was hot in the room though) depersonalization and a feeling of the room spinning or me moving. I never had a panic attack or a seizure before, but I can't differentiate the two because the symptoms are so close to each other. I can remember though that when I experienced whatever it was, I was anxious because I was in public and afraid something will happen the whole day. So I don't know what I'm having. Please give some insight? Do I have a brain tumor, did I have a seizure or was it a panic attack?
Bookmark and Share

Offline oikio

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Simple partial seizure or panic attack?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 06:00:29 AM »
Anyone?  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 06:02:52 AM »
If you've been to "a bunch of doctors" and they're given you the all clear then your likely having a panic attack.
Bookmark and Share

Offline oikio

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 07:58:21 AM »
I went to the doctors before this started happening. Do you think it's possible that epilepsy or a brain tumor developed in a span of a couple of months?
Also can a panic attack also be related with the weird smell?
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 08:27:56 AM »
The brain is the most mysterious organ. In our family there are strokes and TIA's (mini strokes). They can affect any sense, including smell, taste, ears, etc. Often nothing shows up on tests. Am not suggesting this for you, just sharing experience and some knowledge.

Keeping ourselves as calm and stress free as possibly is my approach. Maybe you want to see a therapist, get some mild anxiety meds. My stronghold to stay stress free is meditation and exercise. Wishing you the best, keep us posted.
Bookmark and Share

Offline oikio

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 08:45:08 AM »
Thanks for the reply. If they don't show up on tests,  how were you able to get them diagnosed?
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 08:53:07 AM »
Good question. What I know first hand from a family member, some similar experiences of my own, and my willingness to do all I can to help myself physically, mentally, emotionally.

It is my belief we have great powers to keep ourselves well. Just a belief, nothing scientific.
Bookmark and Share

Offline chasingdogma

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • How I Choose to Feel is How I Am
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 01:56:27 PM »
I've always been terrified of having a seizure or a tumor. For 3 months I've been having headaches almost daily. I've been to a bunch of doctors and they can't find anything. I twitch daily and also see flashes of color occasionally, not light. Thinking I had a brain tumor, I had an MRI and it was normal. But recently I've experienced this weird feeling, smelling something for about 2 seconds, feeling a huge wave of fear, suddenly sweating (it was hot in the room though) depersonalization and a feeling of the room spinning or me moving. I never had a panic attack or a seizure before, but I can't differentiate the two because the symptoms are so close to each other. I can remember though that when I experienced whatever it was, I was anxious because I was in public and afraid something will happen the whole day. So I don't know what I'm having. Please give some insight? Do I have a brain tumor, did I have a seizure or was it a panic attack?
You had a normal MRI thus it is not a tumor. What you are describing sounds like a classic panic attack. I've had a couple like that in my life.
Bookmark and Share

Offline oikio

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 10:32:23 PM »
You had a normal MRI thus it is not a tumor. What you are describing sounds like a classic panic attack. I've had a couple like that in my life.

So panic attacks also can involve smell? I've heard that smelling something not there is involved with having a seizure. How were your panic attacks like? How long did they last?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: