Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: hello , new to the forum  (Read 120 times)

Offline somaj

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
hello , new to the forum
« on: January 10, 2014, 11:22:06 AM »
hello,
my name is A.J. , i am 35 and have been suffering from what i believe to be GAD for about a year. Back in Feb 2013, i had what i believe to be a severe panic attack which i ended up going to the hospital for as i had no idea what else to do. my doctor did some blood tests and ekg and decided it was a panic attack. she prescribed me some xanax which i briefly took that night. the main problem is, i have never felt normal since that day. i have not had what i would call a severe panic attack again, but i never feel relaxed and i have what i feel are strange physical  issues that are difficult to explain. i thought i would lay them out and see what everyone thinks.

basically as soon as i wake up, i feel like my hands and feet are a bit tingly as i start to think about going to work and how bad my anxiety will be. it is  worth noting, it is not my job i am nervous about, but how my anxiety will affect my work.  my limbs will sometime feel light and almost numb.....not a physical numbness, i can still feel and what not, more of a mental numbness (if that  makes sense). i have a constant intense feeling through out my body all day long i feel it mainly in my head. i feel a bit spacey at times, like everything around me is happening too fast or i am looking at everything from a distance. i have a constant low ringing in my ears which gets louder as my anxiety increases. sometimes the issues are at there worst when i am in a quiet environment. being a software designer i am constantly in a quiet environment at work. when i can keep myself physically busy, the issues are not so pronounced , but they are still there. i do  not feel anxious about going anywhere or talking to people and i can pretty much act normal whwn around people, but i am constantly feeling the above all the time.
v
i have had no severe trauma to bring this on...it seems to have just happened for no reason at all. the only thing i worry about intensively are the physical manifestations of  what i believe to be anxiety. my doctor also prescribed me celexa which tried to take a few times  but could get past 2 doses. i tried breaking them down to 5mg but still did not like the effects after only 2 doses.

i also tried therapy , but after a few weeks i stopped, as it was expensive i felt it was going nowhere.

so what do you all think. i would love to hear opinions on my symptoms and what course of action i should take. should i try another antidepressant? should i just keep on trying to beat it on my own? I do have an appointment with a new doctor next week and would like to go in armed with some experienced knowledge from people going through the same.

well that's it i think.
Bookmark and Share

Online BuzzBee1

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: hello , new to the forum
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 11:42:36 AM »
Hello AJ

Welcome to the forum.  You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made three meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

AJ, anxiety can cause many, many symptoms.  I'm sure you'll find help and support here at AZ.  One thing I would like to tell you is that it takes a bit for your body to adjust to AD meds.  It took me four full weeks to adjust to Lexapro.  The side affects were brutal....nausea, couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, etc.  I almost quit taking it, but a friend begged me to continue.  I am SO glad I did.  Once my body adjusted, it helped me tremendously.  In fact, I can actually say that Lexapro saved my life.   After 9 months I was able to wean off, and am now med free.  So, don't give up on your meds,, until you've had a chance to adjust.

Good luck to you, and again, welcome to AZ.

Buzzy
Bookmark and Share

Offline marpizza

• Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • Binding Infinity in a Nutshell
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 12:55:13 PM »
Hi AJ,

I know exactly what you're feeling. I felt the same way after my first panic attack. I just didn't feel right. I would get nervous thinking about going anywhere and just wanted to stay in my house. My right arm would go numb. The first doctor I saw gave me a low dose of Valium to calm be down which helped but I wasn't attacking the root of my problem, the real reason I had anxiety. I have a phobia of throwing up, which freaks me out A LOT. But it seems like after I was told I had anxiety and panic attacks, I started worrying about THAT.

I tried feeling better on my own, I read books and did breathing exercises. It helped for a while but it got really bad in December last year. I just didn't want to continue feeling sick all the time. I went to a Psychologist and she recommended I go on anti depressants. I am taking Lexapro right now and yeah, it makes me feel weird and tired and it gives me headaches. But, after joining this forum and reading about other people like BuzzBee, I decided that I wasn't going to stop taking the meds even though I want to quit every single day. I just think about how awful I felt in December and I realized that these side affects are nothing compared to the sadness and hopelessness I felt back then. I've only been on my meds for 8 days. I've read that it can take from 2-4 weeks for your body to adjust.

I am able to go to work and not freak out by being there, which is nice! Although I hate my job and I need a new one ASAP. Just know that the physical stuff you are feeling is mostly directly from the anxiety you are feeling. I would recommend reading up on anxiety and stress and how it affects your body because it can manifest in crazy ways! For me, it gave me stomach aches a lot, which didn't help with my phobia of throwing up, which didn't help my anxiety. The important thing to remember is to not give up on yourself! Stay positive and MOST important of all, recovery takes TIME. Results will not be instantaneous. I know that's hard to come to terms with, but it's true. I hope you start feeling better soon  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
"It feels like I'm raining and three apples are my stomach"

Offline somaj

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 08:14:46 PM »
Thanks for the welcome....I have been reading through the forum. Its comforting to know people are going through the same issues. Reading how others deal with it is helpful.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: