Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Really scared - Colon/bowel cancer? How would I know if I had it?  (Read 1137 times)

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
Re: Really scared - Colon/bowel cancer? How would I know if I had it?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 12:11:57 PM »
I have had a total of I believe 6 colonoscopys, but I may have lost count. ( I am 57)
The first few were because I had some red in my stool, but it turned out to be nothing.
My GI physician told me that the shape does not really matter, but the quantity is more
important. He said that consistent bleeding, whether red or tarry black, or consistent
diarrhea, should be investigated. My GI physician must do hundreds of EGD's and
colonoscopy's a year as besides being a partner in a practice he is also the head of the
GI department at a large regional medical center. I can understand your concern however,
as you had cancer once. I think I would discuss any concerns you have with your physician.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Air Nomad

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 01:53:25 PM »
If your stools started to change 5 years ago, then it can't have any connection with colon cancer because you would get much worse by now, so in that regards you are fine.

I've heard of breast cancer at your age, but colon cancer at your age is just very unlikely, and to get 2 different cancers by the age of 29...I think it's just theoretically possible.

Finally, only way to 100% convince yourself is to do colonoscopy.

Thank you, Hypo.  I appreciate the reassurance.

I have had a total of I believe 6 colonoscopys, but I may have lost count. ( I am 57)
The first few were because I had some red in my stool, but it turned out to be nothing.
My GI physician told me that the shape does not really matter, but the quantity is more
important. He said that consistent bleeding, whether red or tarry black, or consistent
diarrhea, should be investigated. My GI physician must do hundreds of EGD's and
colonoscopy's a year as besides being a partner in a practice he is also the head of the
GI department at a large regional medical center. I can understand your concern however,
as you had cancer once. I think I would discuss any concerns you have with your physician.

Thanks, Marc.  Just to clarify, are you saying that in your opinion you wouldn't be concerned or that you would be?  I wasn't sure if I was reading it correctly.  And what do you mean by "quantity is important"?
Bookmark and Share
Sokka: "Do you want me to be like you or be totally honest?"
Katara: "Are you saying I'm a liar?"
Sokka: "No, I'm saying you're an optimist. Same thing really."
(This is me and my husband to a tee)

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 02:15:32 PM »
What Marc means is that you need to have a good bowel movement. Not just a little bit of poop. Does the amount you poop equal what you put in. For example, you eat a huge breakfast, huge lunch, huge dinner, you should poop a lot. If you only eat tiny amounts twice a day your poop won't be as much.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ceh1354

• Rec's: 13
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 02:34:23 PM »
Just going to be straight with my opinion and you can take it how you will. Ask to get a colonoscopy. Not because I think you have it, because I was in the same situation as you. I mean, either borderline diarrhea or soft stool every single day for months. After a few months, I went the the Dr and she wasn't concerned based on my symptoms (no blood). So I went on antidepressants. That was good for about 9 months, and I decided to go off of them (cause they also gave me diarrhea, go figure) but the meds numbed the fear and pushed them more to the back of my mind. And as soon as I went off of them, bam, fear came back just as bad. Same symptoms with the poo. So finally had the test just to assuage me. It was clear.

One other thing, it will make the HA coping a bit easier. It did for me. I still have HA and still fight it. But I went thorough one test, I was fine after I had though I was surely dying. So in your mind there's more of a chance you'll be fine again once your next "illness" comes along. Make sense?

Good luck in whatever your choice is.
Bookmark and Share
Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devilís schemes. Ephesians 6:11

Offline Air Nomad

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 07:34:24 PM »
Thank you once again, everyone.  All of your responses have really helped me get a grip today and it means so much to me that you all took the time to talk me down and give me your honest opinions and experiences.  This community is full of so many wonderful people and I hope I can pay it forward to others.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 08:37:34 PM »
I wouldn't worry about colon cancer but see a gastro doc because it sounds like IBS. I have it and coffee and sometimes tea cause cramps and watery stools.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 09:09:17 PM »
I am a 26 year old female and I have been fearing colon cancer for one year now. It all started last feb when I happened to glance down into the toilet after a bm and saw bright red blood almost like bright red threads running through a large stool. I have had 4 children all born with in 5.5 years and I am 99% sure I have hemorrhoids! I have had bright red bleeding off and one for one year but very small amount, always bright red, and usually with hard or lumpy stool which I almost always have howver coffee keeps me very regular. I have a comfortable BM every morning a few minutes after sipping my coffee or hot tea. I am embarrassed to say but I'm completely obsessed with my stools. My anxiety is so bad that I have mini panic attacks while having a bm. My heart races, I shake and I'm terrified Imighy see blood. I do not have any other symptoms. Only GI related symptom is heartburn about once a month. I know how dinilitaing it is thinking you have a CC. I finally made my self an appt with a GI on jan 22. I am hoping she can do a quick anoscopy to check for interal hemorrhoids. I am almost certain I have them but would like comformation. I have spent hours and hours on google looking at CC soroms an and loose stool is not a cause for alarm itself. Some people have a loser stool and the Bristol stool chart actually says soft fluffy stool is "normal" one soft BM in the morning sounds like nothing alarming.

Sorry for typos I'm posting from my iPhone.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ceh1354

Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 09:27:27 PM »
Lindsay- you are absolutely right about the stool thing!
I think the thing that most of us do is select the one symptom that they have and concentrate on that only. It really gets out of control when you're on an anxiety kick.

Air- I'm positive you'll be fine. Keep everyone posted! :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devilís schemes. Ephesians 6:11

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 03:43:51 PM »
I am a 26 year old female and I have been fearing colon cancer for one year now. It all started last feb when I happened to glance down into the toilet after a bm and saw bright red blood almost like bright red threads running through a large stool. I have had 4 children all born with in 5.5 years and I am 99% sure I have hemorrhoids! I have had bright red bleeding off and one for one year but very small amount, always bright red, and usually with hard or lumpy stool which I almost always have howver coffee keeps me very regular. I have a comfortable BM every morning a few minutes after sipping my coffee or hot tea. I am embarrassed to say but I'm completely obsessed with my stools. My anxiety is so bad that I have mini panic attacks while having a bm. My heart races, I shake and I'm terrified Imighy see blood. I do not have any other symptoms. Only GI related symptom is heartburn about once a month. I know how dinilitaing it is thinking you have a CC. I finally made my self an appt with a GI on jan 22. I am hoping she can do a quick anoscopy to check for interal hemorrhoids. I am almost certain I have them but would like comformation. I have spent hours and hours on google looking at CC soroms an and loose stool is not a cause for alarm itself. Some people have a loser stool and the Bristol stool chart actually says soft fluffy stool is "normal" one soft BM in the morning sounds like nothing alarming.

Sorry for typos I'm posting from my iPhone.

I have panic attacks too whenever I go to the bathroom. I am terrified to see blood. Only because I had a polyp removed just last year and I am afraid i have colon cancer already.

I agree with Ceh. We tend to focus on a syptom and exaggerate.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Air Nomad

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 07:26:37 PM »
Yes so true, all of you.

Well, I feel like a complete fool right now but I want to be honest and update this post in case it helps anyone.  I held off on my morning coffee today because I was thirsty and really felt like drinking water.  I still had the urge to go this morning at oddly enough the exact same time I go after drinking coffee, but this time it was a COMPLETELY NORMAL bowel movement.  I'm assuming simply because I skipped my coffee -_-  I haven't had such a normal BM in... I don't know how long, but then I drink coffee every morning too.  Uh, wow...  I had coffee later in the morning and nothing happened.  I was totally fine.  So it LOOKS like I'm just super regular in the morning but the coffee just kinda makes it shoot out of me, lol sorry for that mental picture.

If anything changes under the same circumstances I'll post again, but I thought this might help curb someone's anxiety if they're going through the same thing.  I feel silly but relieved.  And it just goes to show how our anxiety can make HUGE MOUNTAINS out of teeny tiny mole hills.  Geeze Louise.  Thanks everyone for helping me get a grip.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ceh1354

Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 07:53:08 PM »
YEP!!!  :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: