Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Drinking On Lexapro  (Read 289 times)

Offline WorriedDude22

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Drinking On Lexapro
« on: January 13, 2014, 12:22:38 PM »
Hi all! I'm about to start taking 5mg of Lexapro for anxiety to replace Xanax.  My doctor obviously ran all the side effects by me.  But I was wondering who all drinks while taking the med, and if it's ok to do?  I'm obviously not going to be popping the pill with a shot of vodka or anything, but I like going out with friends for drinks on the weekend.  My doctor said she's been drunk on Lexapro before, but recommends not drinking for the first couple of weeks until the meds kick in.  Any advice?
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Drinking On Lexapro
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 01:04:35 PM »
Hi WD...  Welcome to Anxiety Zone!

To begin with, anti-depressants and alcohol don't mix.  It's recommended that you avoid drinking alcohol while taking a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI), such as Lexapro.  Alcohol can make SSRI's less effective and make side effects more severe. This doesn't merely apply to the initial stages of treatment, but during the process of continued treatment.

Also, your doctor has started you on a sub-therapeutic dose of Lexapro.  This is a wise move, as this often helps to diminish side effects early on in treatment.  At some point your physician will probably wish to increase your dose to at least 10 mg, which is considered the lowest therapeutic dose for Lexapro.

The bottom line here is that in the long run, alcohol makes both anxiety and depression worse, and it also interferes with what anti-depressants are attempting to do.

The very best to you, WD!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 06:20:25 PM »
When I was on Lexapro alone, at either 10 or 5 mg, I could drink a glass of wine or so with no problems.  However I wouldn't do that now that I take 15 mg and also 1 mg of klonapin, I would not mix benzos and alcohol at all.  Also I am talking about a glass of wine, but not serious "drinking", not my thing.  Best to get fully adjusted to the Lexapro and stabilized well before considering drinking anything with alcohol, and if you do, I don't think drinking to get drunk would be advisable--moderation might work.
Bookmark and Share

Offline {BIGGEN}

• Just Joined!
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 03:28:57 PM »
I was on Lexapro for some time and I can tell you one thing about mixing it with alcohol...it will, if your having symptoms, make this much worse than they were. However in saying that...there were times that I drank six or more and I felt pretty good the next day but I did notice in every case that my symptoms were amplified a bit. I recently got off Lexapro because without insurance its to damn expensive and I know alot of people quit taking it because of that reason. My Doc put me on Effexor and I have to say that its just as good or even better in some cases than the Lexapro and its a lot cheaper.   
Bookmark and Share
"FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT AGAINST ANXIETY"

Offline lexie2006

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 07:05:33 PM »
well you have one hell of a doctor to tell you that at least she honest. i drank on lexapro like a beer here and there and I mean it effects people different I got kinda tired and I fely like my head was funny like I could go into a seizure or maybe i was scared of going into one anyhow i drank on lexapro not frequently but im still alive. Proceed with caution.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kissa

• Rec's: 1
  • I don't remember what calm and relaxed is...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 06:19:35 PM »
I too have drank while taking lexapro. However, I did feel worse the next day. Now, I'm lucky if I have 5 drinks a year and they are always at home. Ultimately the choice is up to you, just be aware of what may come as a consequence.
Bookmark and Share
Just because I understand an acknowledge what I am worrying about is silly, doesn't mean I'm able to stop worrying about it.
~One Breath at a Time~

Offline ChimpMelons

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 01:47:50 AM »
Well it is tempting to just want to have alcohol, but I have read internet articles that drinking alcohol while on anti-depressants (if not cause adverse side effects) can simply render the built up anti-depressant medication in your body useless or inhibiting the anti-depressants function.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: