Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Blood pressure :-/  (Read 233 times)

Offline Betty1979

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Blood pressure :-/
« on: January 09, 2014, 01:09:16 PM »
Had my docs appointment today to discuss further option like cbt. I mentioned to her that I could often hear my heart beat when relaxing whether in my head chest or ears. She said that is all perfectly normal. Listen to my heart and all ok. I asked her to check my Bp and the lowest reading she got was 142/100!!! She said she wasn't concerned at this stage and suggested I buy a monitor to use at home and check it when relaxed. Which I did and all my readings are within the normal Bp range at home. Is this because I'm more relaxed at home or because home blood pressure monitors give false readings? Stressing.....:-(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Vasallus

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Blood pressure :-/
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 01:21:39 PM »
This is commonly called "White Coat Syndrome" in which being around doctors, medical equipment, etc. can make us feel uneasy and nervous about getting a bad diagnosis or something happening. My BP and pulse is always elevated even when I'm getting a normal checkup. You have nothing to worry about. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline kscott0723

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 02:34:40 PM »
You are fine! BP contributes to my health anxiety but the more I get it checked and monitor it, the better I feel. The doctor's office is usually higher for me (never lower) because I guess I am nervous that they will give me some bad news! Here are some tips for taking BP:

1. Do not eat or drink 30 minutes before hand
2. Do not do any type of exercise before hand
3. Make sure the cuff fits (this is important) and when you take your BP, make your the cuff is around your skin, not a shirt sleeve.
4. Do not talk to the doctor or anybody while the reading is taking place.
5. Be aware of any medicine or other substances (like caffeine) you may have had that day. This may affect your reading.
6. I try listening to some music before it gets taken and while its getting taken. It distracts me and I think worry as much!

I hope this helps. Good luck! Remember, you are fine!
Bookmark and Share

Online wegngis

• Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 04:57:44 PM »
Hi Betty.  One thing to keep in mind that a single reading does not mean high blood pressure, it just means it was high when it was taken.  To really diagnose it as "high blood pressure" you need to take it over a period of time, in a variety of situations.  Then they look at the average.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 06:58:39 PM »
Also, remember to make sure your feet are NOT crossed when you take you BP.  Don't remember why but Dr. said it causes screwy readings to occur.  Feet uncrossed and flat on the ground
Bookmark and Share

Offline burgundyplace

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 05:55:43 AM »
Whoa my BP has always been a scary thing for me too!

I am really uneasy when my BP is being taken. It usually ranges from 130 - 150 and I am only 23 years old!

The last 2 readings went down to 120 according to a family doctor. I know it isn't really the best value, but it somehow relieved me that it went down!
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 09:28:57 AM »
It is quite common for some individuals blood pressure to rise as a reaction when at the doctors office.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Online wegngis

• Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 12:59:32 PM »
The last 2 readings went down to 120 according to a family doctor. I know it isn't really the best value, but it somehow relieved me that it went down!

120 is considered ideal for the top number.  Really and truly.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Tags: