Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Ouch! My neck and shoulders are really tight. :(  (Read 186 times)

Offline treadstone

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
Ouch! My neck and shoulders are really tight. :(
« on: January 17, 2014, 03:02:23 PM »
Hi!

So the past couple weeks I've been feeling a bunch of painful, weird sensations. The most concerning was a very bad pain in my chest/abdomen area. Because of it, I ended up running off to the E.R. day before yesterday - EKG and blood work came back fine, and they told me it was probably my GERD and gastritis acting up. Yesterday was the best day I had in a long, long time. Today's not too bad either, but the other sensation that's been haunting me has been bugging me for a couple of hours now.

My neck and shoulder, particularly my left shoulder, are so seized up that it hurts. Especially when I move. Even getting around my apartment takes a lot of effort, mainly because the more I move (and the longer distance I walk, measured in mere steps!) the more it seizes up. To the point where I start to feel a painful tugging in my chest, which sets me off! I now know I'm not in any real danger but I still get incredibly anxious when the tugging starts because it gets worse and worse the farther I walk. I am illogically scared of what will happen if I just walk and walk and let it get worse and worse. I've actually tried to see how bad it could get, on purpose, because I've ready a ton of books about anxiety that say you should deliberately make it worse and worse so you can see it through to the end and realize there's no terrible fate awaiting on 'the other side. But I always chicken out.

I can still breathe perfectly fine, and I can swallow okay (maybe a tiny bit more difficult). It reminds me of my first day of 6th grade, when I had so much stuff in my backpack that it must have weighed like ten pounds. Except worse. And with that chest tug thing, which is my least favorite part.

I'm putting a lot of icy-hot on it. My neck feels really weird and lumpy and tense to the touch. I know anxiety can cause muscle spasms but man is this rough. It's tolerable when I'm stationary (sitting, lying down), but even standing still is hard to tolerate (But I can manage). It's moving that's hard. Anyone else know of how I can deal with what I imagine is a spasm? Any good stretches I can try? Thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Ouch! My neck and shoulders are really tight. :(
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 05:52:44 PM »
Sounds like muscle tension, which a massage should help.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline NeverAgain2

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Ouch! My neck and shoulders are really tight. :(
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 11:29:36 PM »
Hi!

So the past couple weeks I've been feeling a bunch of painful, weird sensations. The most concerning was a very bad pain in my chest/abdomen area. Because of it, I ended up running off to the E.R. day before yesterday - EKG and blood work came back fine, and they told me it was probably my GERD and gastritis acting up. Yesterday was the best day I had in a long, long time. Today's not too bad either, but the other sensation that's been haunting me has been bugging me for a couple of hours now.

My neck and shoulder, particularly my left shoulder, are so seized up that it hurts. Especially when I move. Even getting around my apartment takes a lot of effort, mainly because the more I move (and the longer distance I walk, measured in mere steps!) the more it seizes up. To the point where I start to feel a painful tugging in my chest, which sets me off! I now know I'm not in any real danger but I still get incredibly anxious when the tugging starts because it gets worse and worse the farther I walk. I am illogically scared of what will happen if I just walk and walk and let it get worse and worse. I've actually tried to see how bad it could get, on purpose, because I've ready a ton of books about anxiety that say you should deliberately make it worse and worse so you can see it through to the end and realize there's no terrible fate awaiting on 'the other side. But I always chicken out.

I can still breathe perfectly fine, and I can swallow okay (maybe a tiny bit more difficult). It reminds me of my first day of 6th grade, when I had so much stuff in my backpack that it must have weighed like ten pounds. Except worse. And with that chest tug thing, which is my least favorite part.

I'm putting a lot of icy-hot on it. My neck feels really weird and lumpy and tense to the touch. I know anxiety can cause muscle spasms but man is this rough. It's tolerable when I'm stationary (sitting, lying down), but even standing still is hard to tolerate (But I can manage). It's moving that's hard. Anyone else know of how I can deal with what I imagine is a spasm? Any good stretches I can try? Thanks!

This is a pretty common problem.  I had it, only on the right side, and I grew to fear the symptoms, and things got a lot worse.  It sounds like you have a more level head than I had.  Accept that it is anxiety, replace the distressing thought with a calm, rational one, and stay busy with the real things of life. The tugging in the chest is horrible; it's a weird feeling, but one caused by all the tight muscles in your back and side.

I'm not doctor, and this ain't medical advice, but I've had similar, and after every test known to man and animal it was, in the end, chronic stress and anxiety.  I had to make changes.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: