Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Rabies fear  (Read 182 times)

Offline astroturf

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Rabies fear
« on: January 08, 2014, 05:16:29 PM »
Has anyone with the rabies/bat exposure fear ever NOT gotten the vaccinations and suffered through the uncertainty? Does the anxiety ever lessen?

I never saw a bat in my house and 4 people have searched our attic for evidence of them. Nothing. Plus, it's winter so we don't have windows and doors open. None could fly in.

But I had this weird 3-hole puncture/bite on my stomach last week and I can't get the idea of bats out of my mind.

Wouldn't a bite wake me up? Would t a bat in the room wake my bird dog up? Could the bat really escape again unnoticed?

I'm afraid I won't be able to let this one go. Advice? (Please don't say to just get the shots. I'd rather work through my anxiety than jump to the shots just for relief. My primary doctor and two ER docs said I don't need the shots. But everyone always follows that up with, "of course we can't tell you 100% what these bite marks are.")
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rhino0924

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Healthly Anxiety is the Ultimate Goal.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Rabies fear
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 05:59:07 PM »
Heya astro, let's try something here.

Lets examine the evidence. You have 3 presumable bite marks on your stomach which occurred during sleep. Do you sleep without covers? Do you sleep outside? Do you sleep in a cave?

I assume you sleep with covers and it's a no for the other two. Moving down that path let's assume that a bat lives in your bed room or house. Firstly bats LOVE dark places. I assume you have already looked at those locations like under your bed, dresser, night stands, etc.
Bats by nature are easily threatened meaning while looking for them you would have spooked it in your room for instance. I assume that is not the case. That would mean the bat would have hidden in your house until lights went off. Then it had to find you.

While all that is reasonable, let's further assume it did find you. Now it would have to land on your bed, then crawl under your covers onto your stomach and finally bite you. Then crawl away from your covers, and finally return to it's hiding place. Now here is the kicker to this. Why would a bat choose your stomach under covers rather than an exposed location like your face or scalp or arm?

I do understand your fear and anxiety associated with bats, however the likely hood a bat would bite you is extremely rare. Not to mention the most common bat you will see is a fruit bat and not a vampire bat. Further more vampire bats feed on animals over humans due to location and accessibility. Your fears are warranted, however your bite marks are more likely spider bites and/or bed bug bites. Non lethal and non threatening unless you live outside in the amazon.

Best advice i can give you is to research bats more thoroughly. Face your fear and learn their patterns and diet. Humans are not their top meal choice :)

Bookmark and Share
“Those who think they have no time for exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness.”  ~Edward Stanley

“Today, more than 95% of all chronic disease is caused by food choice, toxic food ingredients, nutritional deficiencies and lack of physical exercise.”  ~Mike Adams

Offline astroturf

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 06:33:29 PM »
Thank you so much. This is very helpful.

I keep telling my husband to walk me through the logic. Logic really is the opposite if anxiety I think.

Thank you for such a thoughtful post.
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 07:47:07 PM »
Lets keep in mind, in your original post you said they were 3 bumps that opened up when you kept scratching at them.  Bumps are not bites or punctures and calling them that when they are not will not help your anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline astroturf

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 09:28:17 PM »
True. Good point.

Would you believe I "tested" the theory by scratching on the other side to see if I could recreate the dots.

Isn't HA fun??
Bookmark and Share

Tags: