Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Insomnia only worsening  (Read 477 times)

Offline Alvie22

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Insomnia only worsening
« on: January 18, 2014, 06:29:24 AM »
My insomnia has only been getting worse with each passing day. I am writing this at 6 am because I didn't get any sleep tonight. I just couldn't seem to fall asleep. This is strange since the nights before I was able to sleep for at least 6 hours. I don't feel very anxious about it, it just annoys me that I can't sleep. I can't even yawn anymore. I have some of the symptoms of Sporadic Fatal Insomnia slowly creeping up. Funny thing is, I don't get panic attacks or anxiety attacks. In fact, I feel more emotionless if anything. I'd be nice to get an opinion. I got an appointment at the doc for next thursday to see if i can get some examinations to found out once and for all if I have this disease. I know some of you went to get tests done as well and am wondering how it went for you?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Insomnia only worsening
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 06:38:31 AM »
Thing about not been able to fall asleep is that it can frustrate you. Some people try and force themselves to fall asleep. That will never work. Best just to stay in bed and lay there. Maybe a radio on. Low music. As a form of distraction. I think at night our minds can roam a bit more. A silent room is not always the best idea. Just relax with your eyes closed. No getting angry over not fallen asleep straight away. If tired enough, sleep will find you. Hope your tests go well for you.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline MarkBowden

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Insomnia only worsening
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 11:59:35 AM »
I agree with Cuchculan that a silent room s sometimes not the best options. If you have issues with sleeping and you have a quiet room often the loudest thing is your internal voice saying "I must get to sleep!", "look at the time!", "You are going to be so tired in the morning!"... and this really is not helpful.

A good idea is to find something that distracts you... but not stimulates you. For example the TV works for some but can stimulate the minds of others too much. I personally would not recommend the television, however, reading before bed can be good, but again, thrillers and horrors are probably not a great idea.

The old saying of counting sheep is not as lame as it sounds. If you are visualising the mundane and boring sheep and focusing all of your attention on this then you don't have space in your mind for thinking about any other issues.

There are a million and one techniques that you can try but my suggestion right now would be to find something that you can direct your mind towards that will quieten it and replace the noise of your inner voice.
Bookmark and Share
Anxiety can be the darkest of clouds but there is always brighter skies ahead.
http://www.helptobeatanxiety.com

Tags: