Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Scared heart is going to stop  (Read 189 times)

Offline Jess0617

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Scared heart is going to stop
« on: January 11, 2014, 06:02:07 PM »
I woke up this morning and felt like my heart beat was irregular. All day I've been feelin like my heart is just going to stop beating and it's really scaring me. I'm 19 and have no family history of heart problems. I just have never felt like this. It's not that my heart feels like it's beating fast, it feels like it's beating slower and is just going to stop. My heart rate is 58bpm and goes to 55bpm as well. I wet to the doctor yesterday for a general check up and she said my blood pressure was great and didn't say anything was abnormal about my heart beat but this just started today. I also have not been diagnosed wih anxiety but my mom and sister both have it. Someone please give me advice I'm so worried!  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 19
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared heart is going to stop
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 06:14:30 PM »
One day, I went to check my pulse. I accidentally touched my collar bone, not my vein. I instantly panicked and thought that my heart stopped. Of course, I moved my finger nearly instantly and felt my pulse. Didnt matter. Two years later it still gets me now and then. over literally nothing.

I can tell you exactly whats happening, but I don't know if it'll help.

You get scared, and you check your pulse rate. You see its normal. This makes you calm down, which makes your heart rate drop. But because you're scared of your heart stopping, this triggers massive anxiety, which floods you wiht adrenaline, which causes your heart to beat irregularly and speed up. And then you inevitably check it again, and the entire process repeats itself.

If you stop checking, you won't be afraid. After years of experience, that's the only thing that stops it from escalating. Do not check your heart rate.  You'll just terrify yourself more.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sparkle

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 06:16:21 PM »
Hi Jess0617,

What is your heart rate normally? Do you recall what it was yesterday when you visited your doctor? My heart tends to be all over the place, as I have Mitral Valve Prolapse... I mostly have a high heart beat though, like 90 bpm! I am on a beta blocker, which slows my heart rate down to around 70. How are you feeling? Like, do you feel weak or anything? I'm sure it is nothing to worry about. But perhaps you could call your doctor's office Monday (unless they are open today) and ask them. It also could be anxiety, since it runs in your family.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jess0617

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 06:46:14 PM »
Thanks guys. It literally just started today. If something seemed abnormal do you think the doctor would have said something? I don't feel weak but I sometimes feel dizzy when I get up from laying down. My hands and feet are also a bit tingly. My mom keeps telling me to leave her alone because she thinks it's my anxiety but I'm scared it really isn't.
Bookmark and Share

Online patmob

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 08:16:39 AM »
A difference of 3 beats per minute really is as normal as normal can get.

Your 19 and had a general check-up with your doc the day before this started?  You're fine.  Unless you were doing heavy illegal drugs or drank yourself into a stupor people don't develop heart problems overnight.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: Heart