Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Constant Brain Fog. How can I fix it?  (Read 721 times)

Offline ChimpMelons

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Constant Brain Fog. How can I fix it?
« on: January 12, 2014, 01:17:50 AM »
Hi everyone, I have this constant feeling of brain fog that literally occurs 24/7. The symptoms of my brain fog include memory loss, an inability to remain focused or concentrate, poor problem solving skills, lethargy and a feeling of surrealness (which I had gotten used to). Recently I have started to exercise and I know any benefit from running and lifting will take awhile to achieve. I am asking for help because I know that I have to function in life. I am currently a senior in high school and I am taking technical program for welding and metal fabrication. The brain fog is so crippling that it is causing a severe learning disability for me. What makes me pissed off and depressed is that, my teachers, my father and generally everybody think I am being a lazy f*** that doesn't care about anything because of my constant memory loss, lethargy, and my inability to concentrate. I am seeing a psychiatrist specialized in ADD/ADHD and was prescribed Zoloft, but I stopped taking it because it made my symptoms worse. What other medications could I take to help my brain fog and feel more connected to reality?

I have read articles about meditation helping anxiety and cognitive issues such as brain fog, but their isn't just one type of meditation. Their is transcendental meditation, awareness/mindfulness meditation, and concentrative meditations such as exercise. I just really don't know what to do and I cannot get any worse before I cannot function at all. If I cannot function at an optimal capacity which I need for life ahead, then I might as well become a welfare bum because I am a stupid f***.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
Re: Constant Brain Fog. How can I fix it?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 10:43:22 AM »
I would talk to an alternative pharmacist and or physician as they can provide you
with alternative supplements or the like that should help you.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline ChimpMelons

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 03:18:45 PM »
Thanks then, I just need to get better.
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 21
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 04:10:40 PM »
Hi CM...

I'm sorry to hear about what you are going through.  You mentioned that you saw a psychiatrist, which was a good move on your part.  You also mentioned that you were started on Zoloft, but you stopped taking it because it made your symptoms worse.  How long were you on the Zoloft?

Ant-depressants, like Zoloft, do not work like most other medications.  When you take an aspirin for a headache, you expect relief in 30 minutes to an hour.  Antidepressants work by stimulating the growth of new brain cells and the connections between cells in the hippocampas regions of the brain.  This helps to reverse damage caused by the exposure of chronic stress hormones.  One will usually see degrees of improvement between 3 and 12 weeks on a therapeutic dose of an anti-depressant.

Also, when starting an anti-depressant such as Zoloft, which is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI), one will often times have side effects that will make a bad situation seem worse.  This is very normal, because of an increase in serotonin.  Side effects include increased anxiety, insomnia, dizziness, nausea, tremor, skin rash, upset stomach, loss of appetite, headache, diarrhea, dry mouth and weight loss.  Side effects usually last about two weeks, so one just has to tough-it-out, during this time.

I am glad that you chose the forum to discuss your problem.  You are not stupid!  You have a problem, and there is help for it.

The very best to you, CM!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline NODAK1979

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 07:35:59 PM »
Hey there,

I have what you're describing although I think what you're describing often sounds worse than me.  It's been about a year now, and I've adjusted some, but there are days that are truly a challenge for me.  I get so so tired sometimes from it.  It's hard to even think!!  I've tried a lot of things and had a lot of tests.

If you'd like to discuss, shoot me a message....I always am open to talking about this with fellow sufferers.
Bookmark and Share
I'd love to make more friends who deal with anxiety.  My ***** name is chriscontroversial if anybody would like to talk or just connect for support! :)

Offline ChimpMelons

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 11:34:59 PM »
Well it is nice to here that I am not the only one here with debilitating cognitive dysfunction, and MobileChucko your description on how an anti-depressant works is remarkable, if my brain fog could simply be traced to a shrunken hippo campus (which sounds very bad) which is are learning and short term memory center, then a good anti-depressant might as well almost cure my brain fog or make it a hell of a lot more manageable. I do understand that well never be happy in life because well never get what we want, but I shure as hell want to make the best out of life which includes, making my brain fog more manageable so I can succeed in school, and get a decent job in the next couple of years. And Nodak thanks for the sympathy :winking0008:. Brain fog can be a gigantic pain in the arse.
Bookmark and Share

Offline EsotericNonsense

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 07:29:59 PM »
I think I have the same thing and it has gotten better with time. I still don't feel as if I'm as sharp as I was before I started getting anxiety attacks. Meditation and mindfulness do seam to help for me.

I'm not a medical doctor but I can tell you from personal experience that the spacyness caused by anxiety feels distinct from ADHD, although explaining how is a non trivial task. Basically when I have issues with ADHD I would have trouble focusing because there would be a million different thoughts going through my head at the same time, whereas when I have anxiety attacks I can't focus because I have a difficult time forming a coherent thought.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ChimpMelons

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 01:45:18 AM »
EsotericNonsense, exactly I love your definition because I have the same problem with forming a coherent thought process because I basically just forget what I am thinking about when trying to focus or create an idea. I looked up creatine for brain fog, because creatine helps with energy production in muscles. So I wondered what if creatine can help with my brain fog. Apparently the internet say's yes because creatine helps with Adenosine Triphosphate production, the main energy molecule I think is associated with every system in the human body. Though more research would be needed to have a greater understanding of how creatine can help with cognitive dysfunction.
Bookmark and Share

Offline danimal_44

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 10:24:38 PM »
Hey ChimpMelons, I have been having issues with anxiety/depression and an accompanying bowel disorder for the past two years. I would like to share what I think I have learned.

1. Obsessing over the condition (i.e. researching it to an extreme on the internet) is one thing that keeps it going. It feels like your brain gets locked deep down. I did this for the entire first year or so. I felt a lot of relief when I realized that I was obsessing and slowed way down.

2. While it is always good to eat properly and to exercise, I have found it very helpful to find ways to calm your inner self. I have had decent success with Youtube videos on hypnosis, relaxation, and healing energy (I know, it may sound out there, but it really helped).

3. Replace the negative thinking that has hijacked your brain with positive thinking. Develop a few phrases that you can repeat regularly in your mind. Some things I say: "I have anxiety and that is okay. Many people have anxiety. I don't have to fight anxiety, I accept it. I feel it and that is okay. I can be calm. I can relax now, everything will be okay. Relax. Calm. Let it all go." This has probably been the most successful for me.

4. Seek professional help. I read that you already have. I have not yet done so, but I am going to make an appointment tomorrow.

5. I frequently have physical symptoms, but the brain fog is gone at least half the time now, thanks to steps 1-3 above.

I know what you mean about how it sucks that others around you think you are lazy. If you're like me you want nothing more than to get out there and be productive. What we have to do though is to forgive those people and accept that they do not know what it is like to feel the way we do.

Hang in there ChimpMelons.
Bookmark and Share
Stop fighting and start relaxing.

Offline ChimpMelons

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 10:30:38 PM »
Could someone with knowledge on Mindfulness/Awareness/Vipassana meditation give me an example of what it is exactly. I have read numerous articles saying very good things about it and very terrible things if it is not practice correctly. I think of meditation I guess as a means to escape my problems by learning to deal with them, but do I have to approach meditation with a spiritual intent. Meditation is so clouded to me because I honestly do not know what it is used for I guess, because I have read that you can't jump into meditation thinking it will just cure your problems.

-thanks
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 08:26:11 AM »
In my view you need not have a spiritual intent, nor do I pass any judgment on how it is done other than to sit quietly, focus on breathing or anything that you think may help you. A mantra, for example. Wish I could recommend a definitive book. Have a number of books that speak to it or include sections about it. What served me best was to just go ahead and meditate. Keep reading about it.

Believe it requires a leap of faith. I fervently believe in its healing powers that accrue with time, patience, and persistence. Do not pretend to be any authority.
Bookmark and Share

Offline danimal_44

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 10:16:55 AM »
Try the book "Joyful Wisdom: Embracing Change and Finding Freedom," by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche, a Tibetan monk. That guy gives a great explanation of meditation, including how to perform it. As a bonus, he talks about dealing with anxiety throughout his early life and how meditation helped.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ChimpMelons

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 02:07:16 PM »
Thanks for the advice or recommendation. I can't think of the word I would want to use but thanks Danimal_44. I also wanted to ask if anybody had any success with supplements such as Niacin. Currently I have been taking 1,000 Milligrams of Niacin a day, 500 in the morning roughly and 500 in the evening for 2 days now. I have the Niacin that flushes your body red. I heard that Niacin is supposed to help stimulate capillary growth. Plus are bodies need Niacin, for energy production I believe but otherwise I don't know what else it does. I will study it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline danimal_44

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 08:56:05 PM »
I have not taken niacin. I heard that it was good in a documentary once. Forget which one. I think cashews have niacin in them too.

There is a "B-Vitamin Stress Complex" that might help. It has Vitamin C and Zinc in it I think. It's supposed to help with energy production as well. Just Google it to see it.

I feel like there was something else I was going to say but it must have slipped my mind. Peace.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: books meditation