Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Appendicitis  (Read 457 times)

Offline Swabby

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Appendicitis
« on: January 06, 2014, 11:33:14 PM »
Okay... So this probably sounds crazy but here it goes. I travel for work a couple times a year. Sometimes by plane. This time I am flying to Europe which is about a 8 hr flight (in addition to a small connection flight in the states)

Lately I have been scared of Appendicitis... Of getting it. I learned about it because about a year ago someone I knew had it and didn't get it treated in time. I'm afraid I will either get it at an unopportune time or won't be able to get assistance quick enough.

I am pretty healthy, eat decent (fiber, fruits, etc)

I just can't seem to shake this madness. I worried about it last year a little (that ares got sore after a long car ride)..

Does anyone have any advice?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Appendicitis
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 06:09:31 AM »
If it happens it happens. One of those things we have no control over at all. But most people will go through life without anything wrong in that area at all. They will never need them taken out at all. That is the simple truth of how it works. Some it will hit. The majority it won't hit. You fear is more because of this person you know. That is the only reason it is on your mind. Before that I bet you never even thought about it at all. It was never a worry. But the more you focus on it the more the mind may begin to mimic the symptoms. Best to try and move past the whole idea. What happened to your friend was a rare thing. You have to accept this. You seem like you are in good shape. I see no reason for you to worry at all.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 07:55:45 AM »
I looked this up and I read the risk of appendicitis in a lifetime is around 7%, with the peak occurrence between the
ages of 10 and 30.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline jwall378

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 08:09:28 AM »
That's what health anxiety is all about. We're worrying about irrational illnesses that we have a very slim chance of ever having. For example....I've a had a sharp chest/back pain for the past 24 hours. I know it's muscular related because when I twist my neck a certain way, it gets worse. But, in the back of my mind I keep thinking lung cancer or pulmonary embolism...and it's silly thought. Our problem is we dwell on "symptoms" and make them worse. Or we just simply worry about getting some horrible disease that we have a slim chance of ever getting.
Bookmark and Share
The more we think about things, the worse they get.

"Don't worry, about a thing. 'Cause every little thing's gonna be alright"-Bob Marley

Offline psychopika

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 08:10:00 AM »
What you eat is important, but apparently appendicitis has some genetic triggers as well, like a larger than normal appendix which is an inherited trait.

It's hard to predict when or where or IF appendicitis will strike.

I had mine removed preventively. Very easy surgery, by laparoscopy. No, it wasn't because of my health anxiety - my mother decided that for me when I was 12.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Swabby

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 12:48:56 AM »
Thanks everyone. I'm going to try to shut this fear down. All I can do is keep well, set right, and keep on keeping on! And be thankful I have Insurance that covers such things! Thanks everyone
Bookmark and Share

Offline Swabby

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 12:59:43 AM »
One last question. If it did ever strike, if i know the symptoms ( I researched it before ) would it be fairly easy to pin point and do you have some time to react?
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 05:52:00 AM »
There is a wide range of symptoms, but usually intense abdominal pain (which can be in the lower left side, lower right side or even the stomach) is the most typical sign. I would say you would have enough time to check this very unpleasant symptom, you could not ignore it easily. My brother had an intense, horrible stomach aches for 2 days before he went to the doctor and got surgery. It hadn't burst open and it had been 48 hours of pain.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Jen0721

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 09:46:51 PM »
I had mine removed last summer.  I was woken up in the middle of the night with painful cramping in my lower right abdomen (very different than having a stomach ache from the flu).  I had to lean to the side to ease the pain.  I just knew something wasn't quite right and drove myself to the hospital about three hours after the pain started. At the point when I went in, it was barely inflamed, meaning newly infected and still completely intact.  Surgery was no big deal and I was fine by the end of the week.  Trust me, you will know if something is wrong with it.   I was having major digestive issues after the birth of my son.  If you eat healthy, and have fairly normal bowel movements, no need to worry :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline sparkle

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 05:39:30 PM »
You are just like me! (Or I am just like you!) What's so messed up is I hadn't even HEARD of the appendix until a couple years ago when I had stomach pain and some lady at work asked me if I had my appendix taken out.... she really freaked me out and ever since then, I've had huge scary thoughts of it... I get a stomach ache and I automatically start to think it's my appendix! I've been to the doctor several times over the past few years because of stomach aches and she has felt my stomach and assured me that it couldn't be my appendix because if it were, I'd be in the worst pain ever...... Also, your appendix is located very low on your right side. I've never really had pain that low.

and I share your fears of getting sick while on vacation or flying or something.... I'm always afraid I'm gonna get really sick and be in some strange unknown area and not know where to go to get help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline loveya14

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 07:50:38 PM »
I had mine out this Past summer , I awoke in the night with pains that were slight went back toned but they kept getting stronger , after hours in ER and testing I got the news my appendix had to come out and they said surgery wouldn't be for hours ! Because the surgeon had to do other surgerys first .i was so shocked thought I would hv to be rushed in like in the movies . So don't stress your body will first gv u signs and u would have plenty of time IF IT WERE TO EVEN HAPPEN ! Try not to worry :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: