Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Still with the swallowing  (Read 424 times)

Offline hayter

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Still with the swallowing
« on: January 19, 2014, 09:24:02 AM »
Iv already posted once about this but I'm having a real bad day today and I'm starting to loose my mind a bit.

My doctor has diagnosed me with globus, but I can't accept it. The main reason I can't accept this diagnosis is because it doesn't match my symptoms. From what I understand globus is the feeling of a lump in the throat which I don't have.

My issue is initiating and completing a swallow. Everything locks up halfway through swallowing ( just before gulping)and I can't get anything to go down. The best way I can describe this is if you try to swallow a couple times in a row you physically can't swallow. I get that just randomly through out the day.

I don't have trouble with food or liquid and food goes down my throat fine it's just my saliva that's the issue. But this is driving me mad and I'm sure it's something terrible.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
    • Poke This Member
Re: Still with the swallowing
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 10:01:56 AM »
I don't think it is globus, I think it's just anxiety, globus like you said refers to a feeling of a  lump in the throat  - the reason I say it's pure anxiety is that because any time I would eat out (not so much anymore but it does still happen, happened about 2 weeks ago as a matter of fact!) but I'd be nervous when I'd eat out that it was going to happen and I'd go to swallow coffee or liquid and it would do exactly what you would say, I couldn't get my throat muscles to work!  (never happened with food and most times with coffee)  Sometimes I'd actually hit my hand on the table a few times, panic and finally be able to swallow!  I'd get myself so upset after that I'd lose my appetite and couldn't eat anymore afraid it would happen again and of course it would happen throughout the meal until I'd finally just stop eating.  I'd have to physically take deep breaths and relax and in my mind say, "OK relax, swallow, it's ok" - the first time it happened I was about 10 years old.  I am now 55.  As you can see, it is absolutely nothing.  Yours is happening with saliva because you are thinking about it - I'd think about it when eating out which is why it only happens then, and never at HOME.   It's hard to tell you, "Don't think about it"  That can't be done, but eventually you will be so occupied in something else and think, "Hey!  It didn't happen at all!"  That will prove to you it's nothing physical and then you'll get rid of it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hayter

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 11:04:01 AM »
It doesn't feel like anxiety though! It feels different, granted its on my mind a lot but it doesn't alwAys happen when I'm thinking about!

If it's not anxiety then I have no idea what else it could be! I have been to my doctors quite a few times and I'm now back on meds. I do also have an ent appointment but it's 2 months away. It's to the point where I can't go back to the doctors as there isn't anything else she can say about it!

I'm really worried it something terrible like the bad C word! It's really effecting me
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 11:27:17 AM »
you don't need to FEEL anxious to have anxiety symptoms.   And there is no cancer that presents with that symptom.  (I have researched ALL kinds of cancers so much I feel I can open my own medical practice). - you will say, "Oh it says difficulty swallowing" is a cancer symptom, but that's NOT what it means, it means you swallow, food gets stuck in the throat or chest due to constriction in the esophagus, and even THAT symptom is usually caused from bad GERD.
The swallowing of coffee in a restaurant didn't happen thinking about it either (but then once it happened once it got out of control)
I can feel as calm as anything, go take a walk and the street starts dipping, etc (anxiety) although I feel fine.  I know it's like a living hell obsessing about health things, I wish there was an answer for us.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hayter

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 12:04:17 PM »
It just feels like something more - I can't explain it - something happens and I know before it happens that it's going to.

Cancer is what I'm afraid of. I get that if there was a lump in my throat then I'd have trouble with food etc but what if there is something on the tongue or something on the muscle stopping it from working. Or even something in my sinuses.

If it just stopped I would be fine - my ha has been dormant for nearly 2 years until this little flare up.

But you are right this anxiety us stuff is hell

Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 12:37:17 PM »
You could go to an ENT physician, as swallowing issues are right up their alley.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline hayter

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 12:46:03 PM »
I have an appointment to see a ent in 2 months - I'm from the uk so the waiting list is pretty long!

2 months is just such a long time to wait in fear. Plus iv been told he's going to want to put a camera up my nose and down my throat which scares the crap out of me too
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 02:50:47 PM »
I have that done to me already a few times over the years and it is a piece of cake.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline hayter

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 04:44:03 PM »
That's good to hear!

Something just isn't right with my neck or mouth! Something is different and it's what causing my trouble but i can't put my finger on it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 04:50:49 PM »
It is most likely anxiety, maybe smth less serious, not cancer for sure.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 07:50:04 PM »
It just feels like something more - I can't explain it - something happens and I know before it happens that it's going to.

Cancer is what I'm afraid of. I get that if there was a lump in my throat then I'd have trouble with food etc but what if there is something on the tongue or something on the muscle stopping it from working. Or even something in my sinuses.

If it just stopped I would be fine - my ha has been dormant for nearly 2 years until this little flare up.

But you are right this anxiety us stuff is hell

That's exactly how it feels to have swallowing problems due to anxiety. There have been numerous studies done, trying to figure out why this happens. All that is known is that when people have anxiety that they say makes it hard or impossible to swallow, there are absolutely no physical changes associated with it. Its entirely generated by anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline i960

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 08:49:59 PM »
Sunlover's post is dead on.

It's incredibly hard to accept for first time/less experience anxiety sufferers - but anxiety is not purely just a fearful feeling in the brain. It's the connection between the brain and *physical* sympathetic nervous system as a whole. This is why physical symptoms are present - because the SNS is involved.

Curing it is about retraining the brain to stop firing off the SNS over every little thing. The only way to start healing is to actively ACCEPT anxiety is the cause. When you say you cannot accept that this is anxiety it's because you do not believe anxiety is capable of manifesting itself physically in these type of ways when it most definitely is (or more accurately the SNS is). Accept that this is anxiety and a simple annoyance at most and the problem will go away. Refusal to accept will keep you banging a head against the wall and chasing phantom health issues. Yep, I know it sucks - but it's the only way.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 06:39:36 AM »
I just read i960's post which let me to recall an episode of "brain games" I watched online last week.  It was actual PROOF that the brain could manifest PHYSICAL symptoms where none exist.   He had someone sit down at a table and put their left hand on the table, then he taped down a rubber right hand on the table...  he had them put their real right hand behind a cloth next to the rubber hand... he then took a mallet and slammed it down on the rubber hand and people actually jumped, one guy said, "I actually FELT that!"  Of course he couldn't feel it, but his "brain" was focused on his right hand - although his right hand wasn't even touched he "felt" it.  So what anxiety sufferers brains do is focus on a certain body part or symptom and then it is actually felt.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: