Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Coming to terms with my anxiety  (Read 265 times)

Offline mollymalone

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Coming to terms with my anxiety
« on: January 11, 2014, 08:53:54 AM »
Hi everyone, I feel like I have reached breaking point. I don't know who to talk to so I turned to google and here I am...
I recently started a demanding university course and have been suffering with anxiety quite heavily over the last few months. I have always felt something was wrong with me, from the age of 11 I have been internally criticising myself for not being extrovert enough, for shying away from social situations and my innate fear of public speaking. I now realise this was anxiety all along.
Until the last couple of months my anxiety hasn't expressed itself in a physiological way (apart from sweating sometimes). Now I have insomnia, tension headaches and palpitations. I have been struggling to stay positive all these months, I've felt like a phony all this time smiling and telling people i'm enjoying my course when every night I go home to feel a horrendous thudding and fluttering in my heart, restless nights and endless feelings of dread.
I have always avoided going to the doctor or talking to friends about it because of the stigma attached to mental health; my course is medically related and I feared that it would affect my career. I have now called in sick a couple of times to work and although I am sure I can go out if pushed, I avoid going outside especially busy streets. I am living in a city where I know no-one and therefore do not have much social interaction. I have decided to leave my course and go home in order to try and relieve some of my anxiety. My confidence is in shreds.
I would really appreciate any advice although it does feel a little better to be able to get all of this out in the open.
Bookmark and Share

Online BuzzBee1

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Coming to terms with my anxiety
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 09:16:21 AM »
Hi molly,

Welcome to the forum.  You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made three meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

Molly, it sounds like you are experiencing social anxiety.  There are many here at AZ that also have this, so I'm sure you will find support and comfort here.

Good luck to you , and again, welcome to AZ.

Buzzy
Bookmark and Share

Offline nobody

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Shameless now nameless now nothing now no one now
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 01:27:42 PM »
Hey there, I can totally relate to what you're going through & I believe I can help you since you're not willing to go to doctors, which has been my case for pretty much my whole life as well. There are certain things you can do at home that can greatly reduce, if not vanish your anxiety:

https://socialanxietyinstitute.org/social-anxiety-treatment/audio-therapy/overcoming-social-anxiety

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/hypnotica5

http://www.happinesshypothesis.com/

http://www.lindenmethod.com/

Among other things, these pieces of treatment & literature have helped me immensely in my struggle with anxiety, they do take persistence & patience to do, but if you have the strength to go through with them, you'll be forever thankful to people who made them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollymalone

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 09:35:16 AM »
Thankyou so much, just knowing that other people are going through this too brings me a bit of relief. I'll be sure to check out those resources
Bookmark and Share

Tags: