Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Brain tumour anxiety ?! Help please?  (Read 1546 times)

Offline hayter

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Re: Brain tumour anxiety ?! Help please?
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 06:16:45 AM »
The neurologist was a couple hundred and so was the MRI - The Neurologist was in Bristol and the MRI was done some where near Bristol.

That was the only scan i had and didnt have anything on the NHS as my Doctor was so rightly sure it was anxiety.

I had other symptoms but the tingling was the my main issue. it really irritated me.

I know how you feel even though everything points to anxiety its hard to accept that it is. Im going through the same thing now and no matter what unless i get a test to prove its nothing serious i will be constantly worrying and probably bringing it on more.

If i was you i would really try not get the MRI otherwise its gets very expensive very fast and the next time your HA appears you will need more testing. When my HA returned a couple years later i had a scan on my leg which was fine. But i was convinced they missed something and had to go private again to get my 2nd scan.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kayleigh

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 07:36:11 AM »
I know what you mean it's kind of similar to what my doctor said, it was something similar to "we can't afford to send you for a scan every couple of years just to put your mind at ease" and explained it would be a vicious circle of needing to have a scan all the time to reassure myself every time I have something wrong, as I thought I had ovarian cancer and they sent me for a scan then.
Are you from near Bristol? I'm up in yorkshire but my boyfriend is from Bristol, I don't know where I would go if I did ask to go private.
I just don't know how to break this cycle so I can tell whether these symptoms are real or if I am making them worse :(
X x x
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dje

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 07:37:24 AM »
Years ago I woke up with a really bad headache, which ended up lasting 13 months, like fingers pressing hard into my temple. Going to a neurologist was terrifying. CT scan, spinal tap, blood/urine work. I was a mess...couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, laid in bed for days. All the tests came back negative fortunately, but the headache persisted.

Eventually the stress from dealing with constant pain resulted in anxiety and depression. After 5 months in pain my mom convinced me to go to the chiropractor she was seeing for sciatica. While I didn't really benefit from the treatment, getting out of the house, being around caring people and others in pain helped. I no longer felt alone. One other benefit was taking their advice to improve my diet. I cut out fast food, which wasn't hard since I didn't eat it that often, and started eating a lot more vegetables and salads. Also fish, olive oil, garlic. I stopped eating red meat. It gave me a sense of control, that I was doing something positive, healthy.

I began taking walks and tried not isolate myself from others. Tried not to be in my head all the time with all the negative thoughts, which is easier said than done. Started thinking more positive.

Finally after 13 months the headache went away. One of the hardest years of my life, but I got through it. You can too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hayter

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 08:15:16 AM »
Yeah im about an hour away from Bristol.

I cant remember the exact places of either of Neruo or mri but i found them all on google. The MRI was only 200 which was really cheap compared to others.

I know what you mean about breaking the cycle. Its all that goes around in our heads. I know some people dont like them but when i get like i go on a short low dose of citalapram as well start going for runs etc. Its suprising how much these help just take your mind off things and relax a little. Once you have done this you wont be fixed on your symptoms all of the time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline perc19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 08:23:46 AM »
You really are not alone.

I have had brain tumour or serious brain health concerns since end of august and it is driving me insane. I have had stabbing pains on right side, tension/pressure headaches all over, head zap things, nausea and now almost like a headrush buzzy, fuzzy feeling when I then felt dizzy and yucky. I have been to see now 5 different doctors, had acupuncture, tried amitryptine, not had an MRI or anything, blood pressure is fine, heart is fine all of them have said it is anxiety!!!!!!!!! Do I stillk believe them not sure? Why do I get this awful feeling in my head???

Anyway now been given beta blockers to take one a day for 2 weeks, go back and start CBT therapy.

Now really scared about beta blockers? Will they work or am I going to feel even worse with more problems???? Who knows, took 1st one lst night, rubbish nights sleep, not sure how I felt.

Anyone else had a positive experience with beta blockers?? Will it stop my 'anxiety' symptoms????

Bookmark and Share

Offline hayter

• Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 08:47:37 AM »
Yeah iv been on Beta Blockers. But i was at the lowest point with my anxiety. I didnt really feel much difference on them. They are ment to calm you down and stop you from getting worked up. The best thing that worked for me was the Citalopram.

They may take a bit of time to kick in too
Bookmark and Share

Offline kayleigh

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 03:18:47 PM »
No £200 is really good for an MRI, I thought that I would be looking at £300 - £400 minimum. I got put on citalopram in 2011 when I first had this, then after I got my CT results I felt ok, so I'm not sure if it was just a coincidence or because I was happy with the results but then of just over a year later the symptoms came back while I was still on the citalopram but the doctor made me come off them last summer which i'm sure didn't help matters. I think I'm going to ask if I can go on some anti anxiety meds again cos even if they don't take away whatever is wrong with me at least i might be able to have a break from all these thought and worries going round in my head.
I just don't understand why this past week has got worse and what is causing the dizziness. In my mind I'm thinking that the dizziness must be another symptom of having a tumour  :(
x x x
Bookmark and Share

Offline kayleigh

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 03:20:37 PM »
hi deje and perc, thanks for your posts :) did your symptoms go away gradually deje or did you just literally wake up one morning and it was gone?
I don't have much experience with beta blockers i'm afraid perc, to be honest I'm not really sure what they are
x x x
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 04:10:31 PM »
Of course none of us can diagnose you. But brain tumours are relatively rare. Going to a doctor won't help with your anxiety. It will temporarily ease it - but in the long run, repeatedly going to your doctor will not help anxiety but in some cases it may just make you even more stressed. You ask anyone here, and you have actually confessed to this yourself, but you know that temporary ease is… well, it's just that - it's "temporary" i.e. it doesn't last long. So it should be of no surprise that your anxiety comes right back soon after being reassured. This is why you need to deal with the cause of the problem rather than with the symptoms of the problem.

First of all, I will speak about my current situation: tingling and headaches are common symptoms of anxiety. Especially headaches. I suffer from headaches which usually last for a week at a time. Right now I am suffering from headaches. Whenever I do something that requires a little concentration, my headache slowly builds up and up - in the temples and forehead that is. Tingling sensations is a symptom that I can actually provoke. I just have to think about tingling sensations in my face and then they appear. It is the same for most of my anxiety symptoms now because I learn what my symptoms are. I also get numbing sensations. Whenever I think of the sensations, they come. Whenever I don't think of them, they are not there.

Now, my advice for you to control your anxiety is as follows: the best way to overcome anxiety is to learn your symptoms. To do this, I recommend you keep a log/diary of your symptoms. You need to write down your worrying thoughts and the symptoms you are currently feeling with those thoughts. It's also a good idea to rate your anxiety level from 1-10. Keep doing this for at least 2-3 months. After you do this, you will be able to go and look back through your log and learn the patterns. When you can pick up on certain patters, you will start to learn how your body reacts to anxiety - i.e. you will learn what your symptoms of anxiety are. At any time though, new anxiety symptoms may appear and this may make you anxious. That hardest thing is when new anxiety symptoms come. Its best to have a method of learning your symptoms. I usually take medication but if it doesn't work, that's an indicator for me that the symptom is caused by anxiety. I also try and concentrate on when the symptoms both appear and how severe they are at the time.

If my symptoms are exhibiting themselves more when I think about them, once again, this is another indicator that it is more likely anxiety. If, and when my symptoms stop when I am not thinking about them, at this point, I am pretty confident it is my anxiety that is causing them. But learning this alone, doesn't help prevent the symptoms. I just learn how to control them. And more importantly, I often use other anxiety symptoms as a cue in figuring out whether other symptoms are due to my anxiety. That is to say, if I am experiencing a new symptom and I don't know if it is anxiety related, I will often see if other anxiety symptoms are present. So for example, I know that the numbing sensations in my face is definitely an anxiety symptom. If I experience a new symptom, lets say abdominal pain, if during the abdominal pain, I am also experiencing the numbing sensations in my face, i.e. the two symptoms are in correlation with each other, this is also another indicator that the abdominal pain is also caused by anxiety.

But understand that I am speaking about my own experience - for everyone else it may be completely different. You may not experience anxiety in this way. I am only using my own example for guidance for you. Sometimes I will feel abdominal pain without numbing sensations and sometimes I may feel the numbing sensations without abdominal pain. It which case I will use my other methods of discerning what is anxiety related and what may be due to an actual physical problem.

To finish, brain tumours often exhibit themselves when the tumour has grown quite large but this also depends on its location. Due to this fact, headaches and tingling sensations may be the only symptoms from a tumour but it is more likely that you will experience other symptoms such as seizures, dizziness, eye/vision problems, cognition problems, problems with movements, hearing problems, etc. depending upon its location. But seizures, dizziness, eye problems, headaches are symptoms of ALL kind of brain tumours (this is because these symptoms are due to intracranial pressure).

I am no doctor though. This information is from what I have learned with reading and hearing out others who have either suffered from brain tumours or have had family members who have suffered. But never take my word. You need to learn your body yourself.

More importantly, don't let the problem worry you too much. This is the most important thing to remember. Even if you was actually suffering from a physical problem, letting your anxiety overcome you is the last thing you would want. We are all here for you to give you advice and help you along the way. But it ultimately lies within your own thoughts. And you can do it. You can beat it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kayleigh

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 04:50:47 PM »
Thank you venomsoar for your lovely and in depth post :)
I just have convinced myself that it is a brain tumour and nothing anyone says seems to get that thought out of my mind as the symptoms just don't seem to be going away. I have noticed though that if I'm worried about something else I don't notice them but it isn't for long, I can't remember if I said but before christmas I had a sickness bug and the whole day I was headache / tingling free as I was too worried about my stomach!
The doctor I am sure just seems to have written me off as crazy now though and seems unwilling to help me, last time all she said was ''try relaxation techniques'' without actually telling me any!
x x x
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything