Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Pain in upper left back, tell me its not a heart attack!  (Read 221 times)

Offline kscott0723

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Pain in upper left back, tell me its not a heart attack!
« on: January 09, 2014, 08:48:15 AM »
Hello all. Recently (yesterday) i have been experiencing pain in my upper left back under the shoulder blade. It is dull and seemed to go away last night after I relaxed but came back this morning. I was wondering, what exactly does heart pain and heart attacks feel like? I'm 22, male, overweight. I got an EKG in December (normal), blood work in Dec (all normal) and BP is fine. I feel like my HA started because my mom had really high blood pressure and takes meds for it and said she got it by eating poorly. Well, I also eat poorly and have gained some weight and it really (I guess) has started to stress me out that I didn't listen to her. Also, when you google symptoms of a heart attack (never again haha), it says it can be gradual and you might not feel chest pain but in fact back pain. Help!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ineedtosmile

• Some Weirdo that needs to smile.
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • An experienced hypochondriac...
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pain in upper left back, tell me its not a heart attack!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 09:18:03 AM »
I dont think it is a heart attack, you would probably have more symptoms than that...
Bookmark and Share
Personal note no.23 - Think of some funny caption to put in here

Offline kscott0723

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 09:35:24 AM »
Thanks for the reassurance. I was wondering, what exactly does heart pain feel like? I've seen some posters on other threads say not a lot of people know exactly what heart pain is vs other pain.
Bookmark and Share

Offline EverydaySunshine

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 09:40:55 AM »
It sounds like you are transmitting the known health issues of your mother on to your own percieved health issues (as you said, your health records look fine).  Before you completely freak out, take a a few minutes to slow down and breathe, then take a quick inventory - any exercise, work around the house, activity (of any kind) that could cause this pain?  Did you sleep with your arm in a weird position?  Have you ever had a pain like this before?  If nothing seems to still make sense, call your primary care doctor and let them know what is going on.

Id be willing to be a nice steak dinner that its nothing having to do with your heart.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ineedtosmile

• Some Weirdo that needs to smile.
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • An experienced hypochondriac...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 11:52:26 AM »
In heart attack you would have pain in your arm and usually in chest too... and you would be short of breath, probably dizzy...
Bookmark and Share
Personal note no.23 - Think of some funny caption to put in here

Offline Natsab87

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 12:32:12 PM »
I work for a cardiologist and type clinic letters daily. I've never heard of a heart attack being as simple as back pain. It's more likely to be a pulled muscle or trapped nerve. With a heart attack or heart issues you normally have a heavy crushing feeling in your chest, shortness of breath and flutters, palps etc. Sounds to me like you're just fine!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: