Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: well, it's happening, i could use advice  (Read 452 times)

Offline reece

• Rec's: 13
    • Poke This Member
well, it's happening, i could use advice
« on: January 08, 2014, 08:50:25 AM »
yep. they wore me down after 9 years and now we are getting a puppy. my son and husband are so excited. guess what i am? anxious.
yep

so, as an HA sufferer, it's just so anxiety provoking to get a dog. i have a whole list of fears associated with this. i need some advice on how to minimize my anxiety, especially during puppyhood.
here is my list of fears associated with getting a dog:
ticks - mainly rocky mountain spotted fever and infestation(i have infestation fears)
fleas - infestation
worms- eww
rabies - obviously, the dog will be vaccinated, but you know how our minds wonder.
germs-just plain germs.
salmonella-from treats and dog food. don't want my son to touch either of these things
poop-poop on their butt, poop on my floor, cleaning up poop, possibly dog eating poop, stepping in poop- poop=bacteria

so, i will of course use a flea/tick topical, which should work - although i hear they are getting resistant...she will be vaccinated, etc
what is the best way to curb my anxiety about the pooping during potty training. i have mostly hardwood floors, so i can clean up easily but what should i use? i don't want to just use vinegar/water  cause i feel like that doesn't really kill germs good enough. it's not strong enough in my opinion. too scared of bleach. should i use something like lysol wipes? i'm going to be wearing cleaning gloves probably all day for the next year! LOL

so, advice on that is appreciated. also, any advice or schedule for puppy training would be helpful too. i am more nervous than when i was going to have a baby. i don't know what to do or how to train. i'm reading up on it, but she will be here in 10 days!
Bookmark and Share

Offline BrookeAshley1

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • I may not know where I'm going but I'm on my way.
    • Poke This Member
Re: well, it's happening, i could use advice
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 09:06:18 AM »
First off, congrats on the new addition to your family! Dogs are really great animals and I hope beyond the anxiety, you find joy in her arrival!

As a fellow germaphobe, and pet owner... I will give you a little insight. Usually when getting a cat or dog, whoever you purchase from should give you a paper with the animals vaccinations, check ups, etc they've received so far. Of those one of them should be a fecal test, which tests the animal for worms. That should indicate the animal is free of that. Also during an exam the vet should check for fleas. So as long as you receive that paperwork, you should have good faith that the animal is healthy and ready to be home.

As for accidents and clean up, expect there will be accidents. I'm not sure how old the dog is but you said puppy, so I assume she's not completely trained, if at all. I would use lysol wipes to clean up any messes. Just keep them on hand along with paper towels and bags.

Training tips i have are if the dog is very young, they need to go out way more often. Usually about ever hour to hour and a half.

Try not to worry, dogs are the most common household pet. I grew up with a dog and have rescued many cats and never got sick from any of them. Try not to let the anxiety take over the happiness and excitement of getting a new dog. I know its difficult, but you can overcome this and its most likely really great exposure for you!

Good luck!
Bookmark and Share
Giving up is always an option, but it is never my choice.

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 07:43:03 AM »
thank you for your encouragement and advice. it will truly be exposure therapy, that's for sure.

there are so many pet food/pet treat recalls now that i'm scared to touch, or let my son touch, any food or treats. this is a big fear that i'm not sure how i'll overcome....

anyway, you'll probably see a lot more of me in the weeks to come. i know my stress will be high, which will likely fuel my HA. however, on the other side, i may not have time to be online! i think getting a puppy will be like having a newborn!
Bookmark and Share

Offline BrookeAshley1

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • I may not know where I'm going but I'm on my way.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 09:38:52 AM »
I wouldn't worry about the dog treats or food. I know thats easier said than done, but my daughter touches the food and feeds treats. She has never gotten ill. I think this problem is extremely exaggerated by news sources. Many kids feed treats, and even have eaten them. Thats just how kids are. My daughter would constantly, when she was younger, get into the dog water dish, and food. If it concerns you, just don't let him eat the food or treats (you obviously wont) and wash his hands if he feeds a treat or touches the food. I think you'll come to find that he doesn't get sick  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share
Giving up is always an option, but it is never my choice.

Offline middlenamehypochondria

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 09:53:39 AM »
Hi,

Congratulations on getting a dog!  My two dogs have been amazing when it comes to calming my anxiety.  I will admit I once thought I had rabies but after extensive research realized I was being ridiculous.  Here is an example to show you how far I came:  I was actually bit by a dog and didn't want to go to the doctor, I wasn't worried.  My boss was the one that had practically force me to go and get a shot and antibiotic.  Many fears are of the unknown and this will help you a lot!!   One thing, puppies use their teeth to explore, I guarantee you will have small little bite marks on your hands but I assure you it will be okay!!! There is no way to stop this because it is how they learn.  My dog has lyme disease, meaning she had a tick in her at one point and I sleep with her.  I am just fine!  I have had anxiety for 25 years and I know things can be very real and very scary but I assure you in the long run you will find a dog is amazing therapy!!!  Now, going into this you say you know you will have anxiety which is fine, but it also sets you up for failure.  Perhaps go into this saying I am doing an amazing job overcoming my fears and this is a big step towards me and my family enjoying life!!  Please feel free to send me a personal message.  After realizing how much a dog made my life more enjoyable I began volunteering with dog rescue.  I am happy to answer any questions you have. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Air Nomad

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 03:36:00 PM »
I agree with middlenamehypochondria - dogs have actually been shown to CALM anxiety and are often very therapeutic.  They are such wonderful animals and, even though I don't know you, I would guess that once you actually have the dog and see how full of love it is for you and your family your thinking will change.  Messes are part of having pets, but what you get in return far outweighs a little cleanup at first.  You will love him/her! :-D
Bookmark and Share
Sokka: "Do you want me to be like you or be totally honest?"
Katara: "Are you saying I'm a liar?"
Sokka: "No, I'm saying you're an optimist. Same thing really."
(This is me and my husband to a tee)

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 07:31:08 AM »
thank you all so much. i like the suggestion of looking at it as conquering a fear, thanks for that.
i will try :)

i had a dog for 13 years(she died 9 years ago)  i loved her alot. but, one day, she got a tick on her. she was on frontline, so it died, i found it on the couch. then i kept finding dead ticks in my house(3 or 4 of them). i totally lost it. hence began my fear of ticks and tick infestation. the frontline was killing the ticks, but .... we lived in a rental duplex at the time and the grass must've been infested. it was short grass, not even where you'd normally find ticks. at that time, i only feared ticks and infestation, then later, my HA kicked in, and i started to worry about diseases from ticks. i've been OK on that front, except for when my son goes camping, but mainly that's because i haven't had a dog so i didn't really have any "exposure". now i will, and i'm sure the anxiety is going to come back. i'm just trying to not be blindsided by it. thanks for your help....
Bookmark and Share

Tags: