Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: My list of visual and eye symptoms  (Read 430 times)

Offline HealthAnxiety12

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
My list of visual and eye symptoms
« on: January 14, 2014, 07:48:32 PM »
My visual symptoms are scaring me the most right now, so I decided to make a separate thread to see if anyone has experienced them. Here they are:

Dry eyes
A gritty feeling in my eyes
A burning sensation in my eyes
Jolts of pain in the back of my eyes
An increase in eye floaters
Transient fuzzy spots in vision
Transient misting of vision
Slightly blurred vision (went away after a week and a half but comes back occasionally)
Flashes of light while eyes are closed
Black lines in my peripheral vision (comes and goes and is only noticeable in certain lighting)
Zigzag lines in vision
Transient pitch black patches in dark lighting
Transient flashes of light in vision
Transient scurrying black dots in vision
Glare in vision that isn't from my glasses (this has been present for over a week and is only noticeable in certain lighting)
A sensation of something lightly touching my eyelids

I've been to an ophthalmologist who said that my eyes were fine and I'm going to an optometrist in a few days for further insight. Has anyone had these symptoms before and did they go away? I'm afraid of going blind and nearly had a panic attack because I woke up with a blanket over my head and thought that I had lost my eyesight.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Noclip1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: My list of visual and eye symptoms
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 04:11:37 PM »
Hello there. I too had serious fears of going blind since I was 12 and  my fear was more intense when I turned 14. The symptoms that I had before like the ones you described were the flashes of light,dry eyes, the burning sensation, the zig zags, and the glare as well. I also saw 2 different eye doctors (optometrist and then an ophthalmologist) and nothing was ever found. I have 20/20 vision and have excellent night vision. I also developed weird, creepy visuals after stressing out so much about my vision but it's still as perfect as before.

The thing about me is that the more I freaked out about my eyes, the more weird things I noticed. I am about to get over my visual hypochondria again and I hope you do to.

I honestly think you'll be fine as I had random weird things pop up in my visuals too and I came back fine =).
Bookmark and Share

Offline Noclip1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 04:16:11 PM »
And to answer your other question; Some of the visual symptoms went away and others stayed. It's possible that I simply programmed my brain to see them now or that I had them before and it's just being hyperaware probably contributed to me noticing a wide variety of visual symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hunniedeww24

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 07:36:24 PM »
I agree with NoClip..once you hyper focus thats it....also anxiety causes stress headache which yours could be in the form of occular migraines.....mine are. Im right there with you.
Bookmark and Share
~The one big bummer about reality is.....there's no awesome background music~

Offline MrTweeprise

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 09:36:14 PM »
I've had the same problems for about 6 months now. It definitely correlates with my anxiety (they both act up at the same time). About 3 months ago I had a panic attack the day before my appointment with the opthamologist. The next day, she told me I have a picture-perfect retina and good vision (though I wear glasses with a light perscription).

I usually notice that my visual disturbances go up after my morning cup of coffee and get better throughout the day. I've also experimented with telling myself to look for them for an hour or so, and sure enough, I was seeing all sorts of things. Once I stop thinking about them, they go away. The transient blind spots are the scariest ones, but overall I'm starting to become desensitized.

Take into consideration that some of these symptoms are migraine-related (especially the zig-zags). I get migraines every once and a while, so I know that my brain might just be a little goofy sometimes. It's nothing to worry about!

In western culture, we are trained to think that everything has an explanation. Usually, that explanation is anxiety. However, I also believe in a more Buddhist perspective: some things just "are". They are there, and learning to accept the symptoms is the best bet!

Good luck and take care of yourself!  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: