Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Another worrier of Sporadic Fatal Insomnia...what do you guys think?!  (Read 680 times)

Offline sctt033

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
December 30th, everything was fine, but I got a call from my job that really angered me about taking time off, i was so mad I was even short of breath on the phone, I never let anything bother me, I didnt even go to bed with it on my head, but that night I could not fall asleep at all, so I thought it was just a phase, the next day same thing could not fall asleep AT ALL, the next day I took a muscle relaxer and slept for two hours in the  afternoon...that night I went to bed just fine, slept for what I think was anywhere from 6-8 hours, day after that I could not sleep at all until I took zzzquil which put me to sleep for only 4 hours, since then I only sleep any where from 2-4 hours or none at all, for instance yesterday I did not sleep at all..

Today I tried another sleep aide, I slept for an hour, woke up than slept for another hour, though the first hour I dont remember dreaming, second hour I did dream. Do people with SFI even have normal dreams?

Other side effects I have diarrea, I went to the hospital this morning and my blood pressure and heart rate were normal, though when I try to fall asleep it feels like my heart is racing though even before this I did kinda suffer from palpatation. on the 1st of january stupid me I browsed the phone for sleep disorders and the one I saw was sporadic fatal insomnia... since then its all I think about, even when I try to sleep, I worry I am not sleeping because of this disease....though I keep the tv on to something boring to try to tune out my thoughts, even that sometimes doesnt help...  I got a CT scan today and blood work done today everything came back normal... I am also 28 too, it would make me the only 20 year old who caught the disease which means I would probably have better odds winning the powerball 3 x in a row and getting struck by lightning...

I see my GP on the 10th, but what do you guys think, SFI or Anxiety?
Bookmark and Share

Offline aardvark

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Another worrier of Sporadic Fatal Insomnia...what do you guys think?!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 07:13:32 AM »
SFI is a physical rather than psychological cause of insomnia (or more accurately, a fatal degenerative neurological disease manifesting through a number of symptoms, one of which is severe insomnia). Your insomnia is clearly psychological, initiated by your anger over your work situation. Are you able to change employers or failing that adjust your attitude to your work so you feel less frustrated? At the moment, you're treating the results, rather than the cause, of your insomnia.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sctt033

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 11:06:19 AM »
SFI is a physical rather than psychological cause of insomnia (or more accurately, a fatal degenerative neurological disease manifesting through a number of symptoms, one of which is severe insomnia). Your insomnia is clearly psychological, initiated by your anger over your work situation. Are you able to change employers or failing that adjust your attitude to your work so you feel less frustrated? At the moment, you're treating the results, rather than the cause, of your insomnia.

Thats true, I am thinking its psychological too but I have always dealt easy with stress, thats the first time thats ever happened to me and its scary as hell, last night I slept from around 12:30 to 5 am then I woke up after I woke up I slept from 5:15 to 7:45...

When I slept I dont remember dreaming meaning I could have hit all the dream stages including NREM then from 5:15 to 7:45 I remember having a vivid dream.

I guess if I had SFI I wouldnt be sleeping at all?
Bookmark and Share

Offline aardvark

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 12:08:08 PM »
SFI progresses over a number of months to complete or near-complete insomnia. You slept for seven hours last night, which doesn't really qualify as insomnia at all.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sctt033

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 12:32:27 PM »
SFI progresses over a number of months to complete or near-complete insomnia. You slept for seven hours last night, which doesn't really qualify as insomnia at all.

Thanks a lot friend ...One last question I did take a sleeping pill unison at 130 that day I fell asleep on the couch for about two hours later that day I ate really heavy would the sleeping pills still have worked 1230 am when I went to bed or did I sleep on my own you think?
Bookmark and Share

Offline aardvark

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 03:46:03 PM »
I've never tried sleeping pills, so couldn't comment, but I can't see them having a half-life of nearly 24 hours. Nobody would be able to get up the following morning if the effects lasted that long.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: