Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Another with H1N1 fears...  (Read 280 times)

Offline dan2913

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Another with H1N1 fears...
« on: January 15, 2014, 04:20:35 PM »
Hi all,

I was doing so well... for almost four months, I was anxiety free. No symptoms, no worries, and just contentment.

Then, I innocently clicked on a story on Accuweather (of all places!) about the flu for the season, and the fact that H1N1 is killing younger people with no pre-existing health conditions. In fact, the internet is ablaze with stories of the like, including in our local paper. I can't believe how much people are talking about the flu, I never really paid attention to it before. And the stories all sound so dire, like the plague has befallen us.

Now, I'm panicking.

I haven't had a flu shot (well... ever), because I generally don't get the flu. To be honest, I'm terrified of getting one - I have PTSD from several incidences of anaphylactic shock and get extremely afraid to try new foods and medications as a result. Also, the vaccine opponents have a lot of curious and frightening things to say about the shot, not to mention that the effectiveness is only like 60%.

I'm not high risk, I know. I don't have pre-existing conditions, I live alone, I work in a small office with little interaction. I take care of myself and practice impeccable hygiene. I rarely get sick with colds or flus.

Lately it feels like there is always a grim reaper around every corner. Always a disease or health condition waiting to kill out of the blue. It's depressing.

Any words of advice?
Bookmark and Share

Offline grdstu85

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Another with H1N1 fears...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 07:17:34 PM »
Same here!  I don't know what to do!!!  The news stuff is pretty scary.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Chantelle

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 12:57:52 PM »
I probably won't be much help but if it's any comfort I feel exactly the same way as you do. I have been great with my anxiety for such a long time but now I feel like the plague has besieged us and it's only a matter of time before I catch it. It's an awful feeling.

Given your history of good health and no medical conditions I would feel confidant that you are going to be ok. I understand your fear given your history of serious reactions (heck, I had one very bad reaction to a medication and am now fearful to get the shot for that reason despite them not being interlinked in any way!).

If I were you I would continue to eat as healthy as possible, lots of green veggies, fruit, sleep as much as you can, wash your hands frequently, don't touch your face, and stay away from crowded places. Chances are you are going to be just fine.

Bookmark and Share

Offline dan2913

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 11:13:05 PM »
Thanks for the upbeat words, I appreciate it. :)

I'm actually more worried now about my best friend - I think he actually was just hit with H1N1 and is not in good shape. I'm praying he gets past it and recovers well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Chantelle

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 12:16:06 AM »
Uuugh, really? That's not fun.

Hypo talking here but are you in an area that has been hard hit by H1N1? I chickened out of getting a flu shot today but I'm almost regretting it...Especially after going to my families place for the evening and have everyone tell me I would have been perfectly fine. Easier said than done I guess!
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 01:58:45 AM »
The news and media will always sensationalize everything that happens. They account for freak incidents and not for benign ones. For example, what do you think the ratio is for young people with no pre-existing conditions getting the flu and LIVING vs these people who got it and died? It's pretty high. I can tell you that right now. It wouldn't be as interesting if they reported about every person that caught the flu and lived because it happens so often and is way more common. Seriously, hundreds of thousands to millions of people get the flu at some point during flu season. The numbers would be like 5:1,000,000 or something in favor of your survival.

You also have to consider that they will deliberately leave out pertinent information to make the stories seem more shocking and scarier.

According to you, also, you don't really ever get the flu. You probably have a strong immune system. I get the flu every year. I'm very susceptible to illnesses. I've had H1N1 before. And yet, I'm alive typing this post.

Don't worry. You're going to be fine.  :yes:
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Tags: