Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Alternatives or Additions to SSRIs..  (Read 212 times)

Offline bbxjr

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Alternatives or Additions to SSRIs..
« on: January 07, 2014, 05:13:19 PM »
I was in my local "Vitamin Shoppe" and was scratching my head looking at some of the supplements available for the treatment of Anxiety and Depression. I would like to know if anyone has found any supplements that work as well (or better) than SSRIs, or if anyone has found supplements that can be used in conjunction with SSRIs to treat Anxiety/Depression/Panic?
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Alternatives or Additions to SSRIs..
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 06:41:19 PM »
I would like to know if anyone has found any supplements that work as well (or better) than SSRIs, or if anyone has found supplements that can be used in conjunction with SSRIs to treat Anxiety/Depression/Panic?

You could try omega-3/fishoil capsules at up to 4-6 per day as they seem to aid neurogenesis. Start on one and increase by a capsule every 3-4 days. Do not take any supplement containing the serotonin precursors 5-HTP or L-Tryptophan as they may trigger serotonin syndrome. Daily exercise is also good.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline bbxjr

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 02:32:50 PM »
I was wondering about the Omega-3 Fish Oil, I'm going to try that! Thanks!

I do try and exercise in some way on a daily basis, I also take a multivitamin, and drink a natural protein supplement for breakfast. Which all seem to help! If I skip something for a week, I definitely notice a difference in my anxiety and overall feeling of healthiness.

Does anyone have any experience with 5-HTP or L-Theanine or GABA or anything else?

Bookmark and Share

Offline kutekat

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 02:49:18 PM »
like Ian said, the only supplement that would work is omega 3 fish oil. I personally suggest daily exercise, when I did it I felt good about myself and my mind. But...due to having a panic attack during an exercise session, I stopped doing it completely.  :angry:
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 06:36:28 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with 5-HTP or L-Theanine or GABA or anything else?

Both the serotonin precursors 5-HTP and L-trytophan are contraindicated if you're taking any serotonergic antidepressant. Their promotion for anxiety and depression is based on a flawed premise, that these disorder are caused by too little serotonin in the brain. The opposite is the case. Antidepressants actually reduce serotonin levels in areas of the brain associated with anxiety/depression after a few weeks. There is also a risk of developing Eosinophilia–Myalgia Syndrome.

L-Theanine

Some with very mild anxiety and/or depression claim it helps, but the research shows limited results.

GABA

There are two problems with this. Firstly, orally taken GABA can't penetrate the blood-brain-barrier (BBB) so the safest way of taking GABA supplements is to drop them into the toilet and flushing. The results will be exactly the same and you'll avoid the risk of choking on the tablets. There are several GABA analog meds such as pregabalin (Lyrica) and gamma-vinyl GABA (Vigabatrin) which do deliver GABA into the brain, but they have only moderate effects at best, probably because this GABA isn't taken up by GABA receptors and affects glutamate pathways instead.

Secondly, no reasonably well functioning brain lacks GABA. It is a by-product of the process that fuels the brain and is so abundant that the BBB has billions of tiny pumps to remove the excess.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: