Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Ughhhhhhh :(  (Read 229 times)

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
Ughhhhhhh :(
« on: January 20, 2014, 01:58:57 PM »
After two weeks of being almost completely anxiety free, it's back with a vengeance. This time, I'm obsessing over the results from blood tests that I got almost two months ago! I need someone to talk some sense into me.

The test in particular is Lipase. (This wasn't done specifically to look at lipase, it was more of a general overview thing.) The results were:

Week 1: 30 (23-300)
Week 2: 15 L (16-63)

So, the second week, my lipase was low. Barely low, but low - and it seems like my average is around the lower end of the spectrum. Of course, me being me, I consulted Dr. Google against my better judgement just to see what could cause your lipase to be too low. What I came across was cystic fibrosis, an incurable, awful disease.

I looked up the symptoms and other info on cystic fibrosis. I don't have a cough or mucus, no wheezing, no breathlessness, no delayed ability to exercise, no frequent lung infections - and I didn't as a kid either as far as I remember (I think I've had bronchitis ONCE). I had a few sinus infections as a kid, but I don't think to the point of being super frequent. I get stuffy a lot, but so does my fiance so I think it's the apartment and allergies. As far as my digestive system goes, I don't have greasy, fatty, foul-smelling, bulky, or pale stools, nor do I have bad digestive issues like severe constipation and super hard stool or diarrhea for that matter, or poor weight gain (no problems with gaining weight at all lol). I've also never had pancreatitis nor are my fingers clubbed as far as I can tell. My skin does taste a bit salty, but doesn't most people's? I have no relatives that have been diagnosed with CF. Additionally, I'm turning 21 this year, and I've read that most children are diagnosed before the age of 2 if they have CF (because you have it from birth) and only a small percentage are diagnosed after age 18 or older. I also read about how the pancreas appears abnormal in most people with CF, ESPECIALLY by my age, but I had an U/S when I was in the ER and the report said that my pancreas appeared normal, so...

So you might be wondering: then why are you worried? All of the little things add up in my brain, I guess. A little low. My sinuses act up a little bit. And so on. Also, my hemoglobin tends to be elevated (also very slightly), which can be an indication of not having enough oxygen reaching the blood from poor lung function, which kind of raised a flag in my mind (but wouldn't I have some breathing issues if that were the case...?) And also I've had liver worries with mildly elevated enzymes (very mild), and CF can sometimes cause liver problems (but my doctors have told me multiple times that my liver is fine, not enlarged or abnormal because nothing was mentioned in the U/S, and nothing to worry about... so...)

I guess it also serves to mention that the reference rage at the place that I got my tests from is a bit different from what I've read online for what's "normal" at Mayo Clinic, NIH, etc. I know reference rages change from lab to lab based on local population and all of that and that you can be a bit above or below and still be normal... but anyways, online, the reference ranges look more like 10-160 and 0-160 for normal. Since mine were 15 and 30, they'd both be normal if I was going by those ranges. (Same with the hemoglobin - most count high as 15 and mine were all below 15.)

Please tell me I'm stupid and worrying about nothing. I know I've pretty much spelled it out for myself, but any extra encouragement is appreciated. Just have to get out of this little relapse.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
Re: Ughhhhhhh :(
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 02:28:46 PM »
Like the rest of us, your mind and worry are getting the best of you. I would try to relax and remember
if anything was wrong, the doctor would have told you.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline stephtronic

Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 03:15:38 PM »
That's true. I'm trying to wind down. I know this is the HA, and I know nothing will stop until I stop it.

Unfortunately the lab test where the lipase was low was never discussed with any doctor. I had it done extra to check on something else. I wasn't worried about it at the time because it was only 1 under the lower limit and "normal" according to most reference ranges for the average person. But now, here I am. Worried suddenly two months later.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 05:57:26 PM »
Isolated lab results (particularly essentially normal ones like the lipase levels you describe) are relatively meaningless unless taken in the context for which they were ordered. As a child, was cystic fibrosis suggested as a possible diagnosis? Why are, and what makes, you concerned regarding this disease? More specific testing is appropriate if suspicion of CF is warranted.

So, this is the response that I got from a doctor on HealthTap about my lipase values. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that I'm interpreting this correctly. What I'm getting from it is that he's essentially saying:
  • My lipase values are pretty much normal.
  • Unless I have symptoms of CF, there is no reason for concern.

To answer the questions that he posed:
  • No, it was never a suggested diagnosis for me as a kid. I've never exhibited symptoms.
  • The only concern I have was the lipase (and that was only because I consulted Dr Google about low lipase in the first place), but if he says that's fine and the reference ranges online also agree that it's moreso normal, I guess I don't have any anymore!

So, that pretty much indicates that I'm free and clear, right? Sorry, just looking to be sure.  :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share

anything