Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Still with the swallowing  (Read 581 times)

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Still with the swallowing
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 07:50:04 PM »
It just feels like something more - I can't explain it - something happens and I know before it happens that it's going to.

Cancer is what I'm afraid of. I get that if there was a lump in my throat then I'd have trouble with food etc but what if there is something on the tongue or something on the muscle stopping it from working. Or even something in my sinuses.

If it just stopped I would be fine - my ha has been dormant for nearly 2 years until this little flare up.

But you are right this anxiety us stuff is hell

That's exactly how it feels to have swallowing problems due to anxiety. There have been numerous studies done, trying to figure out why this happens. All that is known is that when people have anxiety that they say makes it hard or impossible to swallow, there are absolutely no physical changes associated with it. Its entirely generated by anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline i960

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 08:49:59 PM »
Sunlover's post is dead on.

It's incredibly hard to accept for first time/less experience anxiety sufferers - but anxiety is not purely just a fearful feeling in the brain. It's the connection between the brain and *physical* sympathetic nervous system as a whole. This is why physical symptoms are present - because the SNS is involved.

Curing it is about retraining the brain to stop firing off the SNS over every little thing. The only way to start healing is to actively ACCEPT anxiety is the cause. When you say you cannot accept that this is anxiety it's because you do not believe anxiety is capable of manifesting itself physically in these type of ways when it most definitely is (or more accurately the SNS is). Accept that this is anxiety and a simple annoyance at most and the problem will go away. Refusal to accept will keep you banging a head against the wall and chasing phantom health issues. Yep, I know it sucks - but it's the only way.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 27
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 06:39:36 AM »
I just read i960's post which let me to recall an episode of "brain games" I watched online last week.  It was actual PROOF that the brain could manifest PHYSICAL symptoms where none exist.   He had someone sit down at a table and put their left hand on the table, then he taped down a rubber right hand on the table...  he had them put their real right hand behind a cloth next to the rubber hand... he then took a mallet and slammed it down on the rubber hand and people actually jumped, one guy said, "I actually FELT that!"  Of course he couldn't feel it, but his "brain" was focused on his right hand - although his right hand wasn't even touched he "felt" it.  So what anxiety sufferers brains do is focus on a certain body part or symptom and then it is actually felt.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything