Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Ladies.. Finally made a Gyn appointment and very anxious!  (Read 159 times)

Offline Gemgrl2000

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Ladies.. Finally made a Gyn appointment and very anxious!
« on: January 14, 2014, 07:55:42 PM »
Hey all,

I finally just got it over with.. Making the first Gyn appointment I've had in 5-6 years! It helped that I found an all female office and I was able to schedule and fill out paperwork online but I'm still very anxious.
Question, I've been having a discharge for the past couple of months which scared me to death. I finally got the nerve to go to patient first where the Dr did a swab and manually checked my uterus and ovaries. She came back with a diagnosis of BV which I was actually glad to hear because the only symptom was the discharge, no smell. She didn't comment on the manual exam which lasted all of 2 seconds. Do you think if something was "off" she would have noticed? I'm wondering because I know she's a gen. Practitioner and not a Gyn so I'm curious. She also told me that the brand new pap guidelines were every 5 years after a normal pap.. has anyone else heard this? I'm on day 2 of Flagyl which is doing the trick on this infection.
Btw, I'm 45 and pretty sure I'm peri menopausal . My cycles have been a little wonky over the past 6 months.. Not every month but there have been 2 that were a bit early.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ceh1354

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
Re: Ladies.. Finally made a Gyn appointment and very anxious!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 08:11:02 PM »
Hi There,
Just so you have some good thoughts, my last GYN visit was almost a year ago (March), and I hadn't been in 4.5 years. I was terrified!! I was terrified before the appt,  had about 5 minutes relief after, then thought Oh, now I have to wait for the results! So another few weeks! (my results must have gotten lost LOL)

Anyhow, all came out fine. I was so scared that I had developed some awful condition in the years I had missed. I didn't.

I would check with your GYN about the new guidelines for Pap. I think that you need to have 3 negative paps before getting them every 3-5 years. Check to see what she says.

Irregular cycles would be a normal thing to have in your age range. I am in that range too, although mine are somewhat regulated with an IUD.

Don't be in agony waiting for your appointment. Keep us updated! :-)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gemgrl2000

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 11:16:09 PM »
Thanks for your reply :-)

It's good to hear a story like yours ended up fine.. I wouldn't be so freaked out about going if I had been even a couple of years ago but you hear so much on this board alone about further testing and tests send me over the edge! So glad your visit turned out good and you have calmed my fears a good bit.. Much appreciated!

Bookmark and Share

Offline ceh1354

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 11:21:21 PM »
You're welcome!

I missed one of your questions- I think that the GP would have mentioned if she felt something wrong, to make sure you followed up on it. Most GPs can do Paps and know what the "parts" should feel like. :-)
Everything will be fine!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: