Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Colon cancer fear back with a vengeance.  (Read 518 times)

Offline daviezmom

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Colon cancer fear back with a vengeance.
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 04:36:49 PM »
IHADCANCER,

So you had never had a colonoscopy?  Did your doctor happen to tell you how long it takes for colon cancer to develop and grow? I am having a colon cancer fear right now.  I'm 33, just had a colonoscopy in 2010, which they removed a polyp (non cancer) and told me to come back for another one in 5 years, which would be next year.  I'm scared that if I wait that long, my "cancer" may progress and I'll be inoperable.  My dad died from colon cancer, although he'd never had a colonoscopy, and he was 91 years old.  So my fear stems from watching him die. 
I don't want to run to the doctor and beg to have the colonoscopy moved up a year because I just KNOW I have something.  I don't want them to think I'm crazy :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 04:46:35 PM »
Your dad died from colon cancer but he was 91 you are 33...live your life and stop worrying....when you get older 55+ go more frequently to check it up and that's it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline daviezmom

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 06:37:11 PM »
I'm having issues right now which is why I'm worrying.  If I weren't having any issues I wouldn't be worrying about it.  I'd be worrying about something else  :P
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 06:41:10 PM »
You can either accept anxiety and go on with your life because you are fine, or go demand colonoscopy. First option is better in the long run.
Bookmark and Share

Offline daviezmom

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 10:20:38 PM »
Well I'll never "accept" my anxiety, because I don't want it, and I know that, regardless of how hard it may be, it is something that can be overcome.  However, I know that it's not what's causing my issues right now.  So, if they don't go away, I'll make an appointment, because it's better to be safe than sorry.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2014, 10:36:06 PM »
You have every right to be concerned. Your dad died from colon cancer and you had rectal bleeding. My grandma a
Had colon cancer and i had rectal bleeding. If i would have listened to all this advice and the advice of my doc, i would have colon cancer at age 23. You know your body better than anyone. If you had a polyp removed it is also more of a reason to be worried. There are guidelines as to when colonoscopys should be given as far as intervals. I had a 4 cm polyp removed (non cancer). Combined with my age, size of polyp, and family history, i go back this year. Mine was last year. I would trust your doctor as far as guidelines but if you are highly concerned, a year sooner will not hurt at all.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 08:14:56 AM »
No, I had never had a colonoscopy and CRC does not run in my family.  (CRC is Colo Rectal Cancer.  Colon cancer and Rectal cancer are treated differently. Anal cancer (Farrah Fawcett) is caused by the HPV virus and not often found in women.  TOTALLY different disease.  I had colon cancer)

I've never had another polyp.  My only polyp was the one 2 cm that became cancerous.  I'm now on the 'every 3 year' plan but was every year for a while, jumped to 2, now go to three and eventually to 5 years.  That's only because I HAVE had colon cancer.  MOST polyps (unless there is a genetic FAP  in the family) grow slowly and can take 5 to 10 years to become cancerous.  Since your Dad was 91 and his cancer had spread, he probably had colon cancer in his 60's or 70's and just didn't know.  Anyone with a family member with colon cancer should be tested 10 years earlier than the approximate date of the parent/ grandparents dx. 

I think you're VERY smart to be vigilant. By being tested every 5 years, if you were to develop a polyp that MIGHT become cancer, they'll remove it immediately and you'll probably never, ever have colon cancer. 

Again, I feel so sure that all you have is a tiny tear that develops after an extra large or firm stool and doc will advise you to soften your stool and use something like Desitin when needed. 

Bookmark and Share

Tags: