Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: My mother has the Shingles.  (Read 158 times)

Offline BlueCricket

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
My mother has the Shingles.
« on: January 17, 2014, 10:31:42 PM »
Oh man, I feel really bad for her because I know how painful and annoying the Shingles are. A few days ago she got a red bump right over her left eyebrow. She said it was very painful, and her eye was a bit red, too. The next day she went over to a Dr after making an appointment and he told her that it was an infected pimple  and about the red eye he said that it was just a tiny blood vessel that had ruptured but that it was fine since it would heal on it's own. He sent her home. Two days later [today] she called me over the phone and told me that she was in a lot of pain  and that she had even more painful red bumps. She asked me how I felt when I had the Shingles and I described to her what I felt. She realized that she probably has the same thing. My sister ended up taking her to the Hospital since the rashes had already reached her eye. They diagnosed her with Shingles. She sent me a text just a few minutes ago and told me that the medication they prescribed to her is very expensive. I told her that money comes and goes, but if her vision is affected it might never return, so it's worth getting the medication. She agreed and I'm guessing she went to buy them. She told me that it itches really badly, so I told her not to scratch since that's what I understand.

My question to you guys is if anyone here knows of any homemade remedies to calm the itch so that she doesn't scratch. Back when I had those I just used alcohol and it didn't work, plus someone told me that it was bad since it would only dry up the blisters. I'm very worried for her. I hope that it doesn't affect her vision.
Bookmark and Share

Offline HealthAnxiety12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: My mother has the Shingles.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 10:33:10 PM »
My mother had shingles for a long time. It comes back every so often when she's really stressed, but she pretty much cured it with high doses of vitamin C. Maybe that would be able to help your mother.
Bookmark and Share

Offline BlueCricket

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 12:05:02 AM »
Okay, thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline HealthAnxiety12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 12:07:37 AM »
Okay, thanks!

No problem. She takes 15 grams of vitamin C per day. It seems like a lot, but it helped her so much.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: