Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Trouble swallowing  (Read 269 times)

Offline hayter

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Trouble swallowing
« on: January 14, 2014, 05:33:20 PM »
Iv had trouble swallowing now for a good month. When I say swallowing I don't have an issue swallowing food or drink but my problem is completing the swallowing process.

It's like if you try to swallow 3-4 times in a row. As I swallow, everything locks up half way through and I have to either fight it and eventually it will finish or stop and start over.

It started off as an every so often thing but has now gotten worse and happening several times a day.

Iv been to the doctors several times and she thinks it's anxiety or goblus - though I can see how anxiety is defiantly playing a part in this as the more it happens the more I swallow to try and figure out what's going on - therefore swallowing more than I need to . But I don't think it's goblus as from what iv searched that's more of a lump in the throat which I don't have.

I'm convinced it's something terrible like throat cancer, saliva gland or tounge cancer.

I do have an appointment in 2 months time for an ent but that's ages away and each day I feel my anxiety levels are rising

My doctor won't do nothing else and I don't Know what to do! I can't stop thinking and worrying about it
Bookmark and Share

Offline middlenamehypochondria

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Re: Trouble swallowing
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 06:25:25 PM »
I have had the exact same thing.  Mine was nothing more than anxiety, but it sure prevented me from fully enjoying my vacation.  It is really common with anxiety that's for sure!
Bookmark and Share

Offline hayter

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 06:39:01 PM »
How did you stop it? Im just convinced it something's bad! It's all I think about it and I can't stop! Them only way il stop us if the swallowing stops.

I know deep down it probably is anxiety but in my head it's something bad
Bookmark and Share

Offline i960

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 07:25:15 PM »
This is globus hystericus.

Seriously, most normal people cannot swallow 3-4 times in succession without it jamming up. Additionally, do a search of "swallow" or "throat" on here and you'll see literally 100s of threads. That in itself is enough evidence it isn't anything but anxiety.

Let me put it another way. It's like saying "hey guys, when I drink a lot of alcohol, I have trouble walking and I tend to fall down and smash into things… do I have a neurological problem?" Most people would recognize that that's ridiculous and there is a direct cause. Well here, your direct cause is anxiety and the sympathetic nervous system. Anxiety is all in the head - but it *does* manifest itself physically because the body responds to the brain. I believe this is the hardest thing for people to accept, but realistically that's all that is going on here.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Vasallus

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 08:36:43 PM »
Acid reflux could be a cause as well. Do you have bloating/belching problems too? I have trouble swallowing and my doctor said it is probably avid reflux and to take some Prilosec OTC for a month and see if that helps.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lumpkins07

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 11:06:41 PM »
I have this same problem when my anxiety really acts up. When I start to calm down it goes away. Anxiety can cause so many weird symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Copgrl8

• Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 11:45:57 PM »
I have suffered from this as well.  And it got to the point it was SO BAD I was convinced my throat was closing I went to the ER in sheer panic.
They performed an X-ray of my throat and the ENT doc put a scope down my throat and everything was perfectly normal.
He did tell my this is SO VERY COMMON with people who suffer from anxiety.  I also have acid reflux and that could cause that feeling as well. And that's all it is ... a feeling!  He assured me my airway was clean and clear.
Even after going to the ER it did still bother me for another few days and eventually it just went away.
I think the more I focused on it the worse it got.
To help the feeling I found sucking on ice or hard candy helped because it kept my mouth moist.  Or I just drank a lot of water.
I still get it from time to time but the less attention I give it the sooner it goes away.

Good luck ..., and chin up!!! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline hayter

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 04:22:06 AM »
I know most people cant swallow 3-4 times in a row. Im not saying thats when the issue occours. I get the same response as that randomly through out the day. Everything just locks up. I am a lot more aware of my swallowing but its a case of chicken or egg.

You are right though the hardest part is accepting that the brain manifests symptoms.As i feel them happening its so scary. And the more they happen the more i worry, its a vicious circle.

I do have a bit of belching and acid reflux so i will take some anti acids -

As i said i have an appointment with an ENT in two months but thats so long away - and i swear its getting worse. I just can convince my brain its nothing to worry about it.

I have taken your advised and got some hard candy but it still happening this morning which is really off putting.
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 05:33:25 AM »
You swallow literally hundreds of times per day (when you swallow you saliva) but you're noticing a couple of them - anxiety.  If its was cancer or MS, etc., it would be a constant issue
Bookmark and Share

Offline hayter

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 05:51:00 AM »
I only notice the one where everything locks up. It hard not to notice it. It is happening more as it progresses

I know im probally being silly but its hard - every time it happens i just get a bit more worried
Bookmark and Share

Tags: