Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Spooked  (Read 382 times)

Offline math989

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Spooked
« on: January 11, 2014, 04:30:20 PM »
Hello,
So for the past few days i've trying to brush off this fear of schizophrenia, but today was closest resemblance to a hallucination that I have ever had.  Let me elaborate, I was taking a hot and steamy shower after a hours of studying and doing my final summative project for high school. While I was taking a bath a started to see faces on the shower curtains, they were not legit faces but where like dots and lines kind of thing. This happened to me about seven times during the total duration of the shower, which absolutely spooked me out considering i have never experienced that kind of event before. This only happens in my peripheral vision and its usually after shaking my eyes in disbelief or my quick eye movement. They tend to disappear as soon as a look at them. Furthermore, those faces kind of resembled famous figures but that could be my anxiety thinking of the weirdest and worst possible situation. Additionally, the reason why I said that i saw faces instead of dots and lines is probably, after a few minutes of analysis, because i saw this video on this schizophrenic woman who said that she saw faces on the mirrors.  Lastly my shower curtain has letters on it and it was kind of dark so that could be another reason why. 

So what do you guys think; is it just a normal thing that my anxiety is clinging on to or something else because I don't hear voices or experience "real" delusions just thoughts about potentially being delusional.
Thanks, Matt
Bookmark and Share

Offline BrainProblemSituation

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Spooked
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 07:58:51 PM »
I'm no doctor, but I'm willing to bet that you were not hallucinating.  Seeing faces in things is a normal human tendency.  It's definitely creepy.  Since I am obsessive myself, I completely understand why the idea of hallucinations and schizophrenia is terrifying by itself.  But the fact that you jumped to that idea immediately, and didn't for an instant think there were real faces in the shower curtain, is a good sign. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline math989

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 08:36:57 PM »
But the problem is that they are not normally there, if you get what im saying. Furthermore, thanks for the response it helped soothe my anxious mind
Bookmark and Share

Offline littlenicky87

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 03:03:49 AM »
This happened to me for a good week or so. I kept seeing faces in patterns everywhere. Floor tiles with texture, bathroom tiles, knots in the wood of benches, tables. It was the most uncomfortable thing ever. My anxiety was really really high, probably the 2nd highest it ever was. I was scared. It wasn't a hallucination. The patterns are really there, we aren't imagining them - our brain just finds these shapes because it's geared to. It's human to find common things (faces, humanoid shapes, etc) in everyday things.

That coupled with an anxious OCD/GAD mind worried about illnesses that encompass hallucinations and such things, make for our brain to "look" for these things. And the more you pay it attention, the more obvious it becomes - just like any obsession. I no longer get any of the "faces in things" symptom. The few times I've gotten it again was because I was up late at night working, staring at my screen a little too long and tired - at that point we might confuse many things for other things, it's totally normal. That's another factor to consider, those who suffer with anxiety will most likely than not be tired - lack of sleep, a mind in overdrive, etc. When you're tired you see things differently. So don't be scared, this kind of thing is normal. You're fine :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 06:33:24 PM »
Are the curtains plain or is there a pattern on them?
Bookmark and Share

Offline math989

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 06:37:20 PM »
They have patterns on them (Letters)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 06:43:59 PM »
I figured that.
If you have ever watched that show "Brain Games" you would know that the human brain automatically creates "faces" in things. I don't know the reason they gave for that happening but I recall them saying that! 
We had a tub surround that had all blue swirls in it and I used so sing and play guitar toward the tub surround because of the acoustics...  I would always start seeing faces in the swirls as I'd stare at them, one looked "evil" and would creep me out!  LOL!   
It's not anxiety, it's not OCD, you are not schizophrenic, it is a NORMAL phenomenon.  I should find the show and send you the link! Not sure if I could do that on this forum or not - or if your computer would allow the download link.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: