Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Getting anxious watching Twilight Breaking Dawn 2...ughhhhhh  (Read 295 times)

Offline bubbles18

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Getting anxious watching Twilight Breaking Dawn 2...ughhhhhh
« on: January 17, 2014, 09:36:50 PM »
Highly dislike feeling anxious while watching some shows. I use to love watching scary, thrilling movies and now I hardly can watch them when I feel crappy because I start to feel anxious.  Im watching a movie now and getting chest pain ughhhhhh I hate feeling like this cant enjoy alot of the things I use too.  Guess it is what it is and I just need to learn to deal with this.....it is whom I am. Deep breathing.....deep breathing...positive thoughts.... :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline MITRush

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Getting anxious watching Twilight Breaking Dawn 2...ughhhhhh
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 01:19:03 AM »
I had the same problem.  I used to be addicted to horror movies, but once I fell into an anxiety state, I was too sensitized to watch them without becoming very anxious and uncomfortable.  You will probably have to recover from the anxiety state before you can watch thriller/ horror movies again like you used to.

What I am about to say might sound at odds with what you have heard, but when you feel the uncomfortable symptoms coming, deep breathing isn't always the best course of action.  Deep breathing is an action you take to try and control your anxiety.  Really, the quickest way to fully recover from an anxiety state is to not fight it at any turn.  Let it do it's worst at all times; this might sound scary, but adrenaline can only do so much and will never be harmful to you.  So, for instance, when I started to recover, and I would feel the chest pains/ pressure, I would think "Well, this sucks, but the quickest way for this to go away forever is to just let it happen.  There is really nothing I can do to make it go away right now, so I might as well co-exist with it the best I can."  That's the kind of line of thinking that really defuses anxiety so your mind can rebuild itself.  The other thing that should be in the back of your mind is knowing that it is harmless, always, and that it will eventually go away.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bubbles18

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 10:33:24 AM »
Thanks for the response.  It really does suck that we get this way watching shows. Also, its funny you mention that about letting the anxiety run its course and accept it because I increased my meds last night as instructed from 50 to 75 mg Sertreline and woke up feeling a bit crappy.  A little shaky nervous and hot/cold slight sweats so I was like oh noooo here we go again this shouldn't be happening then I was like well maybe the increase in meds started it and me being nervous last night to increase also the hectic day I had might all be triggering the symptoms again. So I got up and been trying to shake it off and not dwell over it but as u know its sometimes easier said then done. But, im hoping I relax sooner or later. Thanks again3
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 03:09:42 PM »
Hi Bubbles...

Your waking-up this morning feeling a little shaky, nervous, having hot/cold sensation, and slight sweets, are all classic side effects of the increase in your Sertraline (Zoloft).  Increasing your Zoloft last night caused an increase in serotonin levels throughout your body.  It will take a little time for your body to adjust to the increase in medication.  Initially, when starting an anti-depressant, side effects last approximately two weeks.  Increases in dosages are usually a little more short lived.

Monitoring one's breathing can really help to disperse anxiety symptoms.  Part of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), is learning proper breathing techniques.  I often find one of two things occurring with my breathing when I feel very anxious.    First, I can almost be holding my breath, or breathing very slow and shallow.  And second, I can be hyperventilating, and not even be aware that I'm doing that.  Inhaling through your nose, and exhaling through your mouth, at a steady rate of 6-8 breaths per minute, can really help.

Another thing that you want to do is not to fight your anxiety.  When you fight the sensations of anxiety, you are merely causing a loop of fear feeding fear.  You want to break this cycle by doing your best to relax and accept the feelings of anxiety.

My sister pointed out something to me...  I was having a somewhat rough day with my anxiety.  She called me later that evening and asked me how my day had been. I mentioned my anxiety level, and she pointed out that we all have bad days.  That really stuck with me.  Even if we got rid of our anxiety/panic attacks/depression, we are still going to have off days.  Accepting those off days as just part of life, has been added to my tool chest.

The very best to you, Bubbles!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline spektical-face

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 05:48:24 PM »
I'm new to this forum. Just reading through some people's posts. I like reading things like this because I used to think I was on my own. The smallest strangest things can scare me when I'm feeling bad including films that I usually love. I'm not sure why but I'm glad I'm not the only one x
Bookmark and Share

Offline bubbles18

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 07:10:31 PM »
Hi Chuck,

Well that puts me somewhat at ease to know the increase in meds is what caused these symptoms to occur. I was about to freak out. My headaches had stopped for like 2 days or so but have a slight one coming on today yet again. My temples and back of head that is uahhhhh. But I tried to go on about my day as though nothing was wrong and actually got through a 2nd yr old birthday party without freaking out so that was big for me.  When I dont feel that bad I tell myself I have this disorder and its part of me I just need to br able to control it and try and keep it at bay and if it flares up try and calm myself as best as I can. It upsets me sometimes though to know I have this and saddens me because I always had control of everything and now I have no control over these symptoms that I feel and it literally sucks! But I cant do anything about it....I dont want this to rule my life. Thanks again for the comforting words.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thesilentdiva

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 02:04:31 AM »
I understand exactly what you are going through. I don't even like to go to the movies I wasn't a big movie goer before but with anxiety is really hard especially all those people and then depending on what movie it is its horrible for me. Some shows I can watch and my friends don't understand why I don't want to watch movies with them or certain shows they don't understand that it can trigger anxiety for me.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: