Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Newbie with Health Anxiety and Major Panic  (Read 131 times)

Offline nevertoolate

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Newbie with Health Anxiety and Major Panic
« on: January 20, 2014, 09:28:24 PM »
Hi all!

I am a 30something woman who recently has experienced a string of panic attacks. They started as my mil was dying and some other stressful things were going on in my life, and have continued for about 10 weeks now. My attacks have included severe headaches, pins and needles, arm weakness, back pain/cramping, heart palpitations, chest tightness, rashes and more. What fun!

I ended up in the hospital with a headache and a drooping right eye. I was convinced I was having a stroke. I was scanned and cleared by the ER and my own PCP. She gave me prozac and that is a whole other story! I have had feelings of imminent death and worry that I'm going to wake up paralyzed.

I feel so sideswiped to be hit with this in my mid-thirties. I have dealt with milder worry/anxiety and PPD in the past- but nothing this intense and horrifying.

I am thankful to have found this community! I've already read some posts and links to articles about health anxiety and panic disorder.

I look forward to delving in further...
Thanks all!

Jen(nevertoolate)
Bookmark and Share

Online crikee57

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 68
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Newbie with Health Anxiety and Major Panic
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 03:48:41 AM »
Hi Jen,

Welcome to the forum.  It is great to have you as a member.  This is a wonderful place to get advice and support from people going through similar situations.  The members here are very helpful. It is nice to know we are not alone.

My anxiety did not reach the level of a disorder until my 30's as well.  Sometimes being strong for so long kind of hits us all at once is how I see it.  I have experienced the severe panic attacks as well and I get the scariest but real symptoms along with them.  It can be frustrating, confusing, and scary to face the panic attacks but the best thing I have found is to face them head on and still push through and live your life.  Accept that what you are feeling is only panic and anxiety and push forward anyway.  Accepting it and facing your fears pulls all the strength out of the panic and anxiety.

Feel free to explore the forum.  There are lots of useful topics to read.  Feel free to post and ask questions.  If you have specific concerns or questions start a topic in the appropriate section to get the best feedback. There is also a chat room for members 18 years and older that you can access once you have made three meaningful posts in the forum. 

Again welcome to our community.
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Offline beauh18

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Newbie with Health Anxiety and Major Panic
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 01:51:02 PM »
I know how you feel. I Get really light headed, this spot on my back feels fuzzy numb like when your arm falls asleep, my chest gets i cant get full breaths and my legs get really week like there about to fall out from under me. The best thing to do is remember all those symptoms are easily explained by panic attacks and anxiety and they only last up to an hour or so.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: