Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: New - Residual anxiety after a panic attack  (Read 478 times)

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New - Residual anxiety after a panic attack
« on: January 15, 2014, 09:27:26 PM »
I've been anxious all week and had a full panic attack last night (I suffer from health anxiety). Today I feel anxious and on edge. Is this normal? How long does it usually last for? I have to fly on Friday and I don't want to be this anxious!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: New - Residual anxiety after a panic attack
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 05:58:28 AM »
An anxiety attack can leave you wrecked / drained the following day. It can take a lot out of you. The best thing you can do is have a nice warm bath, soft music and relax and put the attack out of your mind. Try and move forwards. If things are done right you should feel well as the day goes on.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Summer04

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 04:12:41 PM »
Hi Lara,

I'll sometimes have residual anxiety after an attack too.  I sometimes get them while driving over bridges.  There is one that I've driven over hundreds of times - to go shopping, to work, to friend's homes - and for some reason since a stoplight was installed at the end and I get stopped on this bridge, I get sweaty, shaky and nervous.  I timed the light - it's just over a minute long.  I should be able to distract myself, but sometimes I have an attack and then I feel annoyed with myself or feel more anxious about what is happening.

So I know how you feel.  It sucks, plain and simple.  :(  I hope you feel better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dreamspirit

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 10:49:23 AM »
When I have anxiety/panic attacks It really takes a toll on me. I will feel ill afterward, can't eat and it will put me in this cycle to where it's like I'm paralyzed on the couch, don't feel like doing anything, and that's when my agoraphobia comes into play. It can last 2-3 months until I start feeling better. Seems that's how long it takes for my body to calm down.. It's crazy and I hate it! Thank god, I don't have to work. I'm a stay at home mom. There is no way I could work like this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 06:55:13 PM »
When I had my first panic attack at 31 it was like the world turned upside down.  Residual anxiety definitely followed, as did another full blown attack before I got on meds and even then it took ages to get on enough of something that worked well, so I went thru lots of anxiety, weird symptoms, depression, etc for over a year (during most of which I was not on enough medicine to really  help other than to prevent the full on attacks). Eventually that got better, and I had over a decade of good times till the beast came back for a short visit, then again another decade (on meds both times most of the time) until this most recent bout, which has not involved much in the way of panic but plenty of anxiety and depression with all the physical symptomology (except not much in the way of palpitations, which did torment me in the first episode especially).  But it does get better, and the residual anxiety tends to go away in tandem with the physically uncomfortable feelings once something works or maybe time passes. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: panic attack