Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: University is killin' me  (Read 254 times)

Offline Danielle222

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
University is killin' me
« on: January 15, 2014, 02:52:00 AM »
Heya,

So I'm what you'd probably consider an extrovert. I've always thought of myself that way at least. I have no problems talking to strangers and in fact my job is socializing with the public. Since I started university, however, I've been really struggling because of that evilest of all evils - the participation grade. I'm in my second year and didn't realize that I might actually have an anxiety disorder until today because, well, I thought I was just a bit shy. This is until my friend informed me that it is totally not normal to dread a discussion in class for weeks, and then if I even think about speaking break out into a sweat, get super nauseous, and have my heart threaten to explode out my chest. I dropped a class on pirates (PIRATES) because there were too many discussion groups and a three minute presentation which made me want to throw up right when I got the syllabus. Going to school in general makes me a bit queasy, which is ironic because when I'm stressed out I eat. It's a lose lose.

Anyways, I take great pleasure in the fact that if I do have an anxiety disorder there is medication I can take. I have zero qualms with chemicalizing all up in here, in fact I love a quick scientific fix. I was just wondering if anyone had suffered the same kind of thing as me (i.e. school related and not necessarily branching out from school - well at least not often) and as well if anyone suffering SAD at all has taken some sort of medication and gotten their hands to stop shaking. I'm seeing a doctor soon, I guess I just crave reassurance?

It's also kind of nice stumbling onto this site in general. Realizing you have an anxiety disorder is a lot more comforting when you realize that you're not alone.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jgiard

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: University is killin' me
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 01:48:35 PM »
 I have experienced the same thing ever since I had to do a presentation in elementary school and wanted to stay home sick. I am now in college and dread the "final presentation" or any speaking whatsoever. similar to you, my job requires me to talk to strangers every day and im not really a shy person in general but the discussions and presentations kill me. I actually told a professor I couldn't present or id throw up and that id like to take a F for the grade, which I didn't get an F but refusing to do it definitely impacted my score. and I had been thinking about that presentation ever since I saw it on the syllabus. I didn't realize I had a issue until I started realizing that other people in my classes were a bit nervous, but didn't really worry as much as me and didn't look like they were having a seizure up in front of the class. I talked to my doctor about it and he prescribed me with Ativan (lorazepam..generic) which is a low dose sedative essentially (anti anxiety med) and that relaxes me enough to do what I need to do, I don't want to become a zombie. if I know there will be a discussion or presentation I take one about an hour before (to let it kick in) and it lasts about 4 hours or so getting weaker as time goes on. I keep a few in my school bag and the rest in my car. this drug is also good for if you have a lot on your mind, it helps you relax or get to sleep a little easier if need be. Iv heard others with this issue using stronger drugs like Xanax , it all depends on the severity of your situation and what your doctor feels is best for you. hope this helps!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: