Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Day 10 of Prozac  (Read 214 times)

Offline Checkpointjc

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Day 10 of Prozac
« on: January 15, 2014, 10:55:46 AM »
So just wanted to post a quick update to the forum today to let everyone know how its going.  Last time I checked in I was struggling with some pretty nasty side effects of the medication. I did send a note to my doctor who told me to hang in there a while longer and also provided a prescription for Xanax to help me sleep through the night.  I didn't fill the prescription as I just didn't want to add another medication to mix. 

So last night I slept soundly through the night, no brain zaps, no insomnia, no waking up in a panic in the middle of the night.  I did wake up this morning and experience a heightened level of anxiety, and yesterday around lunch I struggled a bit too, but overall have been feeling my overall anxiety drop and can manage through the panic that does come.

I'm not sure at this point if its the medicine working or just my mindfulness to relax, do deep breathing, and not let the fear overtake me.  I'm hoping this upswing continues although I'm not sure if it will or not on 10mg of Prozac.  At this point I want to keep my medication levels as low as possible and continue to make lifestyle changes and educate myself on what I can do for myself to get better.

I do not suffer from depression in any form, even when struggling with Anxiety I managed to live a pretty normal life.  I do like to socialize and have a few beers with friends on occasion, while I have no intention of drinking at my levels previous to the medication I still want to be able to relax and enjoy a few every now and then.  I checked with my doctor who told me 1, 2 beers per day would be fine, don't overdo it because of liver function.  I never have nor want to drink everyday, but I'm going to see how the next few days go and maybe have a few on Saturday.

Thats my update, hope all is well with everyone.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Day 10 of Prozac
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 04:25:34 PM »
I'm hoping this upswing continues although I'm not sure if it will or not on 10mg of Prozac.  At this point I want to keep my medication levels as low as possible and continue to make lifestyle changes and educate myself on what I can do for myself to get better.

You should go to at least 20mg, which is the low end of the therapeutic dose range needed to initiate and sustain the growth of new brain cells that produce the therapeutic response. Taking less is not only pointless, but can increase the risk of later poop-out.

Also be aware that it generally takes 3-12 weeks for antidepressants to kick-in once you're on a therapeutic dose. Because of its long half-life, Prozac tends to be a slow starter.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: