Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Sudden chest pain, scared of cancer  (Read 298 times)

Offline Jaybuck151

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Sudden chest pain, scared of cancer
« on: January 16, 2014, 06:48:32 PM »
I've had a hoarse voice for 2 months now which my doctor said was silent reflux. It's hard for me to believe this because it's more of an opinion to me than a fact.
Anyways I've been prescribed with a PPI called pantropazol. It's been two weeks since I've started it and ever since then I've been experience a pain in my chest that comes and goes. It starts in the center of my chest. If feels like something is in my chest and it's pushing out on my rib cage. A really weird pressure feeling. Sometimes it's sharp sometimes it's dull and it lasts a few hours. I always have it when I wake up in the morning. I never had heartburn or anything before in my life. I've it had this feeling since I've been taking a medication that reduces heartburn. Ironic right?

I fear Lung cancer since hoarseness is an early symptom of this. I have no other cold like symptoms but a hoarse voice, sometimes neck pain. And this intense chest pain. I'm 20 years old.

Any comments? Would be very much appreciated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline RussulaEmetica

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Sudden chest pain, scared of cancer
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 07:53:05 PM »
I know my heartburn always seems to be bad in the AM. Also pantropazol doesn't seem to be for immediately remedying GERD, so it may take a little while longer.

I would give your GP a call, remind him/her the medication you're on and see what their feelings are about your symptoms, you may just be having a negative reaction to the meds. It could also be anxiety-related as well, as I think many of us with HA have chest pains as well as heartburn issues.

Lastly, what makes you worry about lung cancer aside from the symptoms? Are you a frequent smoker or anything? My understanding is that your chance of LC is incredibly low if you're not a frequent cigarette smoker. Have you gotten any tests like chest x-rays?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jaybuck151

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 08:20:31 PM »
I never have been a smoker at all. I smoke marijuana though. And when I was 17 a smoked synthetic marijuana (yeah I know it's terrible) for a few months because of drug tests for work. But after that in fever touched it again and never will. That's where the lung cancer fear sets in. I haven't had any x rays, my doctors don't seem concerned enough about potential cancer to give me one. It also feels like there's a lump eighth behind my Adam's apple and I feel it when I swallow, it's really uncomfortable. I went to an ENT he's the one who said it was LPR (reflux) I'm a huge hypochondriac though, that's why I'm here. And I have bad anxiety since my voice is the main part of my career and I've been losing money since this has happened.
Bookmark and Share

Offline i960

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 08:26:14 PM »
What are your body dimensions/type (height/weight/build) and have you had a recent ECG (echo) or seen a cardiologist? I don't think there's anything majorly wrong with you, nor do I think you have cancer.

That being said, there's a direct connection to the chest pain in that you said it started when you started the medication. A disease showing up coincidentally at the same time would be near impossible statistically.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jaybuck151

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 09:50:11 PM »
I960 - I am 6'0 and weigh 135lbs. Been tall and skinny my whole life. Have a really fast metabolism
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jaybuck151

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 09:54:28 PM »
And I haven't been to a cardiologist. I've been meanin. Too because I have an abnormal heartbeat. I have had it my whole life.
Bookmark and Share

Offline i960

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 02:00:25 AM »
Jay, are you familiar with Marfan's syndrome? That's the reason I asked for your body type/dimensions - particularly in your mention of a hoarse voice/chest pain. Individuals with Marfan syndrome are prone to aortic dissection - which must be monitored by a cardiologist with yearly ECGs. Now I wouldn't start freaking out or anything, as you may not even fit the profile - and quite honestly I believe the medication has something to do with the situation as it ties in time-wise with the symptoms. However, I do think it might be a good idea to see a cardiologist if you believe you may fit the profile for Marfan's. Some of the signs are arm-span greater than height, flat feet, certain chest structures, a few specific hand signs (which you can test on your own), excessive flexibility, and certain facial features. Determining if there is an issue simply requires an ECG (echo) and measurement of aorta size.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pippy187

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 01:53:00 AM »
Not really the best way to discuss an anxiety post by leaving the mind to wander about marfans and leaving dissection in the convo.  Your GP and you should have a conversation.  Sounds like you have a lot of chest symptoms like myself.  Anxiety can also increase blood flow to your larynx causing that lump feeling and distorted voice. Your reflux could certainly cause that too.
Bookmark and Share
He who fears death cannot enjoy life

My anxiety blog: http://pippy187.wordpress.com/

Tags: