Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Colon cancer fear back with a vengeance.  (Read 1296 times)

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 28
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
    • Poke This Member
Re: Colon cancer fear back with a vengeance.
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 10:43:31 AM »
There is zero family history of colon cancer. And yes i have taken I mirror and flash light and looked while sitting on the toilet (blushing now) and there are  2 purple swollen pads of tissue around my anal opening but thy go back into my anus when I am not sitting on the toilet. I can also see what looks like an internal hem when I strain but it also retracts up. There is no visible hem what so ever when I look when not sitting on the toilet  they only appear while sitting on the toilet. Maybe internal hems?

I think internal ones tend to bleed more than external ones. (I think mine thrombose SO bad that is why I can see them most of the time if I look)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 19
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 11:17:55 AM »
Lindsay,  I had zero symptoms until after eating some really greasy fries at a mom and pop bbq place.  I had diarrhea so took Imodium and that caused a blockage at the 2 cm tumor up above my belly button.  I had no idea what was going on .... for a month.  That greasy food saved my life! 

I had NEVER been sick in my life. A cold every 8 or 9 years maybe.  No PMS. No headaches. Nothing.

Over the next month, I felt bloated, had bowel sounds you could hear 10 feet away, if I didn't eat for a few days, it would feel better but then I'd eat and it would start all over. At the end of the month, I was totally unable to pass gas or anything. I started to vomit up food that I'd eaten two days earlier, undigested.  My husband got me an emergency gastro visit on New Year's Eve 2008.  The doctor knew what it was right away but sent me for a colonoscopy on Jan. 2nd. I had 18 inches of my colon and 17 lymph nodes removed on Jan. 7, 2009 (5 years ago) and 5 out of 17 lymph nodes had microscopic cancer cells.  I did 6 months of chemo (never threw up, never lost my hair).  My stats were 80% chance of being alive at 3 years and 68 % chance of being alive at 5 years.

I was dx'd Stage IIIB and am now Stage IVa because of the single small met that appeared much later.  That means my Stage IV is NOT the same as someone who is very ill at diagnosis or who has a recurrence in the first year or so. 

All clear for 3 years but in Feb. 2012 they saw a tiny spot (1.5 cm so smaller than a dime) on my liver.  I had a PET/ CT scan and only the very center lit up.  In April 2012 they removed 80% of my liver. Painful recovery.... but my liver grew back.  I did have 27 staples and a little collection pump type drain on my side for a few weeks. Doctor had gone out of state to do a special surgery so my appt. was put off. The pump just drained any fluid build up around where the liver was healing.  Looked like apple juice.

I've been having PET/ CT scans and blood work at first every 3 months and am now at 6 months. Everything from the top of my head to mid thighs has been perfect so far with good blood work.  My NEW stats are: 80% 3-year survival rate and a 71% 5-year survival rate after HR (liver resection)  and well-established data showing 10- and 20-year survivors after HR of solitary and multiple metastases, even without adjuvant chemotherapy.   Those stats don't mean 'cancer free', but alive at 3 and 5 years.  April will be 2 years since my liver resection.

I never had to have a 'bag'. The original surgery was a lap surgery with only a tiny cut and 42 hours in the hospital from surgery to check-out.  For the liver resection, I was there 5 days but it took over a month for me to be able to dress myself or wash my own hair (lifting arms over head). They used a rib spreader to get to my organs and check out all my innards.

So, after the liver resection I became a horrible hypochondriac. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 12:11:27 PM »
Bless your heart. You sound like an amazing women. I am so glad you have caught this battle brave and have done well. Thank you for posting. I hope I hear good news on Wednesday. Like I had my only cancer symptom is minor bleeding. I am trying to think positive but its very hard. Do you mind if I ask
Your age? Do you fall in the "normal age" catagory?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 01:19:23 PM »
I had occasional bleeding. Nothing major. I assumed hemorrhoids. I told my doctor. She said hemorrhoids. Until i started to get it every day. This is a few years later. It was streaked on there. Bright red just like hemorrhoids. But it wasnt. My polyp was close to the exit so the bleeding was obviously fresh. Blood on the stool is almost always benign. But it is not a symptom of anxiety. No matter the age, the 100% sure it is hemorrhoids argument, i always always always encourage anyone to mention it to the doctor. Do i think you have cancer? No not at all. Most polyps are bening too. But if it were to be a polyp at least you can catch it before it is cancer.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 19
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 03:10:09 PM »
I was 58 when diagnosed and too much of a lady to have a colonoscopy, so I got colon cancer instead.

I turned 63 Dec. 29th and the photo I use here is 2 years old.  You can meet me on ***** at Diane Weldy Tavegia

Bookmark and Share

Offline daviezmom

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 04:36:49 PM »
IHADCANCER,

So you had never had a colonoscopy?  Did your doctor happen to tell you how long it takes for colon cancer to develop and grow? I am having a colon cancer fear right now.  I'm 33, just had a colonoscopy in 2010, which they removed a polyp (non cancer) and told me to come back for another one in 5 years, which would be next year.  I'm scared that if I wait that long, my "cancer" may progress and I'll be inoperable.  My dad died from colon cancer, although he'd never had a colonoscopy, and he was 91 years old.  So my fear stems from watching him die. 
I don't want to run to the doctor and beg to have the colonoscopy moved up a year because I just KNOW I have something.  I don't want them to think I'm crazy :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 04:46:35 PM »
Your dad died from colon cancer but he was 91 you are 33...live your life and stop worrying....when you get older 55+ go more frequently to check it up and that's it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline daviezmom

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 06:37:11 PM »
I'm having issues right now which is why I'm worrying.  If I weren't having any issues I wouldn't be worrying about it.  I'd be worrying about something else  :P
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 06:41:10 PM »
You can either accept anxiety and go on with your life because you are fine, or go demand colonoscopy. First option is better in the long run.
Bookmark and Share

Offline daviezmom

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 10:20:38 PM »
Well I'll never "accept" my anxiety, because I don't want it, and I know that, regardless of how hard it may be, it is something that can be overcome.  However, I know that it's not what's causing my issues right now.  So, if they don't go away, I'll make an appointment, because it's better to be safe than sorry.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: