Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Clomipramine / Anafranil - started Thurs night, questions  (Read 830 times)

Offline Rose128

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Clomipramine / Anafranil - started Thurs night, questions
« on: January 19, 2014, 10:24:14 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here. I just got started on Clomipramine (Anafranil) on Thursday night. I have also been taking Brintellix for 2 1/2 weeks, and I'm taking Klonopin, but I've been on that for years.

I went into a deep depression after detoxing/withdrawing from my old psych meds, which I did because I thought the Vibryd / Lexapro was causing my panic attacks (I was right, I haven't had a spontaneous or middle of the night one since I went off them).
Then I went on Zyprexa the week of Christmas because it worked well for me in the past but I'm diabetic now and it sent my sugar to dangerous levels. When I weened off that I became suicidal. Then I sunk into this horrible deep depression and tried to ***** on 12/28.
I was just waiting for the Brintellix to work but I told my Dr I couldn't handle the anxiety, even with the Klonopin I didn't want to go to the corner store.
He went through my file and was surprised I'd never been on the Anafranil, he thought I had tried it before I came to him because I'd been on so many medicines and my primary problems are panic, agoraphobia, and obsessive thoughts.

I took my first 25mg tablet Thursday night. Woke up Friday morning much calmer. I am on 25mg 3x a day.
Today I had more anxiety though so I was stupid and read the leaflet and it says an initial increase of anxiety may occur that goes away.
Did anyone ever experience that? My mom thinks that would have happened in the beginning if it was going to happen at all, not 9 doses in.

I'd be grateful for any insight on that and any other experiences anyone has had with this medicine (please no horror stories, I'll get scared and stop taking it).

Sorry this was long but I needed to give background information.

For reference, these are the medications I've tried in the past:
Zyprexa 5mg AM , 10mg PM   
   Vibryd 40 mg   

Lexapro 20mg / 2x day   
   Vimpat 50 mg AM / 100 mg PM   
   Horizant ER 600mg   

Paxil looks like up to 40mg/day   
   Buspar 10mg 3 or 4x/day   
   Zoloft started at 50, up to 150mg/day   
   Seroquel XR dose unknown, was given samples at partial hospital program. Took 4-5 days.   
   Prozac 15mg 20 mg (was on as a child, then tried again around age 18)   
   Lamictal XR started 25 mg went up to 100mg   
   Latuda 40-80 mg   
   Abilify 2mg was on 2 months   
   Pristiq 50 mg less than a month   
   Oleptro ER 150 mg   
   Diazapam 10mg for mom going to Florida (didn't work)   
   Hydroxyzine HCL 25mg when I was too young for Klonopin or similar   
   Zypreza 2.5mg (age 18)   
   Cymbalta (dose unknown, trial)

I'm 26 but went on Prozac at 11 for school phobia/anxiety. The panic attacks didn't start til after the SSRIs and I made the connection in my head a few months ago after some research.

Thanks!
Bookmark and Share
Diagnosed With: Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia, GAD, PTSD, Depression
Currently Taking: Brintellix 20mg (5 weeks as of 2/5), Anafranil 25mg 3x/day, (3 weeks as of 2/5), Klonopin 1mg 4x/day (like 8 years now)

Online insights

• Rec's: 94
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Clomipramine / Anafranil - started Thurs night, questions
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 02:10:56 AM »
He went through my file and was surprised I'd never been on the Anafranil, he thought I had tried it before I came to him because I'd been on so many medicines and my primary problems are panic, agoraphobia, and obsessive thoughts.

LOL! You've been on every nearly every SSRI, SNRI, anti psychotic and antileptic med there is and no one thought to try the best antidepressant for OCD (or Luvox (fluvoxamine)) the best SSRI for it either). Some of the doses they've had you on are also 'interesting.' I think your biggest problem may be the doctors that have been treating you!

I took my first 25mg tablet Thursday night. Woke up Friday morning much calmer. I am on 25mg 3x a day.
Today I had more anxiety though so I was stupid and read the leaflet and it says an initial increase of anxiety may occur that goes away.
Did anyone ever experience that? My mom thinks that would have happened in the beginning if it was going to happen at all, not 9 doses in.

It can take anywhere from an hour to several weeks for increased anxiety to appear when starting an antidepressant and some don't experience it at all. 75mg/day is the usual start dose for depression, but can be too high for those with anxiety. Starting on 25-50mg/day and increasing the dose by another 25mg every 7-10 days would have been kinder. I once when from 0 to 150mg of imipramine in two weeks and while it was at my insistence and I survived, it is not an experience I would repeat.

I'm not clear on what you are taking now. Are you still on Brintellix (vortioxetine)?

Also what was your experience with Oleptro ER (trazodone)? Were you taking this as an antidepressant, or to help you sleep?

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Rose128

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 12:24:07 PM »
I am currently on Brintellix, Anafranil and Klonopin.

I don't remember what the Oleptro was for, I was 18ish and didn't ask a lot of questions.
Bookmark and Share
Currently Taking: Brintellix 20mg (5 weeks as of 2/5), Anafranil 25mg 3x/day, (3 weeks as of 2/5), Klonopin 1mg 4x/day (like 8 years now)

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 04:09:09 PM »
I am currently on Brintellix, Anafranil and Klonopin.

Do you have a taper schedule for the Brintellix?

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Rose128

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 08:12:43 PM »
No, I'm not being taken off it.
He is keeping me on both medications.

I actually saw him today and he said that initial anxiety is uncommon with this medicine and especially since I have the Klonopin that I take daily it shouldn't bother me at all, which made me feel much better.

I got scared when I read that - the last thing I need is more anxiety!
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 09:58:07 PM »
No, I'm not being taken off it.
He is keeping me on both medications.

Clomipramine has the highest affinity for serotonin transporters (0.14 Ki) of all the tricyclics, indeed most SSRIs, and Brintellix is also a powerful binder to serotonin transporters (1.6 Ki), so I don't think taking both is a good idea, either from a safety or efficacy angle.

You've had no luck with SSRIs so I don't see the point of merely replacing them with two strong serotonin reuptake inhibitors. I suggest you get a second opinion. At the very least ask your pharmacist about this.

Ian

Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 11:40:56 PM »

I went into a deep depression after detoxing/withdrawing from my old psych meds, which I did because I thought the Vibryd / Lexapro was causing my panic attacks (I was right, I haven't had a spontaneous or middle of the night one since I went off them).
Then I went on Zyprexa the week of Christmas because it worked well for me in the past but I'm diabetic now and it sent my sugar to dangerous levels. When I weened off that I became suicidal. Then I sunk into this horrible deep depression and tried to 0473 on 12/28.

12/28 was hardly a month ago.  I hope you're keeping in contact with your mother, regularly, during this emotional unstable time.   Likewise know there is a chat room on this forum, where many users have used to talk with someone, when getting really down about their emotions.   Although no one on this forum can change the way your body is currently feeling, at this moment, we can give you words to not go that route, and to know your life is more than worth the effort to go on living.   At 26, you have so much ahead of you.   

or reference, these are the medications I've tried in the past:
Zyprexa 5mg AM , 10mg PM   
   Vibryd 40 mg   

Lexapro 20mg / 2x day   
   Vimpat 50 mg AM / 100 mg PM   
   Horizant ER 600mg   

Paxil looks like up to 40mg/day   
   Buspar 10mg 3 or 4x/day   
   Zoloft started at 50, up to 150mg/day   
   Seroquel XR dose unknown, was given samples at partial hospital program. Took 4-5 days.   
   Prozac 15mg 20 mg (was on as a child, then tried again around age 18)   
   Lamictal XR started 25 mg went up to 100mg   
   Latuda 40-80 mg   
   Abilify 2mg was on 2 months   
   Pristiq 50 mg less than a month   
   Oleptro ER 150 mg   
   Diazapam 10mg for mom going to Florida (didn't work)   
   Hydroxyzine HCL 25mg when I was too young for Klonopin or similar   
   Zypreza 2.5mg (age 18)   
   Cymbalta (dose unknown, trial)

As you are well aware, this is a very long list of antidepressants.  Your intro only discussed a few of them, so I take the others have been used by you, since you were 11.   I know people who have been on an antidepressant such as Zoloft (Setraline) or Prozac (as you had started) since they were eleven too, however they've continued on the medication for the next ten to fifteen years, without problems.

You should explore why are you so resistant to be on antidepressants, given your extreme mood swings.  They are really meant to be of help to you.
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline Rose128

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 12:07:59 AM »
Thank you for your concern for my safety, I have lots of support and a safety plan developed with my therapist in play.

I was on ADs for 15 years. I'm against them mainly because they didn't work and since I went off them I've stopped having spontaneous or middle of the night panic attacks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rose128

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 12:10:33 AM »
Ian,
My doctor suggested that down the road we get rid of the Brintellix but to leave both for now. He's the only doctor in my 15 years of treatment who's helped me, and he's nationally acclaimed. I trust him and his decision.  But thank you got the input.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: