Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: MS Symptoms and Xanax  (Read 402 times)

Offline sallydraper

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
MS Symptoms and Xanax
« on: January 17, 2014, 07:54:15 PM »
I really hope someone will answer.

I have been dealing with MS Symptoms for 9 months. I've seen three doctors who have dismissed me. I asked for a neur ref and will see one later this month.

I have major flight anxiety and was prescribed xanax for a cross country flight. I had some xanax left so I took one this week to see if it would help my symptoms as it did when I took my flight.

When I took it my numbness decreased dramatically, I felt steady on my feet, and no longer worried. I thought this was a great sign. The next day I googled xanax and ms and found two people (who have a positive MS dx) say it helped their numbness etc.

So now I guess I could still have MS and xanax helped my symptoms. How could xanax make MS induced numbness almost go away?

I am so sad and just know I have MS and that my neuro will tell me he suspects I do in two weeks. I am living in a prison of fear. Can someone please respond?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: MS Symptoms and Xanax
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 08:09:44 PM »
Numbness is also caused by anxiety. Xanax reduced your anxiety, so you have reduced numbness.

Three doctors dismissed MS. Why? What were your symptoms?

Finally, you were feeling well, and you still had to google to find something is wrong? Tip of the day : Stop googling completely about health and you will live much happier life.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sallydraper

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 08:24:04 PM »
Thank you!

I still have symptoms.

I have chronic numbness in hands and feet that is exactly the same in both every day.. but it moves around. Today it is in my palms..tomorrow it might move to my fingers..the next day top of my hands..etc.

I have numb patches that come and go on my left side. My left lower leg and left lower arm feel very tingly right now. Sometimes that goes away but when it comes around it stays for about 5 days.

My legs feel shaky walking down stairs..my fingers sometimes shake.

About twice a month I get shooting pains in my left arm only. I can no longer carry anything above 2 pounds or my arms get exhausted and heavy.

BUT..I am an avid runner and run four times a week..3 miles each time. I have been doing this during the entire 9 month ordeal with no fatigue..or leg exhaustion..

This does not add up. Also, I am never tired or fatigued as I see people talk about on MS boards.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 08:34:06 PM »
I can no longer carry anything above 2 pounds or my arms get exhausted and heavy.

You can't or you feel you can't? For example, can you do biceps curls with 10 pounds 10 times? (If you could do that before, don't know what is your strength level)
Bookmark and Share

Offline sallydraper

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 08:37:50 PM »
I have noticed when I carry around a six pack of soda in plastic bottles for 10 mins in a store....the arm feels heavy for a good 15 mins after I sit them down. I can go to the gym and lift five pound weight for short intervals and feel fine but when I hold an object for an extended period of time it exhausts my arms. I never had this issue before.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 08:42:22 PM »
That could be due to way too much tension in arms caused by anxiety. It looks like perceived weakness, not true weakness, which is great, since anxiety causes that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sallydraper

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 08:49:05 PM »
Thank you hypo! I have also noticed the nerves in the backs of my hands see very irritated so when I accidentally hit them when closing the fridge door for example I am in pain. Maybe I m clenching my muscles constantly and don't even know it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: