Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Breast cancer fears :-(  (Read 368 times)

Offline Angelofworry

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Breast cancer fears :-(
« on: January 12, 2014, 06:20:42 PM »
1 week ago I found a painful lump in my breast. It's small, 1cm x 1.5cm. It's not hard and it is painful. My doc felt that it was possibly a cyst or infect duct and put me on antibiotics. He said because of my age, I'm 30, and the characteristics of the lump, that cancer is highly unlikely. He gave me some antibiotics and told me not to poke and prod it, and come back in 3 weeks if not better. Well it's only been one week, but it's not better. And now there is a lymph node near it that is painful as well. And now I keep prodding the node AND the lump. Also I have some sore spots on my back that I am afraid of breast cancer metastasis. Should I really wait 2 more weeks or go back to doctor tomorrow? I'm so scared :-( this stupid HA is wrecking my life!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Breast cancer fears :-(
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 06:48:35 PM »
Poking and prodding only make things worse. They will keep a sore spot sore, and a lump from going away. Irritating the lump can cause the lymph node to swell. Unless you have inflammatory breast cancer (which you don't from the symptoms you have provided), a watch and wait approach is highly appropriate. The lup will not go away in three weeks if you continue to mess with it though.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Angelofworry

• Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 06:52:27 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I'm just so anxious about this! Doc said if lump didn't clear up, we would do a breast ultrasound. Well I want that done now! I feel like if we don't do it soon, we are wasting valuable time!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 08:42:14 PM »
Doctors can't just do exams like that without reasonable cause. Your insurance won't pay for it. If after the antibiotics, the lump is still there (after you have stopped touching it), then there will be enough cause to do an ultrasound that the insurance will pay. If the lump grows considerably or becomes extremely painful, i would then be concerned. Cysts are pretty common in breasts. There are many many many benign causes of lumps in breasts.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Allytiel90

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 09:10:28 PM »
You don't have breast cancer. What you have described is not the symptoms. I had much much more reason to suspect breast cancer than you. I had a pea sized, hard, immovable, non-painful lump in the 12 o clock position on my left breast when I was 18-19. And I had it probably almost a year before I got it checked! The doctor felt it, sent me for a breast ultrasound. They also sent me for a mammogram! That was scary.  They both came back inconclusive but they said it didn't look like cancer. I had a followup ultrasound to see if it had changed and it had shrunk away really tiny and I actually couldn't feel it anymore.  My doctor called and said "congrats you don't have cancer because your lump has shrunk" and I'm alive today at 23 :) hehe! Mine was a concerning lump too! Nothing like yours.... They never knew exactly what it was but hey it never came back. And stop the poking! Over Christmas I had some strange swollen nodes on my neck,one of which was pretty hard and immovable. Swore I had lymphoma and they we  going to keep growing bigger. Guess what, the hard one is gone and the squishy one has shrunk down and I can barely feel it. (Also have had many tests lately for my lymphoma fear and my doc says I'm fine)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: