Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Really scared - Colon/bowel cancer? How would I know if I had it?  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Really scared - Colon/bowel cancer? How would I know if I had it?
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 05:22:30 PM »
Well, I haven't overcome the managing it. After I initially had the colonoscopy and results, I was better. Until I got my letter for a follow up. Now I am all freaked out about cancer again. I eat much healthier than I did before. Most of my meat is fresh. Deer, chicken. For me, I knew something was wrong the first time. I had to schedule my own GI appt because my GP said I had hemorrhoids.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Air Nomad

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 09:20:44 AM »
Sorry to revive this thread, but I'm really so scared.  I can't seem to talk myself down from this fear, and I guess in large part because I don't know how I'd know if I had colon cancer.  I had very loose stool again this morning, bordering on diarrhea.  I have loose or very soft stool like this every morning, just once.  I tried drinking decaf coffee instead of regular this morning to see if that would help but it didn't (I know the caffeine in coffee makes me go).  I'm so worried :(

It doesn't seem to matter what I eat.  The other night I ate a huge burger and fries at Red Robin and still had super soft stool the morning after.  :(
Bookmark and Share
Sokka: "Do you want me to be like you or be totally honest?"
Katara: "Are you saying I'm a liar?"
Sokka: "No, I'm saying you're an optimist. Same thing really."
(This is me and my husband to a tee)

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 10:45:52 AM »
Is this a change from normal. A sudden change in stools that stays is worth investigating. I would not assume colon cancer just from that though. It can be IBS. I would talk to your doctor for sure. You do have a cancer past. Did you have genetic testing done when you had your breast cancer?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Air Nomad

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 11:54:00 AM »
Is this a change from normal. A sudden change in stools that stays is worth investigating. I would not assume colon cancer just from that though. It can be IBS. I would talk to your doctor for sure. You do have a cancer past. Did you have genetic testing done when you had your breast cancer?

It started about 5 years ago, when I started drinking coffee again after a long hiatus.  At first it just made me go in the morning (normal bowel movements).  Eventually my stools became softer and softer.  Now they are very soft or loose most of the time.  Once in a while I have a "normal" (my used-to-be normal) bowel movement.  The color is always normal - medium brown (of course depending on what I eat).

I did have genetic testing done and all tests were negative.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 12:05:51 PM »
If your stools started to change 5 years ago, then it can't have any connection with colon cancer because you would get much worse by now, so in that regards you are fine.

I've heard of breast cancer at your age, but colon cancer at your age is just very unlikely, and to get 2 different cancers by the age of 29...I think it's just theoretically possible.

Finally, only way to 100% convince yourself is to do colonoscopy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 79
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 12:11:57 PM »
I have had a total of I believe 6 colonoscopys, but I may have lost count. ( I am 57)
The first few were because I had some red in my stool, but it turned out to be nothing.
My GI physician told me that the shape does not really matter, but the quantity is more
important. He said that consistent bleeding, whether red or tarry black, or consistent
diarrhea, should be investigated. My GI physician must do hundreds of EGD's and
colonoscopy's a year as besides being a partner in a practice he is also the head of the
GI department at a large regional medical center. I can understand your concern however,
as you had cancer once. I think I would discuss any concerns you have with your physician.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Air Nomad

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 01:53:25 PM »
If your stools started to change 5 years ago, then it can't have any connection with colon cancer because you would get much worse by now, so in that regards you are fine.

I've heard of breast cancer at your age, but colon cancer at your age is just very unlikely, and to get 2 different cancers by the age of 29...I think it's just theoretically possible.

Finally, only way to 100% convince yourself is to do colonoscopy.

Thank you, Hypo.  I appreciate the reassurance.

I have had a total of I believe 6 colonoscopys, but I may have lost count. ( I am 57)
The first few were because I had some red in my stool, but it turned out to be nothing.
My GI physician told me that the shape does not really matter, but the quantity is more
important. He said that consistent bleeding, whether red or tarry black, or consistent
diarrhea, should be investigated. My GI physician must do hundreds of EGD's and
colonoscopy's a year as besides being a partner in a practice he is also the head of the
GI department at a large regional medical center. I can understand your concern however,
as you had cancer once. I think I would discuss any concerns you have with your physician.

Thanks, Marc.  Just to clarify, are you saying that in your opinion you wouldn't be concerned or that you would be?  I wasn't sure if I was reading it correctly.  And what do you mean by "quantity is important"?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 02:15:32 PM »
What Marc means is that you need to have a good bowel movement. Not just a little bit of poop. Does the amount you poop equal what you put in. For example, you eat a huge breakfast, huge lunch, huge dinner, you should poop a lot. If you only eat tiny amounts twice a day your poop won't be as much.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ceh1354

• Rec's: 13
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 02:34:23 PM »
Just going to be straight with my opinion and you can take it how you will. Ask to get a colonoscopy. Not because I think you have it, because I was in the same situation as you. I mean, either borderline diarrhea or soft stool every single day for months. After a few months, I went the the Dr and she wasn't concerned based on my symptoms (no blood). So I went on antidepressants. That was good for about 9 months, and I decided to go off of them (cause they also gave me diarrhea, go figure) but the meds numbed the fear and pushed them more to the back of my mind. And as soon as I went off of them, bam, fear came back just as bad. Same symptoms with the poo. So finally had the test just to assuage me. It was clear.

One other thing, it will make the HA coping a bit easier. It did for me. I still have HA and still fight it. But I went thorough one test, I was fine after I had though I was surely dying. So in your mind there's more of a chance you'll be fine again once your next "illness" comes along. Make sense?

Good luck in whatever your choice is.
Bookmark and Share
Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devilís schemes. Ephesians 6:11

Offline Air Nomad

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 07:34:24 PM »
Thank you once again, everyone.  All of your responses have really helped me get a grip today and it means so much to me that you all took the time to talk me down and give me your honest opinions and experiences.  This community is full of so many wonderful people and I hope I can pay it forward to others.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: