Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Neuro Symptoms - Can It Take Over 1 1/2 Years For Progression of Symptoms?  (Read 325 times)

Offline wufdude

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Perceived weakness in one left/foot for over 1 1/2 years.  First started fearing the worst [ALS,MS].  Seemed to come and go although always faintly there.  Lately, it seems a bit worse. with alot of calf/quad cramping.

I have to assume that if it was something really bad, my symptoms would have gotten far worse after this amount of time, right?  Just need some reassurance.

Anxiety has always been an issue for me so I generally can work through it - just seems tougher right now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dmcrae22

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
It's safe to say that if it were something serious, it would have progressed within the last 1 1/2 years. ALS is very progressive and unfortunately the average life span is 2-5 years. Plus there is no coming and going with the symptoms. Once those neurons begin to die, complete loss of function occurs within weeks to a month and then they are dead. With either MS or ALS, there isn't really any perceived weakness. The symptoms are very pronounced as the nerves are actually being damaged or are dying.

As I'm sure you know, anxiety can cause perceived weakness as well as cramping. I'd look at taking another step forward in addressing your anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Perceived weakness is just anxiety...if you are not able to lean on that leg, have difficulty walking, doing squats then it's real weakness and neurologist should be consulted. Try not to pay any attention to it,, even though I know it's very hard thing to do.
Bookmark and Share

Offline michelle360

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
That's not MS.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: