Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Seniors with health anxiety  (Read 191 times)

Offline rileybug

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Seniors with health anxiety
« on: January 10, 2014, 08:28:12 PM »
Anyone over 60 with HA?  Everone seems to be so young.  Just would like to hear from older people  and their experienes-unless i'm the only one.  When you get to 60 you're fair game for almost any health ailment.
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Seniors with health anxiety
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 08:53:30 PM »
Hi! Im 35 but you are not alone... I work in healthcare and almost every senior these days are on some type antidepressant. Actually, practically everyone is on something, really, doesn't matter who they are, nurses, doctors, teachers, judges, everyone.... is on something. Frequent causes of depression amongst patients that I see in the elderly patient: depression after retirement and not being able to work, financial stresses, health stresses of having to get stuff done and the elderly get stress about who in the family will help them (they don't want to be a burden), life adjustments after a spouse dies, the kids move away, or having to sell their own home and move into assisted living or moving in family members... stress of not being able to do what they once were capable of doing for themselves... stuff like that. I kind of think that maybe it is actually a good thing to go through the motions and not be numbed out by medication. It's part of life. But I also think it is important to stay as active as possible and keeping the mind active, too. Getting involved in the local church or community functions is helpful if possible, or taking classes at your local Y, or gym. So I hope you from others, too :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline burgundyplace

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Seniors with health anxiety
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 04:29:23 AM »
Hi riley,

I am sorry you are going through this.

Actually I also noticed that most of us here in the boards are quite young. I guess this is because the younger ones are the ones who are exposed and fond of the Internet. And with the Internet, you have Dr Google to drive your HA!

But as what livelaughlove, mentioned, there are a lot of older people who are going through something with anxiety issues. I am sure there are older people with HA, it's just that they are not here in the boards. Probably because they are not that interested in these online platforms? Just a wild guess though.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: