Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Just a thought after watching psychological thrillers  (Read 130 times)

Offline burgundyplace

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Just a thought after watching psychological thrillers
« on: January 11, 2014, 04:45:46 AM »
Hi everyone,

Recently, I've been trying to distract myself with some good movies to watch. This week, I got hooked with psychological thrillers. So far, I've watched Shutter Island, Taking Shelter, Gothika, Number 23,  etc.

Well, I know they aren't the best movies to uplift one's mood, but what the heck.  :laugh3:

Anyway, psychological thrillers always involve characters with some psychological issues (duh!) and in the movies that I've watched so far, these issues are usually paranoia, schizophrenia, hallucinations, delusions, etc.

And the movies really do a good job at portraying the experience.

And as I watched how the characters with the psychological issues suffered, I asked myself "Oh wow, how does one indeed go through that difficult experience? I mean, can't he or she tell what is real or not? Oh, come on!"

Then it hit me.

With out current HA fears, I guess I don't have to look too far for the answer.

I am not saying that we are like those people with severe mental issues in the movies nor am I putting down those who are indeed suffering from some form of psychosis, but just the thought of our anxious actions and experiences with our health fears makes me want to locate myself in the larger picture.

Just like what is portrayed in the movies, I guess it all boils down on how irrational our fears are and how the people around us like our family and friends are affected in a number of ways because they worry about us too.

Just a ridiculously random thought.
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Just a thought after watching psychological thrillers
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 05:58:33 AM »
Now let us see can you put what you learned into action. That will show us if you really did learn anything or not. Films can give you answers at times. As can books. You never really know where the answer to your problems will be come from. This just might help you out.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Calamy

• The Golden Eyed Commander of Wishes
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • and Leon's getting larger!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 01:22:35 PM »
I love that type of film as well. I'm a little obsessed with Inception because the whole premise is about the planting of an idea and how an idea can grow and change everything. I think about how we have this idea of sickness and how much it affects us.
Bookmark and Share
"Fear is such a vicious thing; it wraps me up in chains." - Tears for Fears, "The Working Hour"

Offline skyisblue

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 12:37:54 AM »
I agree. I recently read this book by Mark Haddon called "A Spot of Bother'. Well, it hasn't been made to a movie yet and it really isn't a thriller one, but the father dealt with hypochondria. He had a weird growth that turned out to be a benign mole. Of course, he believed it was the big C.

I can't imagine how others are just affected by out thinking.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: