Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: What caused your health anxiety ?  (Read 651 times)

Offline psychopika

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • I am stronger alone
    • Poke This Member
Re: What caused your health anxiety ?
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 08:31:34 AM »
I was raised by a hypochondriac mother who smothered me and went nuts over each and every sneeze I had. Once she thought I had leukemia and started crying in front of me, then she thought I had meningitis, etc. Later when she was 52, she developed breast cancer and ignored her symptoms, didn't tell anyone anything, when she finally did she put off the surgery until her cancer metastasized... and then died in a horrible way because the cancer got to her brain.

No wonder I'm a hypochondriac.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Vasallus

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 09:44:00 AM »
I got severely dehydrated one night and had a panic attack. It was my body's way of telling me "Hey. Put down the Mountain Dew and cigarettes." Roommate took me to the ER. Scariest night of my life because if. Let like any second I would die and thought about telling him to pull over so I could just lay down and die. Ever since then I have had Health anxiety.

A lot of people think they are dying but deep down don't really believe it. That night I was 100% sure I was dying and it was the most terrifying horrible feeling in the world.
Bookmark and Share

Offline BrightPhoenix

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 10:25:04 AM »
It happened 10 years ago when my mom got sick, and eventually passed away from a dormant hepatitis B infection we didn't know about until it became active and started attacking her liver.  Whil caring for her I myself started having aches and pains and started having worries about getting sick from hep B since I wasn't fully vaccinated and taking care of my mom.

I had panic attacks and anxiety attacks from all the stress of my family situation at that time, and ever since then it has been a mental battle with hypochondria because I now live under a fear of "if we don't catch it early it'll get really bad" - even though the things I'm worried about are mostly smaller health issues.  Something every 4-12 months becomes the issue of the season and I spend a lot of time convincing myself it's bad before I realize it probably will pass.

But yeah, it's tough when you keep thinking there's a bogeyman there and you're trying to convince yourself there isn't - when we were kids it was monsters in the closet.  Now, it's health anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Air Nomad

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 03:31:25 PM »
Wow, I never thought of it that way but you are absolutely 100% right!  It is an addiction and I do at times feel like an addict.  My health anxiety is debilitating and I feel like I need just one more "hit" of the reassurance drug and then I'll be fine... until the next time.  Maybe thinking of it that way will be helpful to some people in overcoming it, since it makes it a little more tangible so to speak.  Thanks for sharing this!
Bookmark and Share
Sokka: "Do you want me to be like you or be totally honest?"
Katara: "Are you saying I'm a liar?"
Sokka: "No, I'm saying you're an optimist. Same thing really."
(This is me and my husband to a tee)

Tags:

anything