Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Feeling alone in my anxiety  (Read 209 times)

Offline mta214

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Feeling alone in my anxiety
« on: January 11, 2014, 07:33:48 AM »
First, I'd like to say that I do have friends.  I don't have a lot, but the few I have I've known for many years.  Most, however, simply don't understand anxiety.  One friend does, as she suffers from it also.  But, as I said, most of my friends and family don't understand.

I recently had an abnormal result to a medical test.  I had to go back to repeat the test, which I did yesterday and should have the results next week.  Last night I sent my friend an e-mail about feeling anxious, and she told me to stay calm.  Not easy for someone with GAD to do.  I have been exercising, which helps, along with keeping busy.  However, I need to talk about the anxiety, yet I feel like most people either don't want to hear it or, as I said, don't understand anxiety in general! 

I thought about posting in the "health anxiety" section, and maybe I will.  But I'm concerned that might fuel my anxiety.  To those of you who have posted in that section, do you think it helped or did it make things worse? 

Thanks in advance for any input/feedback!
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Feeling alone in my anxiety
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 10:57:47 AM »
Hi MTA...

I guess that it's really six of one, half a dozen of another.  For me I have found the Anxiety Zone forum to be extremely helpful.  I won't wish this on anyone, but it's nice to know that I'm not alone with my anxiety/panic attacks/depression.  I have even made a few wonderful friendships here on the Zone.  I also feel that knowledge is power, and I have learned a lot about GAD from the members here.  For instance, on the "Medications and Therapy", I have learned how anti-depressants work, actually encouraging the growth of new brain cells.

People here share their experience, hope, strength, and knowledge.  That, I find helpful and empowering.  Still others might find it scary.  I guess it's really an individual thing.

The best to you, MTA!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline JCWest

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: Feeling alone in my anxiety
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 04:05:37 PM »
mta... I know how you feel

I have taken a lot of comfort from this forum, knowing I'm not really alone, neither are you

PM if you want to talk

I would steer clear of the HA section, it can really exacerbate your negative thoughts from my own personal experience
Bookmark and Share

Tags: