Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Colon cancer fear back with a vengeance.  (Read 661 times)

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
Colon cancer fear back with a vengeance.
« on: January 18, 2014, 08:45:50 PM »
Oh course I have been doing fine with no symptoms of CC for about a month or two. I posted about a month ago about my serious life consuming fear of colon cancer after noticing bright red blood streaks on my stools for one year now. It's usually on hard stool and the last one to pass ( walnut sized lumpy stool) So I have been taking fiber supplements, drinking more water, being more active and my still has been picture perfect, until tonight. I haven't gone in 2 days so tonight I went and had minor constipation with hard stool. Of course I do my usual inspection and there it was a small very very thin bright bright red pin head sized streak on the outside of the last stool that passed. I'm beside myself. There is no there explanation other than my biggest fear.

Some background -
26 year old female
4 pregnancies and 4 vaginal deliveries
No other symptoms other than heartburn once a month
Suffers from horrible HA and have since childhood

I have an appt with a GI DR Wednesday and I am scare beyond words. I have 4 beautiful children and I'm married to my high school sweetheart. I am hoping and praying its internal hemorrhoids. Has anyone had these symptoms? If this was cancer would it had gotten much worse in 1 year?  Also this also happens frequently to
My 23 month old son. His Dr says its fissures. He actually passed a hard stool with blood steaks yesterday but has no viable fissures.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Colon cancer fear back with a vengeance.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 09:05:04 PM »
It sounds like hemorrhoids to me considering the strain. if you haven't been in two days and had to strain and it was only on the last stool, i am pretty confident in saying it is a hemorrhoid. my son is two and also has occasional blood when he strains. if he doesn't strain i don't notice it. could also be a polyp. I had one removed after six months of blood on my stools. I am 23. Not cancerous.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 09:06:58 PM »
This really doesn't sound like CC. It's no coincidence that the red streak reappeared when you started having hard, lumpy stools again - they're the cause! Hard stools can cause both fissures and hemorrhoids. (TMI, lol) When I pass very hard stools, the same things happen to me - I always have some bleeding. Other times, when my stools are healthy, no problems - much like yours! And yes, it would have progressed in that time.

Keep your appointment with your GI, of course, because they will definitely be able to give you peace of mind, but do not waist the days leading up to the appointment filled with worry, because this is a normal thing, and it's not CC.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline daviezmom

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 10:39:48 PM »
It most certainly would've progressed.  You wouldn't have went that long with everything being great and then it started back up again if it were cancer.  My dad passed away from colon cancer and it was pretty bad.   But, with that being said, I have colon cancer fears myself, so I understand your concern.  What you're describing does sound like internal hemorrhoids, which I've had, and I had blood in the stool with them.  My husband's had blood, and he had internal hemorrhoids, and also he had a polyp that was causing the bleeding.  Have you ever had a colonoscopy?  You could request one for peace of mind.  I had one right after my dad died, because I was so freaked out about getting cancer.  I had a polyp, and I have to go back next year for another colonoscopy as a follow up.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 06:03:38 AM »
Thanks for all the replys. My fears are just so bad. No I have never had a colonoscopy. I haven't even been to a GI doctor before. I think my fear is so huge because I have the one symptom of colon cancer that is the most alarming. All of the other symptoms of colon chance are so non specific and could be anything where bright red bleeding is a huge red flag. This has been consuming my life since I first started inspecting my stool last February. I have sat and sobbed thinking once I see my GI she will diagnosis me this stage 3 or 4 since I have waited so long to be seen. This bleeding has never changed in any way over the year. It's always with hard stool. Always a small thin streak on the last stool to pass, I have noticed trace amounts on the toilet paper maybe twice. There is no pain when passing stool for the most part. Sometimes I feel a swift sharp sting or burn. I can kind of calm my nerves because my symptoms have never progressed to heavy bleeding, no change in bowel
Habits, no stomach pains, back pain, I have actually gained weight ( 5"1 128 lbs) stools are not thin and actually usually on the wider side. It's just this once or twice a month blood streaked stool. Streaks are also tiny.  I'm terrified beyond explainable.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 06:10:41 AM »
Also Brick what was your bleeding symptoms like? Heavy, daily, streaks or solid red stool, was it on the paper or just on your stool? Did a colonoscopy detect it or something less invasive? I am
Hoping my GI can so an anoscopy of the rectum Wednesday.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 08:54:23 AM »
Actually, it sounds like a fissure or small tear in the anal area when you push thru the harder stool.  They can sting for a few seconds like a paper cut. 

I had Stage IIIB (now Stage IVa) colon cancer 5 years ago.  My fecal blood test was fine.  I'd had bleeding from hemorrhoids on and off since I was a teen.   

My husband has some packets of stuff like KY Jelly to help when he catheterizes himself.  If I feel like I have hard stool or pass tiny amounts of extra firm stool, I will smear some jelly on the anal area, not push at all for a few minutes (allowing that to sort of grease up the anal opening and then things seem much easier.

Your symptoms don't sound at all like colon cancer.  I've been researching and reading about CRC cancers now for all that time.  I'm really sure this is a tiny tear that the doctor might not even find when he does an exam since they close up quickly. Does it run in your family?

Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 10:10:52 AM »
Sounds like a hemorrhoid - This may sound disgusting, but take a mirror and LOOK, most likely you will see it there (unless it's an internal one - but even after going, those internal ones can drop and you can see it.)  Sometimes I have to wear a panty liner after going because mine will bleed a little for hours afterwards!  And not to get TOO gross, but they can "explode" and even turn the toilet water red! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 10:32:10 AM »
There is zero family history of colon cancer. And yes i have taken I mirror and flash light and looked while sitting on the toilet (blushing now) and there are  2 purple swollen pads of tissue around my anal opening but thy go back into my anus when I am not sitting on the toilet. I can also see what looks like an internal hem when I strain but it also retracts up. There is no visible hem what so ever when I look when not sitting on the toilet  they only appear while sitting on the toilet. Maybe internal hems?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 10:36:22 AM »
IHADCANCER - I am so sorry for what you have been going through. What were your symptoms? I am only 26 years old. And no family history at all. I am still terrified. I did have a comfortable normal BM this morning with no blood what so ever. Trust me I had my handy flash light :) I am
Seriously a complete crazy women.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 10:43:31 AM »
There is zero family history of colon cancer. And yes i have taken I mirror and flash light and looked while sitting on the toilet (blushing now) and there are  2 purple swollen pads of tissue around my anal opening but thy go back into my anus when I am not sitting on the toilet. I can also see what looks like an internal hem when I strain but it also retracts up. There is no visible hem what so ever when I look when not sitting on the toilet  they only appear while sitting on the toilet. Maybe internal hems?

I think internal ones tend to bleed more than external ones. (I think mine thrombose SO bad that is why I can see them most of the time if I look)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 11:17:55 AM »
Lindsay,  I had zero symptoms until after eating some really greasy fries at a mom and pop bbq place.  I had diarrhea so took Imodium and that caused a blockage at the 2 cm tumor up above my belly button.  I had no idea what was going on .... for a month.  That greasy food saved my life! 

I had NEVER been sick in my life. A cold every 8 or 9 years maybe.  No PMS. No headaches. Nothing.

Over the next month, I felt bloated, had bowel sounds you could hear 10 feet away, if I didn't eat for a few days, it would feel better but then I'd eat and it would start all over. At the end of the month, I was totally unable to pass gas or anything. I started to vomit up food that I'd eaten two days earlier, undigested.  My husband got me an emergency gastro visit on New Year's Eve 2008.  The doctor knew what it was right away but sent me for a colonoscopy on Jan. 2nd. I had 18 inches of my colon and 17 lymph nodes removed on Jan. 7, 2009 (5 years ago) and 5 out of 17 lymph nodes had microscopic cancer cells.  I did 6 months of chemo (never threw up, never lost my hair).  My stats were 80% chance of being alive at 3 years and 68 % chance of being alive at 5 years.

I was dx'd Stage IIIB and am now Stage IVa because of the single small met that appeared much later.  That means my Stage IV is NOT the same as someone who is very ill at diagnosis or who has a recurrence in the first year or so. 

All clear for 3 years but in Feb. 2012 they saw a tiny spot (1.5 cm so smaller than a dime) on my liver.  I had a PET/ CT scan and only the very center lit up.  In April 2012 they removed 80% of my liver. Painful recovery.... but my liver grew back.  I did have 27 staples and a little collection pump type drain on my side for a few weeks. Doctor had gone out of state to do a special surgery so my appt. was put off. The pump just drained any fluid build up around where the liver was healing.  Looked like apple juice.

I've been having PET/ CT scans and blood work at first every 3 months and am now at 6 months. Everything from the top of my head to mid thighs has been perfect so far with good blood work.  My NEW stats are: 80% 3-year survival rate and a 71% 5-year survival rate after HR (liver resection)  and well-established data showing 10- and 20-year survivors after HR of solitary and multiple metastases, even without adjuvant chemotherapy.   Those stats don't mean 'cancer free', but alive at 3 and 5 years.  April will be 2 years since my liver resection.

I never had to have a 'bag'. The original surgery was a lap surgery with only a tiny cut and 42 hours in the hospital from surgery to check-out.  For the liver resection, I was there 5 days but it took over a month for me to be able to dress myself or wash my own hair (lifting arms over head). They used a rib spreader to get to my organs and check out all my innards.

So, after the liver resection I became a horrible hypochondriac. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 12:11:27 PM »
Bless your heart. You sound like an amazing women. I am so glad you have caught this battle brave and have done well. Thank you for posting. I hope I hear good news on Wednesday. Like I had my only cancer symptom is minor bleeding. I am trying to think positive but its very hard. Do you mind if I ask
Your age? Do you fall in the "normal age" catagory?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 01:19:23 PM »
I had occasional bleeding. Nothing major. I assumed hemorrhoids. I told my doctor. She said hemorrhoids. Until i started to get it every day. This is a few years later. It was streaked on there. Bright red just like hemorrhoids. But it wasnt. My polyp was close to the exit so the bleeding was obviously fresh. Blood on the stool is almost always benign. But it is not a symptom of anxiety. No matter the age, the 100% sure it is hemorrhoids argument, i always always always encourage anyone to mention it to the doctor. Do i think you have cancer? No not at all. Most polyps are bening too. But if it were to be a polyp at least you can catch it before it is cancer.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 03:10:09 PM »
I was 58 when diagnosed and too much of a lady to have a colonoscopy, so I got colon cancer instead.

I turned 63 Dec. 29th and the photo I use here is 2 years old.  You can meet me on ***** at Diane Weldy Tavegia

Bookmark and Share

Tags: