Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Went to Psychiatrist for first time ever today  (Read 778 times)

Offline insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Went to Psychiatrist for first time ever today
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 10:51:36 PM »
If I decide to stop the Lexapro, can I quit it immediately this early in the process or do I have to lower it gradually?

You should be able to just stop, but you could drop the dose in half for a couple of days if it would ease any concerns you may have.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 11:23:23 PM »
I heard it delays your orgasms. Why?

A good question without any good answers atm. About the only thing really known is that drugs that bind with the serotonin transporters trigger sexual dysfunctions such as anorgasmia, but those which block serotonin 5-HTA2 receptors, e.g. trazodone, enhance it. It seems to be at least partially genetic as those with the 5-HT2A GG genotype are more likely to develop SSRI linked sexual dysfunction than those with the AA and GA variants.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline dh1972

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 12:30:36 AM »
Ian,

I've wondered about maybe suggesting to my Psych Dr. of trying Doxepin.

I tried it at very lose dose (up 30 mg for about a week) last summer from my sleep dr. but it did not get me drowsy at all - but that is a very low dose.  No side effects though, but that was low.

I think 75 mg is the starting dose?

Maybe a higher dose would help with sleep and anxiety.

Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 12:58:17 AM »

The usual dose range for insomnia is 20-50mg, so try 50mg first. It has relatively low potency at serotonin transporters so you should be able to go to 75mg without affecting Lexapro too much. It is a pretty good 5-HT2A receptor antagonist too which may also alleviate the anorgasmia to some extent.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline dh1972

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 12:58:51 PM »

The usual dose range for insomnia is 20-50mg, so try 50mg first. It has relatively low potency at serotonin transporters so you should be able to go to 75mg without affecting Lexapro too much. It is a pretty good 5-HT2A receptor antagonist too which may also alleviate the anorgasmia to some extent.

Ian

I decided to stop the Lexapro.  The insomnia and the sexual side effects are just not worth it and they are not easing up.

If I were to go on Doxepin from sleep and anxiety, 75mg typical while ramping up to that?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 03:45:08 PM »
I remind myself of one of those mental health patients that have escaped from the Looney Bin. (Please know that was a joke, so I hope whoever reads this doesn't get offended by that statement)

Reported to Moderators.

Potatoes,

I find your bolded statement about my post very offensive, as if humor is intended to be banned on this forum.  I especially have an objection where you make me, as the author of this post, look like some violator on this forum, as if I have committed some crime, which I have not.

Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 05:00:33 PM »
I remind myself of one of those mental health patients that have escaped from the Looney Bin. (Please know that was a joke, so I hope whoever reads this doesn't get offended by that statement)

Reported to Moderators.

Potatoes,

I find your bolded statement about my post very offensive, as if humor is intended to be banned on this forum.  I especially have an objection where you make me, as the author of this post, look like some violator on this forum, as if I have committed some crime, which I have not.

Humor was intended in mine as well. lol. I didn't report you.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 05:13:21 PM »
thanks for the clarification.  I wasn't aware of your motives.  I apologize if my tone was a bit too TypeA and fu-ish.....  at least I took my meds this morning.  ;*)
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 05:24:38 PM »
I decided to stop the Lexapro.  The insomnia and the sexual side effects are just not worth it and they are not easing up.

I wouldn't expect them to in just over a week.

If I were to go on Doxepin from sleep and anxiety, 75mg typical while ramping up to that?

The tricyclics are usually much more benign when it comes to startup (and discontinuation) side-effects, but I suggest you start at 25mg/day and ramp it up by the same every 4-5 days.

Ian

Bookmark and Share

Offline dh1972

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 10:57:24 PM »

I wouldn't expect them to in just over a week.

The tricyclics are usually much more benign when it comes to startup (and discontinuation) side-effects, but I suggest you start at 25mg/day and ramp it up by the same every 4-5 days.

Ian

After 5-6 nights of just getting a few hours of sleep each night just becomes brutal.  Very hard to function and I feel miserable.  Doesn't seem to be letting up at all.  The sexual side effect I could give more time, but the lack of sleep, ugh.

I will consider the Doxepin with my Dr, thanks.  Is this a pretty good anti-anxiety med and safe in general?
Bookmark and Share

Offline dh1972

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 11:04:22 PM »
Double post
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2014, 11:38:09 PM »
Is this a pretty good anti-anxiety med and safe in general?

It is about the same as the other tricyclics (TCAs), but is a more potent inhibitor of norepinephrine (noradrenaline) reuptake than of serotonin than most of this class. It probably would be used more if not for the sedation. Like all the TCAs it is less safe in overdose than the SSRIs except Celexa (citalopram) and Lexapro (escitalopram) and produces more ongoing side-effects such as dry mouth and constipation. Whether it will be a good med for you can only be determined by trying it, unfortunately.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline dh1972

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 07:42:12 PM »
Hey Ian,

Is Doxepin and Silenor the exact same thing?  If so, curious why the Silenor dosages are so tiny by comparison.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 08:37:36 PM »
Is Doxepin and Silenor the exact same thing?  If so, curious why the Silenor dosages are so tiny by comparison.

Silenor is a brand of sleeping pills which contains doxepin as the active ingredient. Low doses can cause enough sedation to induce sleep, but are not high enough to initiate the anti anxiety/depression response.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: