Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Day six without Lexapro  (Read 227 times)

Offline ironwolf

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Day six without Lexapro
« on: January 11, 2014, 03:31:05 AM »
Hello to whoever winds up reading this post..

I am four weeks into treatment for depression/generalized anxiety disorder, on Lexapro. It was going well until I dropped off my prescription at the pharmacy on Monday, and received a call twenty minutes later that my insurance had been terminated. There had been a company-wide error resulting in the cancellation of many people's policies. This mainly affected those who didn't have their accounts on autopay, which apparently a lot of people had switched off because the company was raising their rates as of January 1, and any bill that hadn't been paid yet on the Dec. 27-29 billing cycle was considered delinquent and terminated. Crazy, and sort of beside the point, but it sucks for all of them, myself included, especially because I am now about to hit day six of not having medication. Now, I've read that it takes a few days for withdrawals to even kick in, which I think has finally happened to me since I absolutely couldn't drag myself out of bed this morning, even after getting eight uninterrupted hours of sleep, and was still exhausted all day; constantly yawning, puffy eyes, general haziness, feeling sluggish, and of course feeling bummed out for no reason I could readily point out. Essentially, I feel just like I did before I started treatment.

So, after much ado, what I'd like to know are these things:

1) Have I just completely come off what had built up in my system, and when I resume taking the Lexapro, I'm starting at square one?

2) Is stopping and then starting again after this much time detrimental to my brain chemistry?

3) Is this in any way dangerous, not in reference to worsening depression, but to my physical health?

I haven't totally ruled out the possibility that this is just unfortunate and I'll be fine, but have not been able to get any straight answers, and was hoping maybe someone may have a similar experience or an educated guess to share. Thank you for taking the time to read and for any potential responses.
Bookmark and Share

Online BuzzBee1

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Day six without Lexapro
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 06:49:55 AM »
Hi ironwolf,

Welcome to the forum.  You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made three meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

Iron, I wish I could be of more help to you.  I took Lexapro for 9 months, then tapered off slowly.  I would recommend that you speak to your doctor as soon as possible about coming off the med "cold turkey" as you are doing.  None of us here at AZ are doctors; just anxiety sufferers, such as yourself.   I'm sorry about the whole insurance fiasco, and I hope you can get it resolved soon.

Good luck to you, and again, welcome to AZ.

Buzzy
Bookmark and Share

Offline ironwolf

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 01:33:40 PM »
Thanks, Buzzy, for the warm welcome and the advice. My insurance broker was able to get the pharmacy to give me one week's worth of medication (a little late, frankly, as I said I'm feeling like I'm back where I started), of course at full price, but it is something nonetheless. Today I've had a bit of subjective vertigo, which I'm assuming is from the withdrawals. 

Here's hoping restarting goes fine. Thank you again for your response.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 04:21:12 PM »
Now, I've read that it takes a few days for withdrawals to even kick in,

I would have expected any withdrawal effects to begin within 2-3 days, however, given the short time you've been on Lexapro they should be fairly mild.

Essentially, I feel just like I did before I started treatment.

I think your symptoms have more to do with a loss of effectiveness than withdrawal.

1) Have I just completely come off what had built up in my system, and when I resume taking the Lexapro, I'm starting at square one?

At square one, no, but you will have lost ground though how much is impossible to quantify. My guess is that it will take 7-10 days to get back to where you were.

2) Is stopping and then starting again after this much time detrimental to my brain chemistry?

It isn't ideal, but it won't have done any long term damage.

3) Is this in any way dangerous, not in reference to worsening depression, but to my physical health?

No.

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline ironwolf

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 06:26:23 AM »
Thank you for all of your responses. These are the best I've gotten so far. I'm also on Vyvanse for ADD, and have restarted my regiments today, and so far I feel ok. I'm a little overly emotional, but I'm sure this will pass.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: lexapro missed dose